IGNORED

Jury rig the fan

Scott Deakin

Hi all,

I am in a panic... I know this is mostly a boxer forum, but you guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge about all things BMW...

I recently took the ferry from the UK to Santander to start a nice north south north ride through Spain. Ended up having it taken to a BMW dealership just outside Santander on a trailer as it overheated about one mile from the ferry terminal :(

Nice folks at the dealership took the time to quickly evaluate the issue. Seems the fan is not coming on correctly, causing a problem with city riding in the hot temperatures. Unfortunately they cannot properly fix it before I return home.

The recovery insurance has given me a hire car. I am so miserable...

I was wondering if it might be possible to wire up the fan to be permanently on. I thought the thermostat would still regulate the heat properly and I can then still use it on my trip.

Any thoughts? (BTW I posted this on the i-bmw forum too - I am really really desperate!!)

Cheers,

Scott

Quick update - Garage cannot confirm that the fan is 100% ok and not at fault, so I will not be able to rely on it anyway. Hey ho, try again next year! :)

Hi Kathy,

It's a 2007 K1200GT. It gets a lot of abuse over the winter and it looks like the fan is corroded to buggery. I need to remember to get the hose out after getting back from work :)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I ended up traveling around Spain in a Car :( Still got to see some nice stuff, but the journey between points was not exactly what I had in mind :)

After I got back to the UK, the repair bill ended up just over £1,000 as it also needed a service. I decided to trade the K1200GT for a K1300GT (2010). Tried the K1600GT out, but was not keen on it - impressive bike and handled well for the size, but just did not seem as much fun as the K1300GT. Also the K1300GT is just like my K1200GT, but without all the flaws!

I need a new sig now...

Archived