IGNORED

Car vs motorcycle "LEFT TURN"

motorman587

Read the article. I am sorry for the lost of life and am not making fun, but as in law enforcement on a death of officer I like to learn from the errrors the officer/rider made. With that said in the article I noticed "laid" the motorcycle down. (1) To me that means improper braking and the rider locked the front brake and crashed, sliding into the vehicle that violated his right of way possibly. (2) Flipping the vehicle on it's side and I think speed.

(3) Motorcycle came to a controlled stop?? It is sliding on it's side, how is that controllable.??

Again RIP rider and Marine.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/FHP-Fatal-Accident-Along-Blountstown-Highway-221577491.html?device=tablet

I think it's just typical terrible reporting. I don't know how the reporter could possibly know that the rider intentionally 'laid the bike down', more likely he just grabbed too much front brake in the heat of the moment (some FZ1 models have ABS but my guess is that this one didn't.) And who knows how they came up with the phrase 'controlled stop.' As always, very sad all the way around.

Unless I misunderstood, Zachary Thomas was a LEO riding his own motorcycle?
He wasn't a LEO. Is it my comment about as in a death of a LEO?? What I mean in that is when we go to training they alway show video's where LEO dies and the instructiors stated we can learn from other mistakes if mistakes where made.

I didn't see in all of this where the front brake was applied at full braking to cause the accident. If the bike had a large rear brake pedal and the person was used to using it over the front then yes this could happen.

75% of braking is on the front and if used properly you don't need the rear brakes.

There is something I'm missing in all this........

A panicked rider locking the rear brake is almost as likely to end with "Laying it down" as overdoing the front. Best to either keep your skills at threshold braking extra sharp, or buy the ABS.

A panicked rider locking the rear brake is almost as likely to end with "Laying it down" as overdoing the front. Best to either keep your skills at threshold braking extra sharp, or buy the ABS.

I would have to respectfully disagree on this one. This comes from teaching and from crash investigations. I rider can stay on a motorcycle longer with a rear wheel skid then a front one. A front wheel skid, depending on speed can be long, but about a second and you will go down. A rear wheel skid a rider can "ride" that one out exprienced or not. I am not an one of those engineering types that can explain on paper. My exprience has been done in person. Longest front wheel skid I have done was 12 feet in a controlled environment.

I think it's just typical terrible reporting. I don't know how the reporter could possibly know that the rider intentionally 'laid the bike down', more likely he just grabbed too much front brake in the heat of the moment (some FZ1 models have ABS but my guess is that this one didn't.) And who knows how they came up with the phrase 'controlled stop.' As always, very sad all the way around.

Probably investigated by a non motorcyclist and article written by a non motorcyclist. When I work motorcycle crash and physical evidence clear shows improper braking, locking of either wheels, I will put in my report improper braking. I have experience in the years of teaching, investigating and testifying. Disclaimer I am no way saying that this rider did anything wrong without looking first at any evidence beside just this article.

Dave_zoom_zoom

I would have to respectfully disagree on this one. This comes from teaching and from crash investigations. I rider can stay on a motorcycle longer with a rear wheel skid then a front one. A front wheel skid, depending on speed can be long, but about a second and you will go down. A rear wheel skid a rider can "ride" that one out exprienced or not. I am not an one of those engineering types that can explain on paper. My exprience has been done in person. Longest front wheel skid I have done was 12 feet in a controlled environment.

TRUE

I have a friend (thankfully he's still alive) that was approaching a curve too fast. He foolishly locked up his rear wheel and left a skid mark over 300 ft. long before he crashed. He was able to stay upright and ride it out until he went off the road.

The really sad part is that if he would have been using his front brake, not only could he have made the curve ok. He could have actually stopped in that distance. A sad story that he still pays for dearly to this day.

Dave

Archived