IGNORED

The Un XIII Location Is. . .

EffBee

We had two excellent proposals for the 2014 UnRally. After review and consideration, the Admin Team has selected the proposal for “Potlatch on the Palouse.” This UnRally will be located in the Pullman, WA / Moscow, ID area, amid beautiful green rolling hills and farmland. If you wish to read more about the Palouse region, here is the WikiPedia link

The organizers have selected an area with grand vistas, sweeping roads, good off-roading, some waterfalls and rivers, and a rich history. Plus you're within about 80 miles of Coeur d' Alene for a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner ride, and not far from Lewsiton/Clarkston where there's a BMW dealer (minimalist, as I recall, but there nevertheless). Walla Walla is a great ride, as is if you keep going to the tri-cities (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland) on the mighty Columbia. Heading north from the Un, Spokane is about an hour and a half. For the hearty, Missoula, MT is 10 hours out and back on some incredible roads. And that's just for starters. The number of destinationless out-and-back loops is huge.

In time, the Un Team will be announcing the exact location (city and the hotel) as well as opening up a registration link, which will be required before you can book the hotel. At that time, they will also be announcing registration fees, payment methods, and other details.

The dates are expected to be mid-June, with he rally occupying three weekdays, leaving the weekends before and after for travel to/from. The organizers will explain about event T-shirts and our group dinner which is traditionally held on the last night of the event.

The Un organizers have a fair bit of work ahead of them, and will be filling you in on the details soon. They will open up a new thread for all pertinent discussion related to this event. We’re all very excited. It’s going to be a great UnRally, in a part of the country where we’ve not had one yet. The weather will likely be cool-to-moderate (that far north and that early), and the weather across the states will hopefully be likewise temperate, making it easier for more of you to attend and then get home comfortably.

No commercial interest, but I’ve been looking over the Butler Motorcycle map for Idaho the last month. It will give you some great ideas. Also Destination Highways has some suggested routes in Eastern Washington that I have found very nice in the past.

Or you could search for video of the Old Lewiston (Spiral) Highway, Whitebird Grade or Rattlesnake Grade. They should pique your interest and get your blood flowing and hands and feet twitching!

Mike Cassidy

lots of great roads around there, 3 days just won't be enough to ride them all,

mike; i drove the rattlesnake in 09 in the boxster, and it was what looked like fresh chip seal, was that the year they did it, have you benn down it since then?

Awesome!

I don't know if I can make it that far west with the time I can get off, but I will do my damnedest :thumbsup:

+1 on Awesome! :clap:

Just plan on an Iron Butt ride there and back. :thumbsup:

Passed through that general area just a week ago, While going from the Denver area to Olympic NP I picked up highway 12 near Lolo pass and followed 12 all the way to highway 101 on the west coast of Washington. Beautiful country!

This is one UN you don't want to skip. Even I may come!

Stan

Sounds like a great location. Mapquest says 1845 miles from Casa Goodwin to Pullman. Now that's a trip. :clap:

Murray G. It has been some time since we met Malcolm Smith together at Gun #1. Heck if you are there we don't need Malcolm. You can stand in for him

If you can't make it maybe we can invite him to the Un???

This should be a winner and definitely one I will make since I count only 9 hours riding from Calgary!

look forward to meeting up with y'all. (my first and only UN to date was UN X in Little Switzerland

Rattlesnake grade is a regular for me as it is on a 350 mile dayride loop from home. Have ridden it multiple times each direction this season, the direction in my world is determined by my mood. It is in wonderful shape and weekdays, midday are best due to traffic and road rats. June is best month of the year . By then most of the cinders have blown off and the number of rocks dragged onto the corner from fifth wheels and camp trailers are minimal. Yesterday running northbound was great other than the cloud cover causing lack of definition in the corners. This area is a great location for sure with the caveat of a safety corridor around Colfax. I have been written for 62 in a 60 and they made it stick.

Nando, be nice to Mac's. I think that their longevity as a BMW dealer when viewed in terms of their market area speaks volumes to their service.

Nando, be nice to Mac's. I think that their longevity as a BMW dealer when viewed in terms of their market area speaks volumes to their service.

Fair enough. I was there once about 12 years ago and the BMW section looked like an afterthought. Probably not fair to categorize them without a more recent visit. I'll reserve further judgment.

Lone_RT_rider
Awesome!

I don't know if I can make it that far west with the time I can get off, but I will do my damnedest :thumbsup:

+1 on Awesome! :clap:

Just plan on an Iron Butt ride there and back. :thumbsup:

Time may not be the only issue for us traveling east. Last Torrey I attended I was more concerned about getting home on PR2's! Tires are getting more expensive and don't last near as long. This trip would add another 1K in distance. I have a feeling there is no way I can do it on a single set of tires. :(

Un%202014%20route-X2.jpg

I got more than 10k out of a front and more than 5k out of a rear PR3 on my RT recently. A great deal of the life of the rear tire included very heavily loaded two up very high speed touring.

Lone_RT_rider
I got more than 10k out of a front and more than 5k out of a rear PR3 on my RT recently. A great deal of the life of the rear tire included very heavily loaded two up very high speed touring.

I'm on my 3rd set or PR3's, one set of which went to Torrey and back and lasted the longest of the 3 sets at 6K miles for the rear. The next set last 5500 on the rear tire and the set I have on the bike right now is at 5K on the nose and is sitting at the wear bar. Even if they last 6K, that means I can ride out and back and maybe ride 750 safe miles while I am there.

Time may not be the only issue for us traveling east. Last Torrey I attended I was more concerned about getting home on PR2's! Tires are getting more expensive and don't last near as long. This trip would add another 1K in distance. I have a feeling there is no way I can do it on a single set of tires. :(
All my trips west have required a tire exchange before getting home. Tires used are miles of smiles! :)

After the UN, I plan to go to my daughters and son-in-laws place in Incline,NV (north Lake Tahoe) and leave the bike there. I can get a reasonable flight from Reno to DC and head back in the fall to pickup the bike. Hope to time it so that I can stop at Fall Torrey or the Fall FART on the way back to DC. :thumbsup:

3000 miles from Tampa to the Un XIII. Hmmm. I've done this before:

1. Ride from FL to WA.

2. Leave the bike there and fly home.

3. Fly back in the cool fall to ride the bike home.

It works well.

Sounds interesting. Might consider going to visit Wurty and maybe stopping in if there's still room. No, we never had an unrally up there, but I do remember one pretty darn close, just about 275 miles south.

• 1 month later...

I would dearly love to make this one. I was born in Montana and lived in Coeur D'Alene until I was four so I really have very little memories of the area. However, next years vacation time is now spoken for. A week of Cub Scout camp with my son and a week in Maine for Moms 95th birthday. I hope to make at least one of the east coast rides though.

I would dearly love to make this one. I was born in Montana and lived in Coeur D'Alene until I was four so I really have very little memories of the area. However, next years vacation time is now spoken for. A week of Cub Scout camp with my son and a week in Maine for Moms 95th birthday. I hope to make at least one of the east coast rides though.

fly and drive....

or rent...

• 1 month later...

I think I'm going to try and wrap this into another planned destination. Got a friend in Colorado but I don't have the time to blow getting to WA and back to FL. Maybe, I'll ship the bike out to WA, hit the UN, then ride to CO and surrounding areas and ship the bike back to FL...

Thinking Cap...ON!

Nice location, about 1K miles and 22 hours from my place. Sounds like a potential SS1000!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3556#Post3556

My first, and only documented/certified, Ironbutt ride. Nice roads, especially east and south of Moscow/Pullman. Been through there a few times since then. It's a great place to ride to, through and around so if you are on the fence, just GO.

I might need to start looking up some dirt routes in and out of there . . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have plans for John Day, OR and Morton, WA or somewhere like that in August for Moto Guzzi functions. Riding the RT to the Palouse in June will give a great comparison of it and the 1100-EV. Looks like a great season in the offing! I'll try to make this trip for sure.

• 1 month later...

I lived in the PNW for 6 years and this event would be an awesome time to visit the east side. Can't wait for details!

Archived