IGNORED

K1300GT left switch gear

Saxon

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of replacing the left hand switch gear themselves? I recently picked up a 2009 bike with only 1500 miles but it looks like the switches are playing up, no ESA or ASC were working and it seems like the switch is not activating these.

I tried to pull the switch apart tonight and clean with electrical cleaner but it seems to have made things worse and I have now lost some other functions! As it is out of warranty I thought I would try to replace with a used unit but it seems difficult to remove, any advice on best options or how to remove the unit?

Great bike to ride but getting nervous about reliability already!

Thanks

Firefight911

Stop where you are!

There is an active recall on these switches. Run down to your local dealer, give them your VIN, and they'll get you sorted.

Electrical cleaner won't work on the wafer switches. These are a completely different design from previous iteration BMW models. They tend to act up under direct light/heat issues. Many times they "work" again after cooling or after getting them wet. Not kidding and DAMHIK, it'll raise the ire of those who drink the Kool-Aid.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try although I have read some threads that seem to indicate after the warranty expires BMW won't help, at least here in England!

I will contact the nearest good dealer though and see what they say.

Many thanks

Firefight911

Not sure how the UK handles things but here in the states warranty and recall are entirely separate. Recalls are applicable irrespective of warranty status.

I'd definitely have a go as it was/is a very well known issue that necessitated all switch clusters be replaced. They stopped delivery of US K bikes for a short time until they were replaced.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lemans,

Unfortunately my nearest dealer would not consider replacing under warranty and I had to get it done before a tour, although they did carry out a cam chain guard mod recall at the same time as fitting a new LH switch.

The new switch gear cost just over £300 with fitting but all is working again and is now guaranteed for 2 years. It might have been different if I had bought the bike form that dealer but it was a private sale so perhaps not the same interest was shown.

This dealer did say that they had changed a couple of switches in the past but denied that there was a particular issue with them or any recall in the UK!

Archived