IGNORED

New guy with clutch spline issues

ewd

First off - hello from a newbie to the site. I've been lurking for a while and decided that this is THE site to get an answer to my questions.

My issues started just a week ago when I began having trouble downshifting my 2000 1100R with about 27,000 miles, usually from 4th to 3rd, but ocassionally from 3rd to 2nd. My first thought was that is was temperature related (been in the low 40's recently when I road) in that the linkage or some other part was binding due to contraction of the metal, or possibly thickening of the transmission fluid.

I've been reading the past threads here and on the MOA site about this being one of the early warning signs of dry or failing clutch splines, but my somewhat limited understanding of the workings of the splines has me wondering why this problem would be related to the condition of the splines.

My first thought was that the splines were just the method to connect the transmission to the clutch and had no relation to the workings of the transmission itself. In my case the fact that when downshifting the action is completely blocked, as if the internal shift dogs were hung up or the gears were not meshed, did not lead me to belive that the splines played any part in my problem. By double clutching I have been able to shift, which again led me to believe that it was a misalignment within the transmission.

As I understand the posts I have read the thinking is that the wearing of the splines is interfering with the action of the clutch as it moves along the splines, which is the cause of the shifting problem. If this were correct why wouldn't the problem be felt in the clutch lever, not the shift lever? We all know you don't need to use the clutch to shift. Do the clutch plates really move along the splines during operation of the clutch?

The point of my questions is I want to be sure the splines are the cause of my problem before I spend the time/money to pull the thing apart to lube the splines. I don't want to get into whether this is BMW's fault (it's way out of warranty anyway) I just want to be sure it's what needs to be done.

Thanks for any suggestions. Hope this wasn't to long for a new guy. grin.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Welcome.

The search function on this bulliten board is very useful for things like this. Try using "+" in front of the words you're looking for. I found this, but I knew what I was looking for:

+splines +measure +clutch +starter and change the time line to 10 weeks or newer. You might try another, broader search too.

Don't forget to make sure the lever linkage is properly installed and adjusted before you go any further.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post617804

hi ewd

In answer to part of your question you won,t always feel it in the clutch , as long as your cable is ok to disengage and the pressure plate petals move the clutch will feel ok,

everything moves on the splines so that the clutch can give effective action for changing, If you are going to do a spline lube check the clutch while the box is out if you have any doubt change it , give everything an a1 clean lube it up put it back together and hey presto one good gear change. Make sure if possible you have an extra body to help you and a good workshop manual, if you need it i have a haynes manual i can download the referance chapters needed for you .

P.S WELCOME TO THE BOARD

DEREK

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Hello ewd...

I just did the spline lube job as a newbie and it was quite an experience. One of the things that made it slow and kind of frustrating for me is I didn't know in advance what tools and misc stuff I would need and kept having to stope to assemble the next set of items.

Below is a list of the stuff I needed...just kept track on my laptop as I went. May or may not be helpful...

If you have any questions about it PM me .

Good luck!! thumbsup.gif

Tools

Decent set of metric hex bits and sockets

30 mm socket

12 mm` hex tool

Clutch alignment tool

Clamps for gas lines

Heat gun or torch

2 ratcheting straps

17mm long socket if one forgets, as I did, to adjust the clutch before putting bike back together.

Touque Wrench(s)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts

Clutch disk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misc…Stuff

3 7mm 40mm 1.0 pitch bolts for starting transmission reasemble

Assorted Washers

Long 8mm 1.25 pitch carriage bolts with heads cut off for transmission removal …instilattion.

Vice

Hack Saw

Moly lube

Honda Moly 60 Paste

Krytox

Carb cleaner for cleaning splines

Wd 40 for breaking loose exhasust

Support for swingarm

Cardboard box for final drive

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Useful Information

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

1 pound foot = 1.355817952 Newton Meter

1 Kg-m = 9.80665 Newton Meter

Clutch plate bolts require 6mm hex tool torque spec 18 Nm = 13.276 ft pounds

\

Rear Shock Absorber Bolts 50 Nm = 36.9 ft/pd

Frame Bolts 4 Torque = ?

Muffler (Silencer) Clamp Bolt 50 Nm =36.9 ft/pd

Rear brake caliper mouning bolts 40 Nm = 29.5 ft/pd

As I understand the posts I have read the thinking is that the wearing of the splines is interfering with the action of the clutch as it moves along the splines, which is the cause of the shifting problem. If this were correct why wouldn't the problem be felt in the clutch lever, not the shift lever? We all know you don't need to use the clutch to shift. Do the clutch plates really move along the splines during operation of the clutch

The clutch must be able to slide on the splines to free itself from the rotational drag of the pressure plate plates.Once its free of engine load,the clutch plate and input shaft can match itself to the proper transmission gear speed so they will engage.

All you feel in the clutch is the spring pressure as it operates the pressure plates to engage and release the clutch.

Check your shifting linkage between the shift lever and transmission,these sometimes come loose and cause the same problem.

I live in Roanoke and will be glad to help you if needed.Just PM me.

Archived