IGNORED

Crash Bars by Wunderlich

RokRide

last one...

if anyone wants to explain how I can post a picture in the thread without making it an attachment i would be thankful.

I dont have a url... My pictures are on my pc

627881-DSCN0007.JPG.7f13358d664c94a3aba873a39ce18166.JPG

if anyone wants to explain how I can post a picture in the thread without making it an attachment i would be thankful.

There is a good set of directions for this on the "Discuss Board Support" forum.

In a nutshell, if you don't have a web site to host the pictures (I use ImageShack) you can use this site itself. Post in the "Discuss Board Support" forum (reply to the first note) and post your attachment there. Then click on it and save the address of the picture that shows up. Then when you have all those saved, post in the forum you want your real note to go in, and click the "image" link. Paste in the addresses you've saved from the first step(s) and you end up with:

627879-DSCN0006.JPG

627880-DSCN0005.JPG and

627881-DSCN0007.JPG

Thanks, how hard are they to install?

very simple.. everything bolts to existing(available) holes. Only need to remove one bolt.

its like 11 bolts and its on...

I installed some on my 04 r1150rt. I had to take off fairing and cut holes in it to mount the bars. They install much easier on the 05, 06 bikes.

I will install them on every bmw bike I buy. They are so much better than the protectors that most people buy. I dropped the bike once and didn't get a scratch on the fairing or motor.

Thanks for posting Rob. My friend was trying to order some from Touratech today but they are delayed 3-6 more months before they ship any according to the guy on the phone. He just odered some Wunderlich's today though. We have his bike torn apart with the fairing off in my workshop and were hoping to get the bars before we put the fairing back on. Thanks for the post and the pics.

We have his bike torn apart with the fairing off in my workshop and were hoping to get the bars before we put the fairing back on. Thanks for the post and the pics.

Actually you dont need to have the fairings off. I did it without removing anything.

The cross bar that mounts above the cylinders in the front of the motor is a little tricky to get the bolts in but as long as you have a 10"-12" exntension for your rachet its not to bad...

I installed some on my 04 r1150rt. I had to take off fairing and cut holes in it to mount the bars. They install much easier on the 05, 06 bikes.

I will install them on every bmw bike I buy. They are so much better than the protectors that most people buy. I dropped the bike once and didn't get a scratch on the fairing or motor.

Yes they are easy to install on the 05. NO removal of fairings needed.

Before I had the bars I thought I had the kickstand down but didnt.... I replaced the cylinder cover(didnt have to but wanted to) and it cost about 270 dollars.. the bars cost about 330 i think.... wish I had them sooner...

I am looking at adding these bars to my r1200gs. These look better than the bmw original as they have a horizontal bar as well as a vertical bar to protect the valve cover. It would seem to be possible to drop the bike with the bmw bar and still damage the valve cover. Are the smaller cheaper aluminium valve cover protectors a likely alternative?

John

Does the bar that runs horizontally front to rear extend out past the valve cover at all?

it does. if you were to lay the bike completely on its side it would rest on the front hoop and the rear bag. The valve cover would not hit. the lower bar under the valve cover does protect the lower portion of the valve cover.

I think Wunderlich has a picture of the RT after it was laid done while having the crash bars on. The bar and the rear bag took most of the damage....

I guess the rear bag cost more than the valve head(but i would rather not take a shot to the engine..), i believe they are working on rear bag protection bars...

I can confirm (don't ask me how) that when the bike is "set" down nothing touches but the guard and the saddlebag. Oh, by the way, I had no problems with installation despite the included German insturctions. I did have to remove some paint on the tube joint--tight fit--prior to insertion.

Oh, by the way, I had no problems with installation despite the included German insturctions. I did have to remove some paint on the tube joint--tight fit--prior to insertion.

BMW S scruz has the english version on their site.

I to had to remove some paint from the left side to get the bar in. Right side slide in fine...

Can you rest your feet on the bars while riding to stretch for a few minutes without using clamp-on pegs? I was thinking of getting Elf pegs this may be a better option.

Can you rest your feet on the bars while riding to stretch for a few minutes without using clamp-on pegs? I was thinking of getting Elf pegs this may be a better option.

I think your calves would get burnt..

The bars don't extend very far from the cylinder head and therefore would not function as a foot rest; Simply not enough bar to grab onto with your heel. frown.gif

Where did you get the crash bars? I looked on the internet and have not been able to find a place to sell them online except for Wunderlick Germany? Am I just blind?

Where did you get the crash bars? I looked on the internet and have not been able to find a place to sell them online except for Wunderlick Germany? Am I just blind?

Try here, and look in the "stylish accessories" section. My buddy ordered a set from them the other day though, and they were backordered, although they didn't seem to think it would be too long.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I also believe there are plastic clip-ons to protect the corner of the protection bars which can be easily replaced if they are scuffed.

Archived