IGNORED

Belstaff Discovery jacket

Mike_Thompson

Mike_Thompson

Last October I started looking around for a jacket to replace the one that I had sold when I moved to Singapore. Upon returning, I started riding my buddy’s other bike and needed a replacement. Looking at some of the other alternative such as BMW gear and the infamous Darien jacket, I needed something that is practical, useful, warm, waterproof, etc and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The Belstaff Discovery jacket is a winner for me. Everyone has a different opinion about jackets and you’re just lucky enough to read my opinion.

I was “lucky” enough to give the jacket a full test yesterday as we went for a ride and got caught in a freakish winter rain storm. Of course, we were in the mountains so I guess we shouldn’t have been too surprised. The jacket was very warm and very waterproof. The additional neck covering was a very welcome addition to the cold air that turned frigid as the day continued. I hadn’t expected the temperature to drop again after the cold front had moved through, but it seems to have been a good test day. I was riding a naked bike without a windshield and it was fuh-reezing! The jacket kept me nice and warm and made me realized that I didn’t miss the Gerbing that much. I’d rather have the Gerbing, but given the circumstances… I was still okay.

By the time I got home, my fingers, toes, legs, knees, and… um… boys, were rather chilled. I had to tell my wife I had been in the pool for a while to which I received a raised eyebrow. My upper body was doing just fine and made me very glad that I had made the investment. The rain we ran into chilled my buddy to the bone and we had to stop and pick him up some other garments to add extra layers of insulation due to his 3 layers not being quite sufficient.

If you’re looking for a good jacket that doesn’t cost a mortgage payment… this one will do.

Thanks,

MT

ShovelStrokeEd

I agree, combine it with a Gerbings jacket liner and it works on all but the hottest days where its ventilation falls a little short. Down here, its a 2 season jacket but I often will take it on long trips along with the pants in preference to my 1 piece 'stitch. Nice gear at a more moderate price than a BMW Savannah which is it's direct competition. I actually prefer the Bellstaff with its full time water proofing to the Savannah method of a waterproof liner. Wore mine this morning as it was in the low 40's. Jacket with liner, no heat, cozy Ed.

I'm an advocate too. I have the Discovery and the Savannah II and I'd say that the Belstaff is a 3 season jacket (fall, winter, spring) The Savannah is also a 3 season jacket but it is spring, summer, fall. With all vents open, the Savannah II is almost as good as a full mesh. I rode to work a couple weeks ago 25 miles at 16 degrees with the Discovery and it worked fine without electrics. Farther than that, I'd recommend at least a heated vest.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to find the best price on the Discovery? confused.gif

Thanks.

I would watch Ebay...I've gotten new Belstaff pants and gloves there and I've seen Discovery jackets also.

You could also pay full freight at www.belstaffusa.com and actually....the jacket would be worth it. I've read and heard nothing but wonderful reviews about it.

I believe the company "Belstaff" was purchased by an Italian company and now produces only sport clothes. I believe they sold the design, production, and name rights for motorcycle clothes to a new company under the name of "British Motorcycle Gear". I think they are located in San Diego but manufacture the clothes off shore. I could be wrong but this is the story I heard.

There is a venture capital group in Norcal that likes to buy well established names with poor sales. They finance growth and have turned around Ducati. They're behind the Texas outfit.

I'm curious........

Archived