IGNORED

Autocom Pro-7 music not in stereo (?)

UberXY

After deciding to abandon the low fidelity Autocom speakers, I bought a 3.5mm stereo (3 wire) female plug to replace the white speaker plug on the Autocom helmet wiring harness. I am going to use this plug with some earbuds, plus I figure I would also put a male 3.5mm plug on the speakers in case i ever wanted to use them again. This is a $5.00 alternative to buying the $50 Autocom Part 26 cable.

However, to my surprise, the Autocom speakers, and white connecting plug, are a 2 wire system, which means the music you are listening to with your XM/iPod/whatever via the Autocom is mono, not stereo.

Am I the only one who didn't know this until today?

Low fidelity speakers? In the right position my auto comm speakers rock. However, If so much as one mm out of position it can be a whole different world. Its important that the speakers rest on your ears, so you may need spacers (from autocomm) to push them up tighter to your ear. Its also imparative that the locator dimple on the speaker goes toward the front of the helmet and sits on your lobe right at your ear canal. Move speaker around to get optimal sound. Sounds great at highway speed. I run intercom, radio, radar, cb through mine, no problem.

GK

I was under the impression that the Pro M7 helmet speakers do NOT use a common ground wire, so there are some additional components necessary to wire in a standard stereo socket/plug.... hence the dedicated part number.

Are you sure it was stereo, or just sound coming out of two speakers?

It is stereo and hi-fi stereo at that. With the speakers mis-aligned they lack bass, set up properly they are excelent.

The UK has very strict rules on truth in advertising, Autocom advertise Hi-Fi Stereo and if this could not be independantly verified then they would be subject to significant penalties.

Go to an authorised Autocom Dealer - Autocom Tom could give you the name of your nearest, and they will help you set your Autocom up properly.

I had mine set up at the UK factory, like it says in the supplied literature, it makes a huge difference when speakers and mike are correctly positioned.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer with hi-fi stereo intercom.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

GearedForACure

I am going to install my autocom tonight, I thought that the speakers went inside (behind) the helmet padding. Are you saying that they belong on the outside of the padding right next to your ear?

I have been using Autocom for 7 years now and it is true that they HAVE to be in EXACTLY the correct (for you) position in order to appreciate the true potential of the sound.

However that been said, it was a royal pain in the buttocks to reach that 'nirvana' speaker placement space...AND when I upgraded helmets, (twice), it meant doing it all over again.

PLUS I found having the speakers against my ears was VERY irritating after 3-4 hours.

So for my new Autocom Active 7 and Schubert S1 I have ordered EB-6i's and Part #26. Since I normally use earplugs anyway it might be a better solution...

Good luck and patience!!

Jim

well, certain elements of a song, (like drums or synth) were coming into one side and certain other instrumental elements were coming into my other ear so, yeah, I am pretty sure it was stereo, just like when I plug my my-fi into my home system.

I think several of you are missing the point. The issue was the fact that UberXY wants to use in-ear speakers. He assumed that the Autocom Pro-7 speakers were a simple three-wire system (with a common ground) such that he could tap into it and plug in his in-ear speakers. Upon finding out that each Autocom Pro-7 speaker carries an independent ground wire, thus making this a FOUR-wire system, he was only able to connect it in a way that resulted in mono sound, not the stereo he was expecting. This surprised him.

Yes, it's true. The Pro-7 system uses independently grounded speakers. Therefore, if you want to use in-ear speakers, you have to use Autocom Part #26. Not only is this a cleaner, simpler way to go, but it also won't void your warranty.

I am going to install my Autocom tonight, I thought that the speakers went inside (behind) the helmet padding. Are you saying that they belong on the outside of the padding right next to your ear?

As for this question, no, you don't have to install the Autocom speakers on the OUTSIDE of the cheekpads. If you have a helmet that allows you to install them inside of the cheekpad's covering, that's fine. It makes the initial adjusting (to find the "ideal" speaker position) a bit of a pain, plus getting the speakers spaced correctly so that they seal gently against your ears is also more difficult. However, once done a good installation like that is clean and makes it easy to slide the helmet on and off. Just be sure that the only thing you are putting between the speakers and your ears is the cheekpad covering, not any padding or foam which will dull the sound of the speakers.

Low fidelity speakers? In the right position my auto comm speakers rock. However, If so much as one mm out of position it can be a whole different world. Its important that the speakers rest on your ears, so you may need spacers (from autocomm) to push them up tighter to your ear. Its also imparative that the locator dimple on the speaker goes toward the front of the helmet and sits on your lobe right at your ear canal. Move speaker around to get optimal sound. Sounds great at highway speed. I run intercom, radio, radar, cb through mine, no problem.

GK

All very true. For those of you who are doing your own headset installation, take a look at your speaker casings. They are oval in shape. The speakers themselves are round. But they are not located in the center of the oval. They are offset. The reason for this is to allow the speaker to change position within the helmet's ear pocket simply by rotating the speaker casings. This makes it much easier to find the ideal speaker position.

As has been pointed out, there is a dimple that can be felt through the foam speaker cover. It actually looks like a three-pointed Mercedes Benz star, but through the foam it just feels like a dimple. THIS is the center of the speaker.

Once you have positioned your speakers initially, put the helmet on and slide your finger up the side until you can feel the dimple on one of the speakers with your fingertip (either the left or right side, it doesn't matter, just complete the process for one, then do the other). Now, with your finger in the same position, flex it the other way just a little and notice where your fingertip touches your ear. Remove the helmet and touch the same spot on your ear.

How far away from the lower entry point to your ear canal are you? Typically this is not much more than 1/4 - 1/2 inch high/low and front/rear. Reposition the speaker, put the helmet on and check again. Once you get it spot on, do the other speaker. When both speakers are positioned correctly, and you have spaced them so that they gently seal against your ears, you're going to get great sound.

Now just make sure that the microphone is positioned up against your lips. It should be exactly 90-degrees to the direction of your voice (yes, being off by as little as 10 degrees can make a difference in how easily the VOX is tripped --- this is quality, sensitive equipment). With the mic properly positioned you'll have easy communication.

Well I must be missing sumpin here on this speaker installation...I have done 4 helmets in the past and ordered the EB6i 'cause I just didn't want to go thru the hassle again with the Schubert S1.

My problem was not with finding the 'sweet spot' using the 'digital probe' method, it was keeping the speakers in the exact spot during helmet doning and removal. Because you want/need to have the speakers as close to your ears as possible, the top of my ears, (which are not by the way, flush with my head...they do stick our a bit), would always 'fold over' as they brushed against the protruding, (slightly), speakers, and eventually the velcro holding the speakers would alow some movement. Result?, after a days riding the they would have 'moved/rotated' 1/8-1/4 inch in one direction or another...and everytime I re-positioned them the velcro was a little less effective in retaining the new position.

How do you stop this?? I tried putting the speakers 'behind' the ear pocket covering but it was hard to get the speakers to 'protrude' enough to 'touch' my ears...

Anyway I will see how the EB6i's work out. Fernando, is part # 26 the correct interface for the Active 7 Smart, and can I order it from Brown's? There is no dealer in Canada, let alone here in Eastern Ontario farmland.

Jim

Jak, try using a Helmet Slik. You won't believe how easily a helmet slides on using one of those. There's no way for your ears to hook under the speakers and move them.

As for the Part 26, yes we have them but we don't ship outside of the U.S. Sorry. However, Autocom USA does have them (they're only sold out of complete Kits, not accessories) and they'll be glad to sell one to you. 888-851-4327, ext 2.

Thanks Fernando, just hung up the phone with Melanie at TopGear...part #26 is on its way!!

Jim

P.S. My SO uses a helmet Silk and loves it, I'm not sure I'm ready to suffer the slings and arrows of my riding buddies if I start putting on a 'little silk hat' before my helmet crazy.gif

Archived