IGNORED

PC-V Power Commander 2012 RT

RSH

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a PC-V for my 2012 R 1200 RT. The bike is in perfect tune and running fine (7200 miles). I bought the PC-V because I like to tinker with my bikes & should it work, so much the better. At best I hope it helps get that very high first gear going a bit smoother on take-offs. I am used to the dry clutch and have no problems with stalling it or smoking it up.

The PC-V has worked great on my other bikes with a seat-of-the-pants-dyno result of about 3-5 HP gain. And smoother running, especially in the 2000-4500 RPM range.

I have read all that I can find on the subject and there is not too much info on the newer RT's.

One thing that concerns me is that the directions call for disconnecting the O2 sensor and leaving it that way.

Putting aside emissions debates and so on, does anyone know if the CANBus or ZEF will freak-out or show an error code all the time, as a result of the O2 sensors being disabled?

I ordered it from FuelMoto.com who has been great to deal with before. It is coming with the map suggested by DynoJet for a stock setup.

Another reason I ordered it is that my riding buddy's new 2013 Triumph Trophy walks away from me on high-way roll-ons or just taking off from a dead stop and I just can't have that. Hoping I may gain a few HP and at least keep up with him. BTW - I would not trade for the TT, it is heavy, not quite the same quality of parts, the foot pegs are in a funny place (34" inseam), love the volume control on the RT compared to the TT & he is having all the usual 1st year recall problems that one would expect.

Anyway, if anyone knows about the O2 sensor question a reply would be appreciated and in addition, if anyone else is thinking about buying a PC-V for their 2009 to 2012 RT, I would be happy to give a report on the results once I get it installed and ride down my favorite & familiar roads.

I know there has been much debate on this subject & I have taken in account all the great advice offered on this site & others into consideration and decided the only way to really find out is to try it out.

I am not concerned if I have to disconnect it and sell it on eBay at a loss or about warrantee issues.

Thank you in advance!

Guest Kakugo

Get the Autotune add on with wideband O2 sensors.

Bloody expensive but worth every penny if you don't have a Dynojet tuner near you but want to get get the perfect AFR.

On the issue of O2 sensors. No idea if the bike will start throwing codes but if I remember right the bike runs in closed loop mode up to about 4000rpm so I take just running the PCV is a bit like "forcing" the bike to run in open loop mode all the time. Not 100% on this.

Morning RSH

You can run with the o2 sensors disconnected if you want to try that. Doesn't seem to hurt the 02 sensors or really effect the fueling computer operation. I know a GS rider than has had his disconnected for years & many many miles. When plugged back in they both worked fine.

Without the o2's active you do lose the ability of the fueling computer to learn fueling adaptives though.

One thing you need to be aware of on the newer BMW's is some have dash computers that show fuel mileage & miles to empty, etc. Those use the injector on-time & duration to figure fuel usage.

If you add ANYTHING that adds injector pulse width or on-time that DOESN'T all go through the fueling computer that will render the onboard fuel mileage & distance to empty computer useless.

So if you want your dash fuel range computer to operate properly you will need to use a device that fools the fueling computer into adding the extra fuel, like 02 sensor spoofers, or run open loop & fool the intake air temp.

Thanks DR.

I do enjoy having all that fuel usage data, so I am going to take your advice and fool it somehow or order the AutoTune device from FuelMoto and see if that works.

Afternoon RSH

Easy to tell if it will get along with your mileage computer--

IF, the device interfaces directly with the fueling computer or fueling computer sensors (like 02 sensors or intake air sensors it will work with the factory fuel mileage computer.

On the other hand, IF the device hooks into the fuel injector wire harness & ADDS fuel (adds injector dwell time) AFTER the fueling computer does it's thing then that is fuel that the fuel mileage computer won't see or be able to figure into it's fuel mileage & data.

Thanks again DR.

I phoned FuelMoto and they said there will be no problem, but I'll have to see it to be sure once I install it.

I understand what you mean about "injector dwell time".

I'll report the results for the benefit of others.

roger 04 rt

Recently I helped Terry interface an LC-1 to his 2010 R1200GSA. He was kind enough in turn to take a lot of data regarding what the BMSK does when its O2 sensor is disconnected.

Here is the first of four posts on the topic: R1200 BMSK O2 Sensors.

Regarding the Autotue Option, you still end up with BMSK getting no O2 signal. The biggest challenge of Autotune is that you have to give it target AFRs for a couple hundred fuel table points. Then you need to manually review and edit the data "Autotune" produces.

As DR said, any fuel you add won't be accounted for by the BMSK trip computer.

You might want to check with Terry and consider dual LC-1s.

RB

Thank you Roger. Wow! What a link, I have some reading to do.

Are you suggesting getting dual LC-1's and not using the PC-V or use them in conjunction with the PC-V?

This is a little over my head.

Thanks for the great info.

roger 04 rt
Thank you Roger. Wow! What a link, I have some reading to do.

Are you suggesting getting dual LC-1's and not using the PC-V or use them in conjunction with the PC-V?

This is a little over my head.

Thanks for the great info.

I'm suggesting that you consider the LC-1s instead of the PC V. Another option is the BMW-AF-XIED that Beemerboneyard will soon be selling for R1200.

The BMSK is a powerful ECU that can be told how to add fuel. It will do the whole job of adding fuel is you install a "richer" O2 sensor. So the LC-1s or BMW-AF-XIEDs provide that richer O2 signal. A stock O2 tells the ECU to fuel to the lean EPA standard of 14.7:1. When you add one of the devices I mentioned, it tells the BMSK to fuel to a standard you can program in: e.g. 13.5:1 or 13.8:1 etc. Once it has the richer sensor the BMSK does all the work of figuring out how to add fuel and you lose none of the BMSKs capability.

When you install a PC V, you lose two of the BMSKs most important abilities. The first is you wipe out the BMSKs dual O2 sensor ability to adjust each cylinder individually. This is part of what keeps the R1200 from surging and makes it smoother than an R1100 or R1150. The second thing you lose is its ability to "Adapt" to different fuel or many times of engine or fuel system wear. In addition with no O2s installed the BMSK produces a widely varying Limp Home fueling pattern.

Because of the above and to facilitate tuning, Dynojet offers a product called Dynotune, single or dual channel. You input a table like this:

TMEBTarget.jpg

and after a period of driving it produces factors in a table like this:

Trim5-15-2013_zpsb8df583e.png

So first you have to figure out the target AFRs (the above table has no enrichments for for wide throttle angles like it should), then you have to decide whether it has calculated a good fuel addition. Where you see the number 10 in the table, the user put that number there and it hasn't changed because the rider never hit those TPS/RPM combinations with their riding. Where you see the number 25, the Autotune is recommending a 25% addition to fueling which was the maximum allowed by this rider. Do we really think that these bikes are underfueled by 25%? I don't, I think it was an error.

Bottom line:

If you just want more fuel you can get it without having the complexity of a PC V and without losing the capabilities of your great BMSK.

terryofperry

RSH

Welcome and congratulations on the bike. I believe I am the "Terry" Roger references in his post. If so, I will provide the following quick thoughts.

Yes, there is a lot of of reading available. We have Roger to thank for a lot of hard work and experimentation regarding the fueling of the Boxer motor. Dirtrider's comments are extremely valuable as well, both are too humble to accept praise.

I am running dual LC-1 Lambda setups on my Camhead and I am very happy with the setup. It should also be noted that at the time I installed the LC-1's the BMW-AF-XIED were not available. As of now, the dual LC-1's are not plug and play, they require some wiring to install.

I am kinda in a hurry so my opinion quickly.

If you want a plug and play unit with a 20 minute install, Lambda (A/F R) adjustability, easy uninstall to factory status for dealer servicing I highly recommend the BMW-AF-XIED.

The LC-1 does have logging and some other capabilities.

Either unit works with the ECU, not against it, and is half the price of the PC V with autotune.

Read the posts, ask the questions, Roger is the expert, I will add what little I know, DR keeps us all straight.

Terry

Thank you Roger,

That was a great explanation and now I understand. I am going to look into both the options you outlined.

In addition I like & understand your point about maintaining the full use of the OEM BMSK.

Again, many thanks!

I currently own 2 BMW motorcycles. I have a 2011 R1200RT that is stock. I also own a 2012 R1200GSA that has a Remus header and pipe, Power Commander V and the Auto Tune kit.

When I bought the 2011 RT I was plesantly suprised at what a nice job BMW did with the fueling! No devices would be needed here I thought! I have owned R1100,1150,1200 BMW's since 1998. I have tried pipes, BBPower chips, FRK, Rapid Bike 3, Dobeck Techlusion in search of better fuleing and smoother throttle. All have worked to a degree. But they all would only tune within the open loop phase. I am not sure about the BBpower chip as that was a complete ROM. But the other devices I know for sure only worked within open loop.

Now Dynojet has a device to tune the whole fuel range with a wideband O2 sensor. So I decided to try it. I decided to purchase the AT-300 auto tune. This has 2 wideband sensors one for each cylinder. This allows 2 tuning tables and auto trim tables. The balance between the cylinders is maintained! This auto tune device does have the ability to adapt to changing conditions. And you have control over how far it can adapt. This is a setting within the tuning software. The default is 20%. This setup just works! And it works very very well! Not just a bit better than the other devices I have tried. Way better. I can run this motorcycle in 3rd gear all the way down to 2000rpm roll on the throttle and get clean smooth hard acceleration. You could do this on the 2011 with the stock setup but it would not be nearly as smooth or quick! And of course it is significantly faster that it was stock! The midrange to upper range is just crazy now. And I have not brought this motorcycle in to have it tuned. I just used a supplied map and let the auto tune do the rest.

So how does this adapt? Well I rode the motorcycle out to Wyoming and went through 2 mountain passes and it worked flawless! The motorcycle ran great all the way up to 9600 feet!

I would say the only con to this setup is the added connections on the motorcycle. That being said the wiring harness you get with the PCV and the auto tune are better than the anything I have seen stock or in the after market.

If you have questions please let me know!

Guest Kakugo
I currently own 2 BMW motorcycles. I have a 2011 R1200RT that is stock. I also own a 2012 R1200GSA that has a Remus header and pipe, Power Commander V and the Auto Tune kit.

When I bought the 2011 RT I was plesantly suprised at what a nice job BMW did with the fueling! No devices would be needed here I thought! I have owned R1100,1150,1200 BMW's since 1998. I have tried pipes, BBPower chips, FRK, Rapid Bike 3, Dobeck Techlusion in search of better fuleing and smoother throttle. All have worked to a degree. But they all would only tune within the open loop phase. I am not sure about the BBpower chip as that was a complete ROM. But the other devices I know for sure only worked within open loop.

Now Dynojet has a device to tune the whole fuel range with a wideband O2 sensor. So I decided to try it. I decided to purchase the AT-300 auto tune. This has 2 wideband sensors one for each cylinder. This allows 2 tuning tables and auto trim tables. The balance between the cylinders is maintained! This auto tune device does have the ability to adapt to changing conditions. And you have control over how far it can adapt. This is a setting within the tuning software. The default is 20%. This setup just works! And it works very very well! Not just a bit better than the other devices I have tried. Way better. I can run this motorcycle in 3rd gear all the way down to 2000rpm roll on the throttle and get clean smooth hard acceleration. You could do this on the 2011 with the stock setup but it would not be nearly as smooth or quick! And of course it is significantly faster that it was stock! The midrange to upper range is just crazy now. And I have not brought this motorcycle in to have it tuned. I just used a supplied map and let the auto tune do the rest.

So how does this adapt? Well I rode the motorcycle out to Wyoming and went through 2 mountain passes and it worked flawless! The motorcycle ran great all the way up to 9600 feet!

I would say the only con to this setup is the added connections on the motorcycle. That being said the wiring harness you get with the PCV and the auto tune are better than the anything I have seen stock or in the after market.

I have a question for you: how has this setup affected your fuel mileage?

Thanks.

It's always good when you get a good result. Can you post the AFR targets that you used for Autotune and the resulting learned adjustments for each cylinder?

RB

Thanks for that informative update.

I did order the PC-V before I made any posts here, now you have me thinking about getting the Auto-Tune module.

roger 04 rt, DR & Terry brought up some great points too.

I have a trip planned from Calgary, Alberta to South Dakota via Wyoming in about 2 1/2 weeks - so I'll be lucky to get the PC-V module, HID low beam lights, Stebel horn, Sargent seat, SW Mototech risers, Suburban foot peg lowering kit installed and the plastic back on by then. The PC-V has not arrived yet, hopefully in a few more days. Then phase 2 will be to think about the Auto-Tune or the LC-1's Roger was talking about.

Do you think the Remus header and pipe added to the performance gains or just less weight?

Would you expect the same gains on the RT with the same mods?

I have the PC-V on my '10 V-Strom DL1000 & the Dobeck unit on my '08 C90T. Both made significant improvements on those bikes & I was hoping for the same on my RT. I read about having to disconnect the O2 sensors after I ordered the PC-V, hence my original post.

Again thanks for the info!

I contacted nightrider.com about the BMW-XIED for the RT and this was their reply:

Subject: BMW-XIED for 2012 RT

The only holdup is getting commercial quantities of the O2 sensor connectors so we can build the plug-n-play harness. We have identified a European source and are in discussions to acquire the connectors. This should be completed in the next 30-45 days.

The DIY Universal Harness is already available. Instruction for modification of the OEM O2 sensor should be available on the forums (or will be shortly). Not that this is our first choice for late model bikes, but this option is available now.

Keep watching Nightrider.com, Beemerboneyard.com and the Forums for availability of the R1200 harness.

I've reviewed the cables, connectors, and Steve has a source so I believe his time estimates. If you can, waiting will make the job easier. If not, here is all there is to adapting the Universal cable (example below for R1100).

R1100%20Universal%20Cable.jpg

terryofperry

RSH

That is a wonderful trip you have planned, you are going to have a great time. Quite a list of accessories you have there, should make the ride more comfortable.

Have you given some thought to adding all the goodies except the PC V and heading out on the trip? The Camhead is a pretty good motor from the factory, there is something to be said for not making motor changes just prior to a big trip.

Having a PC V on your Strom indicates you are comfortable with it and to be clear, no one is criticizing the device. The PC V may have been the "Holy Grail" at one time but now there are alternatives. The differences are also significant. Not to mention the PC V with Autotune pushes $780, any of the others are half that whether that be the XIED, LC-1, Zeitronix, ALM or others.

Have a safe and enjoyable journey, take in every mile as an experience.

Be well.

Terry

I apologize for the delayed response.

Fuel economy is a product of throttle, rpm and what gear you are in. That being said the fuel economy has not changed. When I ride the bike hard it drops to mid to high 30's. When I ride the bike normal I get low 40's mixed city highway. When I get on the open road and cruise I can get anywhere from low 40's to high 40's depending on the speeds, load, wind direction and speed.

My AFR's are 13.8 in the low throttle openings with low to mid RPM. There is a small sample of 13.5 in the next range of higher RPM's and throttle openings. Then 13.2 for the rest. The map I installed was the Akrapovic full exhaust with stock filter. After about 2-3 good rides the trim tables have settled into single digits and stayed there. I did not document each learning table so I cannot post them. I apologize.

I did not test the bike with just the exhaust. I installed the Dynojet stuff and the exhaust at the same time. I also removed the flapper valve from the exhaust. So I cannot state accurately what effect it had on where I am now with power. The flapper valve was heavy! The effect on the RT should be the same as both of the bikes are in the same state of tune according to BMW.

I was out riding all day yesterday in the bluffs of Wisconsin. I was just thinking how nice this bike rides! I can go down a "letter" road and just leave the bike in 3rd gear. If the RPMs are low at the exit of a turn I can just roll on the throttle and the bike just motors away!!

I would agree with Terry about the bike changes before a big trip. Last year the girlfriend and I took the 2011 RT out west to Glacier/Yellowstone/Black Hills and it performed FLAWLESSLY! Only change was a Corbin seat. If you are going to make them you should plan at least one day ride to shake out any issues.

I hope I answered all questions. If there are more please ask! I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Terry:

You have a good point there. I have been caught in that trap before and ended undoing mistakes in the middle of the night to be ready for a big ride the next day.

As a side note to everyone, I also purchased those beefier windshield brackets from Beemer Boneyard, as I have installed a larger V-Stream windshield from National Cycle. Just as an FYI the bottom ones its seems you have to be a machinist to get them off and back on, so I will not be putting them on (splined?) The top ones went on with little effort and made the whole assembly much more solid feeling.

Anyway, thanks to all for the info & advice!

Got lots think about and to do to get ready for my upcoming ride.

All great info, thanks for the update.

I may just sit on all this technical stuff and think about the Auto-Tune & the other options suggested over the winter.

I was also wondering about that flapper valve. Wunderlich has a bypass pipe they claim it enhances performance or sound. ($49)

I was wondering when you put in the bypass pipe, what do you do with the flapper valve and does the ECU send out an error code if you just remove it? Or do you have tie up and let it hang there, so the ECU sees it?

Morning RSH

A couple of guys I ride with have their Exhaust Flap actuator disconnected/removed & the Flap wired open. I have had a GS-911 on those bikes & never saw a stored code (not that it would matter as a stored code means nothing).

The bike does sound a little l growlier (personally I don' like it) & to me they feel a little flatter just above idle at light throttle openings. (but I don't regularly ride those bikes so not much to compare to other than a similar unmolested bike)

Is the purpose of the exhaust flapper valve doe emissions to dynamic change of the exhaust system resonance?

If it is for dynamically shifting the exhaust's resonance taking it out would surely reduce efficiency of the engine and therefore torque. Maybe a bit more top end?

terryofperry

From a BMW magazine on the early HP2

Quote:

This constantly adjusts the internal diameter of the exhaust system to suit engine revs and ensures good low to mid-range performance for a linear power output all the way to the rev limiter.

I have no idea what it is for, all I know is it sounds good to twist the throttle so if it is for emissions they missed the boat because I am putting a lot more crap in the atmosphere and getting less mileage because of it.

Terry

Hi DR & Roger 04

I installed the PC-V.

1) The bike runs great.

2) Much smoother taking off, especially at a from a dead stop going uphill.

3) No decel popping.

4) Better acceleration at all RPM's

5) Smoother running down at lower RPM's

6) Dash mileage computer seems to work.

7) Not sure about gas mileage, did not take time to calculate.

8) "Engine in emergency-operation mode" light stays on.

Number 8 bugs me and was to be expected as you and roger 04 mentioned it in advance. For now I am going to leave it, as a long trip is happing soon.

Will this do any harm leaving the engine in this mode?

Good to hear your install went well.

It is really hard to know where your fueling is at. I'm guessing that you didn't reset the BMS-K so you've got some adaptive values that preceded the PC-V, that's okay. But then you also have the Limp Mode fueling sequence.

Which maps did you use.

Unless you are too rich the check engine light shouldn't be a problem.

I used the stock maps from DynoJet. I phoned them first and they did actual dyno runs on a 2011 RT to come up with what they figure is optimal. I don't think they richened up any one area by more than 10 or 12%

I can email the maps to you if you are interested. They mainly richened it up in the 2000 to 5000 rpm area and leaned it out up higher at certain rpm's.

Left and right cylinders have separate maps.

How do you reset the BMS-K? Is that the same as the ECU?

Also I hear if you send your ECU to this company:

http://www.rexxer.eu/e_index.cfm

They remap it and you get best of both worlds, a great running bike & using the OEM ECU. Of course, for off road use only. About $500 US.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the detail. I think I have downloaded those maps earlier to study. The PC-V does allow you to add fuel and that can benefit the BMS-K (reset with a GS-911 and possibly battery disconnect).

The biggest issue I have is that one of the R1200's best features is the dual O2 closed loop which goes out the window with a PCV install. Personally it seems too much to give up.

Back to the reset, I wouldn't as it likely will alter your performance.

When you disconnected the O2 sensors did you remove them from the exhaust for safe keeping?

Hi Roger,

No I did not remove the O2 sensors.

Should I take them out and cap the bungs, so they do not get damaged sitting there idle?

I went for 150 KM ride today to test out all the mods I had done and to my surprise the emergency engine warning light went out as got down the driveway. Do you think the BMS-K adapted somehow?

The result has been so good, that I am going to either get the AutoTune-Module or look into the LC-1 mod you suggested, once the package is available. That will have to wait for the winter, as riding season is short here & I am leaving for a big ride in a week to South Dakota. Seeing how the bike is running great now I don't want to change my luck and screw something up & not be able to leave on the day my group is going.

I think I see a GS-911 in my future too.

Thanks for all the great guidance,

Randy

Hi Roger,

No I did not remove the O2 sensors.

Should I take them out and cap the bungs, so they do not get damaged sitting there idle?

I went for 150 KM ride today to test out all the mods I had done and to my surprise the emergency engine warning light went out as got down the driveway. Do you think the BMS-K adapted somehow?

The result has been so good, that I am going to either get the AutoTune-Module or look into the LC-1 mod you suggested, once the package is available. That will have to wait for the winter, as riding season is short here & I am leaving for a big ride in a week to South Dakota. Seeing how the bike is running great now I don't want to change my luck and screw something up & not be able to leave on the day my group is going.

I think I see a GS-911 in my future too.

Thanks for all the great guidance,

Randy

I don't think you have to remove them but I've bought some used sensors and connectors for prototypes and noticed they get oily where they are. If it were mine I'd pull the sensors, cap the bungs and protect the harness connectors somehow too. Or at least protect the four connectors even if you don't bother with the bungs.

In the long run I think you will be better off with a Closed Loop solution like the LC-1 or (easier to install) BMW-AF-XIED.

The GS-911 is an amazing tool. I've just used it to solve a subtle problem on my fuel delivery system (looking like the pressure regulator).

Thanks again,

I am going to watch the website for the BMW-AF-XIED for sure. Even though the PC-V works great and is an over all improvement, I can still feel some surging in the 2-3200 RPM area. It is very subtle, but I am guessing that because the BMS-K is not doing all the calculating, there is less on-going correction in AFR, at the expense of fuel optimization/gas mileage. The PC-V is just pumping out a pre-set amount of fuel without knowing the external or ambient environment.

Reinforcing your point about having a closed loop system??

Good luck with your pressure regulator.

• 10 months later...

Hi Roger,

I am doing a little bike repair and decided to buy the AF-XiED for the R1200RT from nightrider.com/Beemer Boneyard that you were talking about in this thread.

It was super easy to hook up and I am just waiting to finishing my tune-up and take it for a ride. I have it set at 7 for my initial test ride.

Thanks for the info, it looks like a great product.

roger 04 rt
Hi Roger,

I am doing a little bike repair and decided to buy the AF-XiED for the R1200RT from nightrider.com/Beemer Boneyard that you were talking about in this thread.

It was super easy to hook up and I am just waiting to finishing my tune-up and take it for a ride. I have it set at 7 for my initial test ride.

Thanks for the info, it looks like a great product.

You hooked up two of them, one for each O2 sensor, so make sure they're both on setting 7. ;)

There have been many good reports on the product for R1200s, including a recent report for the R1200GSW (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24537121#post24537121). I hope it goes well for you too.

RB

Yes, both at 7 and both units blink in unison 7 times.

Thanks for the link, lots of great reports.

Can't wait to get my bike out of the garage & back on the road to see how it performs.

Thanks!

I got out for a quick ride, about of a 1/5 tank of gas. There is a definite improvement. I noticed right away I could cruise in 6th gear at a few hundred RPM less and it was very smooth and picked up well. No decel noise either.

I put in a K&N filter (just to save on the cost of the OEM one) and replaced the flapper valve with the Wunderlich bypass pipe, so it will be interesting to see if the BMS-K adapts to all that change and gives me a smooth & powerful ride with decent fuel consumption.

On Monday I am heading out for a 3500 KM trip around the Pacific NW, so it will have time to learn & I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your knowledge & input.

2012 R1200RT

• 3 weeks later...
roger 04 rt

Hi RSH,

Thanks for the report and feedback. The description of how your bike is running is much like my experience with the LC-1 on the 1150RT. I'm usually running 5th gear now around town (35-50 mph) and 6th gear on the highway above 55 mph (2800 rpm). In my case the engine isn't lugging at all, even if I roll-on full throttle--not a hint of complaint from the engine.

RB

Hi Roger.

Just got back from a 3800 KM road trip and only have a moment to report.

All I can say to everyone, is to buy it. My Power Commander V is for sale.

Taking off in first or second (by mistake) is no longer an issue and so much more drivability. First gear seems to of dropped to a lower gear ratio, it just wants to go now. No clunking, and trying to feather an un-feather-able dry clutch. 3000 to 4000 RPM the engine just purrs away at hi-way speeds in 6th with no vibration at all, or less anyway. You can stay in 6th to about 2700 RPM & the engine does not seem to complain, although I did shift down at 3000 RPM for fear of lugging the engine and not realizing it.

Set at #6 you get OEM gas mileage (4.81L/100KM), at #7 more performance, a little less gas mileage (5.21L/100KM), #8, not necessary for my style of driving - (about 5.35L/100KM).

At all settings the driveability was vastly increased. A couple of times I surprised myself if I had to get by an RV or truck quickly, it just took off at #7 & #8. Much more linear than the PC-5.

I hope to get the time to a comparo report on the Stock EFI vs. the PC-5 vs. the AF-XiED for the camhead R1200 for the benefit of those who are sitting on the fence.

I also have a K&N filter and removed the flapper valve. I think that is letting a little more air thru, but no real proof. I did those mods when I had the PC-V on and all I noticed was a slight improvemnet in gas mileage, if there was more HP, I could not notice it. The exhaust note seemed slighly more growly or close to the same. Very little diffrence in sound.

I have no affiliation with the makers of the AF-XiED.

2012 R1200RT with 24K KM now.

Archived