IGNORED

Tank broke his leg...

Twisties

... and is probably in surgery right now. Don't know if he'll "tank" me or kill me for telling... but I was struck, last night by his front door when we brought his gear in... tried to get a photo but my phone cam wasn't up to the task... His front door is covered in UNRally stickers, Gleno, Rodger and Paul tributes, and other BMWST memorabilia. His bikes are about the same, but I see them more often.

It happened yesterday, riding on the dirt with Gar (the friend in gottago & friend). Sharon and I rode out with them, us on the DR's and Bill (Tank) on Tweety, his yellow F 650 GS (single). With Bill, our leader, we headed out on the S. Fork of the Smith R. (Del Norte Co Rd 427), a wonderful paved route. Then veered off on another amazing paved road (Six Rivers NF Primary Rte 15)... to nowhere. Built as a highway, with pullouts and overlooks... 15 dead ends at a wilderness boundary and trail head. We lounged around a bit, in the smokey haze of the wildfires twenty miles away, and munched delicious raspberries in the glory of the forest. We talked about what the views would be like if the air were clear, and planned to come back in the spring. I teased Bill about holding out on us, not having brought us this way before.

Bill and Gar decided to ride up to Red Mountain Lookout on the dirt, and Sharon and I headed towards a late lunch and home. We waved off at the Red Mtn Rd junction. Complaints about the heat changed to concerns of the chill as we approached the coast. The fog was in and temps hovered around 50 F. Sharon and I stopped in Brookings for a bowl of wonton soup before heading home. I left my phone in the side case, regrettably. As we walked in at home the phone rang. It was Gar. Come, now, Hiouchi. Um, ok we'll be out the door in 5. No, that's too long, now. Bring the truck and gear for one of you to ride Tweety.

Sharon still had her gear on, so that was that. We rolled. We found them at Hiouchi. Bill had ridden 40 miles with a broken leg, toes pointing the wrong way, and could go no more. He never even got off the bike. We found him still astride. We got him in the truck bed somehow, and to the hospital in Crescent City, Sharon and Gar followed behind on the two bikes.

They got him some stabilized and on the ambulance to Medford, the fog preventing air transport.

Nancy and Gar have run up to be there when he gets out of surgery this afternoon. We'll probably be able to run up tomorrow. Right now we think he should be able to come home tomorrow.

Firefight911

Ugh! No Bueno.

Let us know what he needs and what we can all collectively do to help.

Love that guy so much!!!!!

"Bill had ridden 40 miles with a broken leg, toes pointing the wrong way, and could go no more."

Wow, you sir are one tough dude!

Heal well my friend

Don J :wave:

Ouch, tough news to hear. Hope everything goes well. That man has a special place in our hearts:

P2171451.jpg

We're still dropping in to visit in October, though.

Mike & Linda Cassidy

40 miles with a broken leg?! :eek:

That's true Grit!

Heal quickly and well Bill. We'll be looking forward to seeing you back on the road soon!

Welcome to the broken leg club Bill! :P

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

But I got to say the 40 miles was no big deal.

I once did 42 with a stubbed toe. :lurk:

barryNmarin

My heart goes out to you Tank. Enjoy the pain candy and get well real soon. Let me know if I can help out; I'm just down the road.

Barry

... and is probably in surgery right now. Don't know if he'll "tank" me or kill me for telling... but I was struck, last night by his front door when we brought his gear in... tried to get a photo but my phone cam wasn't up to the task... His front door is covered in UNRally stickers, Gleno, Rodger and Paul tributes, and other BMWST memorabilia. His bikes are about the same, but I see them more often.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us up to date on Bill's progress. Tank indeed is a BMWST enthusiast and a special member of this board. I hope everyone has the opportunity and pleasure, as have I, to meet and ride with him one day.

Hoping and praying it is an uncomplicated break and that he will be back ridding real soon.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us up to date on Bill's progress. Tank indeed is a BMWST enthusiast and a special member of this board. I hope everyone has the opportunity and pleasure, as have I, to meet and ride with him one day.

Hoping and praying it is an uncomplicated break and that he will be back ridding real soon.

He was back in his room and hungry at about 8:10 pm, after a very late afternoon surgery. No word from the MD yet in so far as I have heard. We'll be heading up first thing in the morning. Not sure I can post here easily from the road, but I'll try to put any significant news on the BMWST on Facebook thread.

:( so sorry to hear this. And I really hope Bill is getting good care at the hospital and hope his leg will recover quickly!

That guy is made of steel, I couldn't have taken one single step when I broke my leg, can't fathom how anyone could ride 40miles like that. I'll just call him Superman from now on.

Mikko

Best wishes. Broke my leg and ankle in 2007 - sounds very similar. Two surgeries and six months of recovery, about 9 months before the leg was pain free, and a year until I rode my RT again. He's going to need to keep his leg elevated for about 2 months, unfortunately. The swelling and resultant pain was the biggest hassle.

It's going to be a very annoying injury to recover from. I had to walk up our stairs in the house on my rear end daily, because the leg just ballooned when I tried to walk on it. I worked from my recliner at home. He'll need to be patient with this.

Oh, and yeah, going through airport terminals will be a LOT more exciting from now on, if he has the same hardware in his leg when he's done as I do.

God Bless and good luck.

Scott

Don't know Tank but I wish him and all of his friends well. I too did the break thing but kept it to my ankle. Like the previous post says, lots of recovery and pain. Just make sure he does physical therapy - the operation set things in place, but PT retrains the muscles and tendons. It is much needed for full movement and many Ortho docs think it is optional.

Tank, so sorry to hear the news.

Wishing you well for easy and fast recover but don't push it.

Lucky to have good friends around to help.

Ouch!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Tank...

From someone who's been through significant leg injury (severed tendons in my case) I can tell you to heed the previous advice to (a) don't push it, and (b) absolutely stick with the PT.

G

Bill,

Sorry to hear this.

Hope for a speedy and complete recovery so you can continue spreading joy and happiness via your beautiful smile.

FWIW, my ankle is broken in a couple of places.

Happened in the cast after 1st surgery back 30+ years ago.

:dopeslap:

Only done about 300,000 miles since then, with it broken, so don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

Beth and I will send positive energy and await better news.

Best wishes.

"They" say motorcycling in a dangerous hobby... shoot, I broke my leg while enjoying the peaceful sport of fly fishing...

Make the most of it... it will get better from here, but wait.. seems I recall Jan and Sharon were near me when my accident happened. Coincidence...? Who knows.

Bill - I hope the doctors put you back together OK, I'm sure they had access to the manual at least online. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

40 miles with a broken leg?! :eek:

That's true Grit!

Heal quickly and well Bill. We'll be looking forward to seeing you back on the road soon!

++1! You take care and sending you some healing zen, Tank!!

Sorry for your pain Tank; hope you mend fast. If you'd asked, I would have told you from experiance it's not good to break your leg mororcycling. Additional advice is: Don't let them drill a hole through your ankle, push in a pin and hang 5 kilo weights off of it.

Thanks everyone for the good vibes sent my way... As many of you know BMWST is a large part of my life. The doctoer seems to think that the rods and pins should do the job and I'll be as good as new soon. Of course now that the surgery is done they have decided that the phrmacudical playground is over so my head is clearing also' I'm on the hospital PC with Nancy and Gar looking out the fifth floor window at wildfire smoke and evening lights over Medford Oregon

Tomarrow the Doc will release me to the world and recovery, More news as the healing progresses

barryNmarin

Tank, It is great to see you're feeling well enough to post an update. Great friends like Gar, Nancy, Jan and Sharon are priceless commodities when times get tough! Glad they are there to keep an eye on you. I know it will be tough to follow the doctor's orders but give it your best shot anyway. Keep us posted on your progress and heal real fast!

Glad to hear you're on your way back and (if only temporarily) herbal free. Get well big guy. This place loves ya.

So sorry to hear. Tank was one of the first people I met at a Tech Daze when I first joined BMWST.

I wish you a very quick recovery and Best of Everything

Archived