IGNORED

iPod instead of a radio

rickmoen

Hello all,

I'm a 2 day new R1200RT owner and still pinching myself when I see that beautuful, new, bike in the garage! The bike has the radio kit installed, but not the factory radio. I have an iPod and am wondering if anyone has been able to use the iPod as a tune player. Can the iPod be played through an intercom? Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before. I'll also have some questions about intercoms, too.

Welcome to the Board Rick.

I am not sure about the R1200RT, but I use my ipod through an Autocomm system on my R1100RT.

I am almost positive that you could do the same with your bike and I am sure you will get many replies with assistance. This is a great board with alot of great people on it and they are all helpful.

Welcome again,

Hi,

Don't spend the money for the way high priced BMW radio.

i-Pod or another CD/MP3 player thru an Autocom,or just direct to you thru Arizona AL's,Bob Weiss or Etymotic earphones,is the way to go.

Do a search here for even fancier setups!

Lots of folks use XM or Sirius setups too!

JR356

98 K12RS with XM radio and i-Pod in the tankbag,Az.Al's in my ears.

Still using Minidisc too!!!

I play my iPOD through an autocom system with no problems. One piece of advice, DO NOT MOUNT YOUR IPOD TO YOUR HANDLEBARS! I had bought a Ram mount for my iPOD and rode for about 2 months and started to notice my iPOD skipping songs and freezing up. I took it back to the Apple store and they asked me what I did with it (run, hike, etc), I told I had it on my motorcycle and the tech explained that the iPOD is basically a hard drive and will mess up with extended vibration. They gave new (refurbished) iPOD and I no longer use the Ram mount for it and haven't had any problems since. I did find another use for my Ram mount, if you turn it 90 degrees the XM Roady2 fits perfectly!

YMMV,

Chris

anyone have a regular car radio mounted in the side pocket?i have seen (online) a BMW setup using a sony radio and a sony remote cable control.

Robin

grizzly660fan

I use an ipod on my rides. I put the ipod in my jacket pocket and route head phones up into my helmet.

I use sony mdr80 in ear buds (approx $30) which sound great in biking conditions. I also have a ijet http://www.theistore.com/ijet.html that I use to control play/pause, ff/rev, vol up/vol down with. the remote for it uses RF vs IR so it goes through my jacket just fine. the key fob remote is water resistant and I have not had any problems with it in the rain. I velcro the remote to my bike and off I go.

This configuration I have can be upgraded to go through a autocomm or other system if I choose to in the future.

just a thought if you wanted to know how some are using ipod on the bike.

good luck!

Garry

Try the Etymotic headphones. I did after a recommendation from other members & it has worked out great. I use mine with my XM radio though. So I am not sure how you would adjust the volume since I do not have an Ipod.

I use an ipod on my rides. I put the ipod in my jacket pocket and route head phones up into my helmet.

Same here, except I use ER-6i ear buds and a Griffen Air-Click remote. Works great!

Brian

[quote

Same here, except I use ER-6i ear buds and a Griffen Air-Click remote. Works great!

Brian

I'll second the Griffin Air-Click Remote. I run my iPod through an Autocom. The iPod goes in a map pocket, with the remote velcroed to the handlebars. I can control volume, start, stop and pause with the remote.

Archived