IGNORED

Semi vs. bridge

motorman587

motorman587

My point as a fellow motorcyclist is if you were behind this semi you would have been showed with debri. My point is get away from semi's espeical if it approaching a bridge. Semi driver was legal just missed a warning height sign, that I feel like was pourly marked. Just be careful out there.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20130801/NEWS01/130801008/Semi-hits-CSX-rail-overpass-Apalachee-Parkway

Fourteen years ago, we had a pedestrian bridge that crossed the Baltimore Beltway get knocked down across all half of the travel lanes. A truck was hauling a piece of construction equipment, and the boom was not tied down properly. It extended somewhat and when the boom hit the pedestrian bridge, it caused the collapse. Article Here

Just a couple of months ago, there was a truck that hit part of a bridge on I-5 and took the whole span down. Skagit River Bridge Collapse If he had been in the center lane rather than the right lane, there would have been no contact.

So yes, keep your eyes open!

motorman587
Gee, the name of the PD officer quoted in the story rings a bell.
haha, I wasn't even there but 2 seconds and the reporter showed up and asked, "What happened"? I looked at him and I looked at bridge. I wanted to say, "What the $uck you think happened", so that was nice thing that came out of my mouth.
  • 4 weeks later...

Back in the day before we had a camera with us at all times there was a bridge for a local train spur. The road under it was single lane with only about 8 feet of clearance. The road was mainly used as a short cut by locals, but it was also a short cut to the UPS building. A guy heading to UPS, who had gone this way before forgot about his truck camper. I came upon the scene...truck on one side, smashed truck camper on the ground on the other.

Back in the day the city I worked for bought a new truck and boom used to repair traffic signals. Unfortunately the truck was powered by CNG and little was known about refueling it. It chugged to a stop, out of "gas". A flatbed tow was called to take it to a CNG station for refueling. Unfortunately the load was about 14' high and the boom unit struck and underpass, totaling the brand new truck.

I hired a truck mechanic some years ago where I work and he is very familiar with the local area where a 7'5" Train trestle was at the end of a street corner, Taking a service box truck instead of the pick up on a call, he "forgot". The impact Pulled the box way back and of course dented to hell. The less than 10 MPH impact threw him into the windshield with a minor cut from the RV mirror on the forehead. Needless to say, his moniker from that point on was "Canopener" He has never ever traveled down that street again in any vehicle.

The service box truck got a new box and back in service along with him.

I will forgo the story of the time when another mechanic filled a flat tire in a backhoe and it was on a riverbank..... YEAAAPP!

That one is back in service too!

Archived