IGNORED

What the heck is this for on a R1200GS?

Ken H.

Exploring our R1200GS today I pulled the alternator belt cover. The space behind the cover below the crankshaft pulley is filled with a white foam material. Some sort of damping material? For sound control (hard to imagine)? Vibration control? Protection of something in case the plastic cover gets pushed in when off-roading? Other speculation anyone? One thing is clear: if the dirt is any indication, a lot of road water gets up in there. eek.gif

52496832-M.jpg

Ken,

Have no idea why it's there. Some guys in the UK have reported it getting water soaked and producing corrosion into the area. I've not looked in there so have no thoughts.

I can tell you don't have good riding wx right now. grin.gif

Whatever is is, it will probably fail. Please add it to the spare parts list, listed below for your convenience.

Final Drive (catastrophic failure)

ABS components (malfunctions and strands you)

Alloy wheels (warp easily)

Battery (self explanatory)

System cases (just fall off)

Topcase (flys off at speed hitting you in the head)

AND

Foam thingy under alternator (not sure yet)

Good Luck tongue.gif

How about listing the mileage on the spare parts failure list. thumbsup.gif

How would a lid on the case hit you in the head when it`s behind you.?????????? confused.gif

How would an ABS system failure strand you.????? confused.gif

How would a system case just fall off by it`s self.??? confused.gif Please explaint whats happening to your bike so I can AVOID THIS TOO.

I'm betting it's for sound. Here's why:

My GS is covered with carbon fibre parts. I've spent a truck load of money on this - just to have a bike that's different. One of the carbon fibre pieces was the front engine cover. The problem was the original part had a bow in it to allow for this foam rubber thingie. The carbon fibre part was flat and wouldn't fit unless I removed the foam rubber. I removed it. You can hear more engine noise than before but...what the heck. I've got a very cool looking GS.

It is sound deadening material. The UKGSer forum has many threads on the corrosion problem caused by the sponges is fairly well documented and accepted by the UK dealers.

I plan on removing mine on the 12K to try to prevent corrosion.

Jim cool.gif

Am I right that the newer ones DO NOT have this foam in them?
DOn't know.

Who here has the newest 12GS that they are willing to pull the cover off and have a look see?

Am I right that the newer ones DO NOT have this foam in them?
DOn't know.

Who here has the newest 12GS that they are willing to pull the cover off and have a look see?

Mine is a July 05 version, and it "had" the foam. It makes a slight bit more mechanical noise, but is otherwise fine.

I took it out because I wanted to avoid the corrosion problem seen on several bikes from the UKGSer forum. I heard that 06 bikes will not have it, though that is unsubstantiated.

Jim cool.gif

Archived