IGNORED

Synchronizing new 1200ST

MChick

My dealer warned me not to try to sync the throttle bodies on my R1200ST without hooking up BMW computer. He said the servos for the throttle bodies will be damaged if the vaccum lines are disconnected, without telling the computer what to do.

Is this true, and is there a workaround for this? I really want to do all my own service on the bike, since I live so far away from a dealer (OK, only about 1.5 hours each way).

Total b/s. Ignore the idle as the stepper motor does that. Sync at 3.5-4k as you would on any of the older bikes. Do the valves first or you chasing your tail.

What Marty said.

There is some confusion in that to do a TB sync according to the official BMS way, the stepper motors are suppose to be parked in a specific position prior to syncing. And no one has yet figured out an after-market way to do it. (That I have heard.)

But that being said, many of us have successfully synchronized the R1200xx ignoring the steppers. There is no idle sync at all, so just to the high RPM sync with the right side throttle cable adjustment and you are done!

Can you sync this engine with my old mercury sticks??
Yes. Although many of us find a more sensitive manometer produces even better accuracy.

I think this may have been asked before but, If I were going to buy the coolest tool to sync, what would be the latest greatest high tech super duty user friendly sync to buy?

I think this may have been asked before but, If I were going to buy the coolest tool to sync, what would be the latest greatest high tech super duty user friendly sync to buy?
How big is your budget for coolness?

My budget is down around $10! Thus the water tube manometer.

If your budget is around $80, a lot of people use the TwinMax.

If your budget is around $10,000 I bet Ed could point you toward some really, REALLY cool digital differential vacuum plotting & recording analysis equipment!

Morgan Carbtune.

Smooth like a manometer, but no pesky fluids or inadvertant

engine intake.

Nice travel/storage padded case.

No electronics.

thumbsup.gif

I'd say the money is no object tool of choice would be the BMW GT1. It will do the sync and everything else we need short of physical labor.

Check out Twinmax from Callamander in London. They are available on the InterNet. This electronic throttle body sync is the best so far. Just slide in the tubes, zero the device, select the sensitivity and start the engine. Sync away. No mercury or bother with spills. Its highly recommended.

Yeah, the twinmax looks to be the one to get in my opinion because its still affordable. BTW for 10 grand, i could probly fly Ed out and have him sync my bike personaly... grin.gif Thanks for all the input guys

Morgan Carbtune.

Smooth like a manometer, but no pesky fluids or inadvertant

engine intake.

Nice travel/storage padded case.

No electronics.

thumbsup.gif

Tim,

Is there a US source for this? My initial search shows only UK. Thanks

Archived