IGNORED

motorcycle vs. car vs. bus

motorman587

motorman587

Hey Marty!!!!! Hope ur doing well!!! Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.......ie reitrement!!!!

Drive that part almost daily.

The car came completely across the double line totally blocking road, then stopped.

Nose dive apparent as he brakes.

Too fast, no skills, no gear.

Lucky.

I couldn't get it to play from this source, but from another link, hopefully the same timing: At 6 seconds you see the car moving very slowly and very oddly... no idea where he is going.

At 12 seconds the collision occurs, you can see the moto is going much faster than the other car that came through earlier, does not appear to react to the car pulling out until the last second, then almost a stoppie... but little effect on his speed.

I thought the car was well out before the moto came into sight, the moto was going way too fast, and failed to react.

motorman587
Yep, right of violation but was speed of the motorcycle a contributing factor in the cause of the collision?

If this is a question for me, do not know, I did not work it. If there is no death or serious injury then the experts (Traffic Homicide Investigators) are not called out. Even if the scooter was speeding, it's still a classic violation of right of way left turn vehicle.

John, many times as a traffic officer I was asked how much over the speed limit is allowed before you give up your "right" to a right of way.

If the motorcycle was approaching that left turning truck at 100mph, is that enough so the truck driver is no longer is required to obey left turn right of way laws?

I was never able to answer the speed question and always answered "it depends on many factors".

motorman587
John, many times as a traffic officer I was asked how much over the speed limit is allowed before you give up your "right" to a right of way.

If the motorcycle was approaching that left turning truck at 100mph, is that enough so the truck driver is no longer is required to obey left turn right of way laws?

I was never able to answer the speed question and always answered "it depends on many factors".

Very true Sir.................had a judge once tell me, many many years ago, that it doesn't matter how fast they are going, that person still has the right of way. That is why we have lawyers and judges etc............and you know all this. Give up your right way of way would be if you could show documentation that when you started your turn the approaching vehicle was not in sight distance. All this would take time on a minor crash which we would not do unless there was a death. Then if it does become an issue with insurance company's I doubt they (insurance company) would hire an expert to find who contributed to what level, unless there is $$$$ involved. Then it goes back to injury or death, which forks out the $$$$.

I timed the video..it appears the bike is going 'slower'' than the previous car. The bike has about 1.1 second to react. He cant go left, because a giant freaking bus and a pedestrian are standing there! Cant go right because thats a curb. looks to me like he has hit the brakes hard, (stoppie) and is trying to go slightly left. My question is, where the hell was that car going? It wasnt turning left or right, just pulled into traffic and stopped. It couldnt go straight because there was no road to the right of the bus.

The wide angle lense of the camera makes it appear as if the bike is farther away that it is. Play the video frame by frame and then look how far away the bike is when the car starts to pull out. I guess about 150 feet. The bike is moving to the center line. Car then blocks traffic and you can see the bike is applying brakes and moving more to its left. Then scraps that plan, (due to bus?) and applies alot of brakes. The bike is in about a 30 degree stoppie just before impsct. That probably saved the rider from serious injury, as his body was already being launched over the handlebars and hood of the car before the bike struck the car, preventing his thighs and torso from striking the handlebars.

Mike,

There is room to the left (right of the bus) that would be

a definite improvement over hitting the car.

It would have meant going up on sidewalk via driveways, heck even into a yard, anything would beat hitting the vehicle.

Speed limit is 35 there, changes to 30, so in "theory" stopping a sport bike in under 50 feet is possible.

AFAIK he was out at the first day of practice yesterday in the new indoor facility.

Exit strategies should include any window, IMO, to avoid the collision if possible.

He was risking his college career and most likely a lucrative NFL career by no ATGATT and excessive speed.

So he finally spoke about this.

He saw the car, plenty of time, thought he'd go around it, then when car kept going and blocked the lane he decided to hit the car instead of going under the bus.

:dopeslap:

Not very smart.

Archived