IGNORED

Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin

EffBee

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/

Mike Cassidy

looks great to me, I would probably go to an UN based there.

You would have to break both my legs and my throttle hand to keep me from making that trip if an UN showed up there. :thumbsup:

It also has 3 hotels right next door. I would have to trailer (remember the Clampetts) but that looks great.

The Gunnison UN referenced a couple of posts above was my first. I didn't know enough to know that there was a split UN going on.

I had plenty of time at the campground to meet a lot of new folks, do some riding, story telling, beverage consuming.

It was so much fun I've been to a few more.

I was one of the few camping at this year's UN. Got kind of lonely when Bernie and Bob left the KOA to go to the hotel.

But I enjoyed the time spent with others and learned why it is called "Chasing Bernie"!

People change, their needs change and our perceptions change. As long as I get to spend some time socializing with folks, I don't much care where it is held. I will camp anywhere.

PhillyFlash

Mike Cassidy

You would have to break both my legs and my throttle hand to keep me from making that trip if an UN showed up there. :thumbsup:

Is that a request? Just asking.

AdventurePoser

Hmmm...now that I'm retired, I don't have to whine anymore about having the UN in July.

I just hope some of the old timers come to the UN...you know, the group that loved to ride, hang out, laugh, and enjoy each others company. You know, back in the day before politics, divisiveness, and apathy caused those folks to stop coming. I miss those folks.

See you in 2014, wherever it is.

Hmmm...now that I'm retired, I don't have to whine anymore about having the UN in July.

I just hope some of the old timers come to the UN...you know, the group that loved to ride, hang out, laugh, and enjoy each others company. You know, back in the day before politics, divisiveness, and apathy caused those folks to stop coming. I miss those folks.

See you in 2014, wherever it is.

:thumbsup::grin:

If room prices were increased to $150, and I stayed three nights, the additional cost would be $150.

My point is pretty simple, .

I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

... and there we were starting a perfectly entertaining feud then along come some guy with reasoning. Come on Mark, get a grip.

I liked Topaz. Decent facility, good camping, great riding, reasonable prices, cost of California fuel out of sight, crazy tourist drivers around that big lake, etc. lets not dismiss it too soon.

Not to mention the gridlock and traffic involved in getting to the fancy liquor store in Gardnerville to buy a nice single malt or two. . . :P;)

Lineareagle

Mike Cassidy

I've camped at Whitefish State park and been through Whitefish many times, daughter lives in Fernie, BC - not sure about riding in the area as I usually am just rolling through but certainly there is good riding in striking distance.

Whitefish itself is a pretty upscale town but again I have never really stopped there for any length of time.

I'll be going through again in a couple of weeks so if you all need or want some recon I could oblige.

Calvin  (no socks)

It looks like Dave Swift is headed to Whitefish today with freshly rebuilt Ohlins. (Saw a post on FB)

Sure glad I rode to the first one. Met some great folks who rode BMW's. Things have really changed. :cry:

Gonna check around with a few people to see if we want to try and entice you riding ladies and gentlemen to come back to the great state of AR-Kan-Sas for some squiggly roads, camping, moderately price motels,,, and some real fine eat'n. I don't know if you would consider us West or East, but do consider us a land of opportunity for a future Un. Thanks for the parameters of a bid. I have not been very active lately, but returning to two wheeling after being out for 772 days.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the open discussion and ideas put forward. Lively debate helps keep the forum interesting.

I was always aware that you can't please all the people all the time. I think everyone is benefiting from this discussion.

And Pat, that camping won't be within sight of a venue I'm looking at. I've actually stayed at that KOA in the distant past, and it is a great location with great facilities. But there isn't a hotel close by that can accomodate a group of 80-120.

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/ Well, other then the picture on their website of Mt Robson which is over 300 miles away :(

Mike Cassidy

Gonna check around with a few people to see if we want to try and entice you riding ladies and gentlemen to come back to the great state of AR-Kan-Sas for some squiggly roads, camping, moderately price motels,,, and some real fine eat'n. I don't know if you would consider us West or East, but do consider us a land of opportunity for a future Un. Thanks for the parameters of a bid. I have not been very active lately, but returning to two wheeling after being out for 772 days.

Although I have no idea whether I'll be able to make the UN next summer or not, I heartily thank you both for your positive posts and your willingness to be productive. Good luck on the reasearch!

Sure glad I rode to the first one. Met some great folks who rode BMW's. Things have really changed. :cry:

Ain't that the truth. The new ones have six speeds.

How about Fort Wayne? After all, if it's good enough for the Wing Dingers ...

+1 for Gunnison

Just cuz my sister and her Wing Dinger family with all their various Honda products are located in Fart Wayne, don't for a picosecond think I'm gonna go to any rally there!

I'm always glad to meet great people no matter what they ride or even if they don't.

Whitefish, BC or Ar-Kan-Sas for the next UnRally and I will make every effort possible to be there! :thumbsup:

Of course it is the "people" and not just the riding so I will make every effort possible to be at the next UnRally no matter where it might be. :)

I'm not considered to be refined to say the least, but I do have a passport!

I liked the little place in the Hill Country with the donkeys, one of the others came over to our room to check and see if OUR commode had a lid! (Theirs didn't)

Well, we knew you had a passport, after all, you made it across the border into Illinois. :grin::wave:

Or did they just let you in because you were with Jean???? :rofl:

Jean gets me in a lot places, some are hard to get out of.

Missouri Bob

Dudes!

Has everyone forgotten that in Colorado we can pass around big fat doobies and it's totally legal?

Bob

Les is more
Although I have no idea whether I'll be able to make the UN next summer or not, I heartily thank you both for your positive posts and your willingness to be productive. Good luck on the reasearch!

I second that emotion. The UN will be wonderful no matter where it is held. The fact that there are members who are willing to step up and give the gift of their time and effort to all of us here never ceases to amaze me.

I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so. If there were drawbacks to one or another, the people and riding obliterated those small details from my mind.

Rest assured that the organizers will work their tails off to make it seem effortless for you to be there. They will do everything in their powers to make it as good as possible for as many people as possible and it will be perfect, just as all of the others have been. Go if you possibly can, no matter where it is. Make it happen. You won't regret it.

Missoula, Montana for the location. Good roads in all directions.

Dates: late® July so as not to interfere with the Fourth of July.

I second that emotion. The UN will be wonderful no matter where it is held. The fact that there are members who are willing to step up and give the gift of their time and effort to all of us here never ceases to amaze me.

I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so. If there were drawbacks to one or another, the people and riding obliterated those small details from my mind.

Rest assured that the organizers will work their tails off to make it seem effortless for you to be there. They will do everything in their powers to make it as good as possible for as many people as possible and it will be perfect, just as all of the others have been. Go if you possibly can, no matter where it is. Make it happen. You won't regret it.

Thank you, Les.

Everything Les has said is absolutely true. Every single Un has been in just the right location. There have been people to meet and get to know. Friendships to make that have lasted years and years. Challenging roads to be conquered, scenic views to be enjoyed, and memories to be catalogued to last a lifetime. If you can make it to the Un, go.

I have been to Uns I through IX and loved every one of them. Heck, Jamie and I even organized one and had a blast doing so.

Dang this short term memory loss....Which one did I help you and Jamie with??? :dopeslap:

AdventurePoser

I'd be in for Arkansas, but only if I can ride here:

Unknown-M.jpg

Arkansas would be an East Un, next scheduled for 2015. And from what I recall from the folks who attended Un II back there about a decade ago, everything you say about the place is true. Great roads, fine folks, incredible food, and purty fair prices.

On our ride to Blowing Rock we found the Booger Hollow sign in bad shape and the Park Ranger said that the store was closed.

The roads are still great.

Just a few comments about Whitefish (aside from the fact I love the area):

It's overrun with Canadians in the summer (no offense, Mike!). Traffic sucks, and I doubt you could find any one place with five rooms available for advance group bookings.

I think peak season near any national park is going to present problems in availability and cost for a large group.

I did some "scouting" on our trip up to Alaska. Yakima and Leavenworth, WA has some potential, as does East Oregon.

...It's overrun with Canadians in the summer (no offense, Mike!)...

You say that like it's a bad thing, Dave. :grin:

Dave:

I'm not sure exactly what week you were in Whitefish, but it does get a lot busier July 4 to Aug 14. This last weekend was a long weekend in Canada and there were lots of us Canucks in the Flathead Valley. I know a few Albertans with a condo or "cabin" in the area.

However, there is lots to do on an "off" day. Railway museum, hang out at Whitefish or Flathead Lake, zipline at the Big Mountain, rafting one of the forks of the Flathead River, take a short hike in Glacier National Park, just sit and have a few cool ones at the Great Northern.

The best riding ISN'T where the HD riders go. MT 37 east side of Lake Koocanusa, Yaak River Rd, east side Glacier Park up to Waterton.

And enough gravel to keep you busy for a week.

Mike Cassidy

Well we just don't want you wandering any ole place, but for sure we would put you on highway 7 south to Bogger Holler. Don't get lost now ya hear? :thumbsup:

I would love to go to Whitefish for a gathering. My point was that

1. it is very crowded until late August

2. it is expensive because of the proximity to Glacier and the influx of tourists

3. there aren't many motels with enough rooms for 80-100 of us.

That said, if we can do one there, I'll be there! :thumbsup:

Mark: the visitors from Calgary call Whitefish the Canadian Tijuana cuz it's so cheap for them with all those big box stores and Costco booze!

Please make the voices in my head stop and call the ball.

I hear voices all the time. 1 more drink and I'll see 3 balls floating around, and it might not even relate to baseball.

OK Tom, now tell me which ball does one focus one with one eye?

PS have you dyed your pony tail yet? You could look 30 if you did so.

Nice re meeting you at #12.

Always begin by placing one foot on the floor.

That will keep the room from spinning.

Second, I suggest golf shoes.

As far as the hair styles go, I've done most of them.

Shaved, permed, hennaed, frosted, you get the idea.

What can I say, I had cosmetologists in the family.

Now I'm giving my hair some well deserved time off.

But that could all change tomorrow.

What I learned through all those styles was, two weeks is the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut.

Hey, I have friends / old neighbors who live right there, and it's on my list! Most cool.

Why not interfere with July 4th?

Montana is a cool place- ya get to blow sh!t up!!

None of that safe and sane Kalifornia krap.....

Let creativity prevail!!!

Missoula truly is in a nice location, close to Lolo Pass etc, but... and its a big butt... the traffic is terrible and made moreso by roads not designed/planned for the number of people moving about.

We have spent time measured in hours trying to get from one place to another to achieve fuel, food, and believe it or not just getting out of a 7/11.

Not worth the hassle in my book.

We can always do a "Flash Unrally." Find a nice motel in a great riding area, pick you own date and see who shows!

I'm sure lots of us have found numerous places that would be great UN spots, but most only have less than 40 rooms.

Rapid City or Deadwood, SD other that first week in August (Sturgis.)

So far we have one complete Un proposal that has been submitted. We are awaiting for a second one by the first of next week, as the organizer is doing some more personal scouting, negotiating, and calculating over the weekend. We do hope to be able to review these shortly and have a decision in the next week, maybe two. No promises, but it looks like the dates for either would be mid-June 2014 to avoid the summer rates, the summer crush and excessive heat traveling to/from.

No promises, but it looks like the dates for either would be mid-June 2014 to avoid the summer rates, the summer crush and excessive heat traveling to/from.

Fantastic - thank you in advance to those that are working on proposals! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm? I'll admit I am a newbie to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance... but what is the "UnRally?" Just a motorcycle meet up? An excuse to go on a cross-country road trip? Or? Reading the various posts it sounds like fun, er... unfun. Can someone please explain?

Typically, motorcycle rallies have vendors, seminars, guest speakers, beer gardens, etc. etc. The UnRally has none of these because it's not a typical rally. It's an UN-Rally.

We're a group of individuals who too often only know each other on the internet, i.e. electronic identities and faceless words typed into the nethervoid. The UnRally is our once-a-year get-together to help put faces with the names, to meet and make dozens of new friends who ride a bike like yours, to go to a place with great roads and vistas, to walk a few blocks and try some local cuisine, to pick out some twisties you've never ridden before and share them with your new friends, and to come back to a central domicile and tell lies about it all night long. Then get up and do it again tomorrow.

There are no planned events, other than a group meal on the last night, so that we can all give thanks for the great times, break bread together, and share one last set of fabrications. You do have to register (registration is not open yet, and probably won't be until spring) and a fee, which covers that last dinner as well as a T-shirt. But beyond that, it's all up to you. Come join us. We promise you'll leave wanting to go to the next one.

Dudes!

Has everyone forgotten that in Colorado we can pass around big fat doobies and it's totally legal?

Bob

Not only that, but according to some, you can pass on double yellow lines with reckless abandon!

Dudes!

Bob

Not only that, but according to some, you can pass on double yellow lines with reckless abandon!

I don't think that applies to only Colorado! :grin:

Archived