IGNORED

Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin

EffBee

While this conversation is important and needed, as a former Moderator I have retained enough sense to know that it is likely not going in the direction it was intended, and that is to identify a volunteer. Sorry to have de-railed it (but look at that support - YES!) So if you are out there busting at the seams thinking that you might be able to add to the Un Legacy with your idea, please don't hold back and pony up. I did that for UN2, and it was exceedingly gratifying.

My parting comment is that for future UNs (past 2014), we should consider easing/lifting the East/West tradition. With so many members living on the coasts, any location on the far side of the Rockies from where you live likely makes the Un a non starter for you, unless your name is Paul.

I miss me some 'Nando, ButterKup, Bump, DTool, Beav, etc and all the other Left coasters who would be great to meet. I know, however, that you aren't ever riding East, that was proven by the last Un, and previous ones. The inverse is also true. If we want to keep the reunion spirit alive, it has to be at our old high school, and that is in the Rockies. 'Nuff said. :/

Hey Bud. How have you been? We had some fun times in Gunnison.

Yes we did!

I've been fine.

Hope all is well with you. Are you still riding?

I'm on a 99RT.

Les is more
there are many other parts of the country where this website has yet to hold an Un. There's the CA coast, WA/OR, MT/ID, WI/MN, KY/TN, Upstate NY/New England.

That's true, especially if you don't count Cody Wyoming (2004); John Day, Oregon (2008); and Lancaster, New Hampshire(2009). ;)

I always thought the point was to ride any of the many of the beautiful places this continent has to offer while also putting names and faces together - there is nothing like riding and breaking bread together to remove anonymity. That is something which contributes greatly to the quality of this site. You are right, Fernando. There are tons wonderful spots left to explore. I think, if one were to speak with past UN organizers, one would find that they understand what a great service they've performed for this community. Back in my hole now. Spread the love. :wave:

I will add one comment, for what it's worth. I attended my first UnRally in Gunnison in 2006, and all but one since then. My point is this: given the distance that many of us ride to an UnRally (and the associated expense in gas, lodging, food etc. while on the road, no matter where it's held), I think we're being rather "penny-wise and pound-foolish" with regard to the somewhat arbitrary limits we put on the cost of rooms. I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.

I will add one comment, for what it's worth. I attended my first UnRally in Gunnison in 2006, and all but one since then. My point is this: given the distance that many of us ride to an UnRally (and the associated expense in gas, lodging, food etc. while on the road, no matter where it's held), I think we're being rather "penny-wise and pound-foolish" with regard to the somewhat arbitrary limits we put on the cost of rooms. I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.

Mark,

You may be right. However, I wouldn't have been able to attend this years UN if I had to stay at the hotel. Camping allowed me to be there.

Different strokes for different folks.

It's all good. :thumbsup:

I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.
And I respectfully disagree, I simply won't go if the room costs are excessive, I think the rough limits are appropriate.

i wOULD bE deff trying to make an Idaho / Montana "UN".

I'd also be up for takin' a run up to Enterprise OR for the Terminal Gravity Brewery via Lolo Pass.

Now I'm confused, should I hydrate and stretch more or less?

and no caffeine en route and no no NO alcohol consumption within 48 hours of riding.

Dems da rules, Tommy my man.

I say we should consider places with higher room costs, because in the grand scheme of things, the room cost is a small percentage of what it costs many of us to get there, and back, in the first place.
And I respectfully disagree, I simply won't go if the room costs are excessive, I think the rough limits are appropriate.

First I wanna thank all the previous UN leaders for doing the best anyone could do given the budgetary parameters.......

........ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night. I would rather go to more "special places" at or near national parks or points interest. I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks. I would like to be in or at the point of interest instead 100 miles away. This would also make it more appealing to our SOs.

I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

If this is my vacation for the year ...

:grin:

Firefight911

First I wanna thank all the previous UN leaders for doing the best anyone could do given the budgetary parameters.......

........ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night. I would rather go to more "special places" at or near national parks or points interest. I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks. I would like to be in or at the point of interest instead 100 miles away. This would also make it more appealing to our SOs.

I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

I want the adjoining room with yours! Jamie said she agrees with you on this one. I'll help you put it together if you get it.

Lineareagle

I went to Blowing Rock and was planning on camping. Weather knocked that out so I stayed in a motel across the road from the 'event' motel. I would agree with you. It is nice to have a choice though. My room was probably the same as sharing in the nicer motel but I was able to throw my crap around and not worry about being offensive to someone.

Blowing Rock location was perfect. Walk to town, great restaurants, I know you could do it out west too Whip, go ahead entice me!

................ but I don't get too excited about hanging out in parking lots and places without views to save $20-50 a night.........I would like to be walking distance to the center of towns or attractions instead of on the edges miles away depending on 4 wheel transport after a few drinks.........I would be willing to take the responsibility of doing an UN, but price would not be the first thing on my list..prolly not the second either.

Totally agree. Why is it that owners of some of the most expensive motorcycles offered for sale in the U.S. are also the most frugal? What's the old saying?? Oh, I remember, what's the cheapest part on a BMW motorcycle? The rider. :P:rofl:

I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

+1

This is one of the best ideas I've heard yet. Each coast has their own events. Lets take the +*#%~<% out of the UN. Would be easier for long term planning for those of us that have to have leave turned in months in advance. Can't make em all happy.

I'm not considered to be refined to say the least, but I do have a passport!

I liked the little place in the Hill Country with the donkeys, one of the others came over to our room to check and see if OUR commode had a lid! (Theirs didn't)

OUT

Totally agree. Why is it that owners of some of the most expensive motorcycles offered for sale in the U.S. are also the most frugal? What's the old saying?? Oh, I remember, what's the cheapest part on a BMW motorcycle? The rider. :P:rofl:

Have an 11 year old RT with 138,000 miles on the clock that quite honestly I can't afford to get back on the road, guess I don't belong here any more, and that's OK.

Have an 11 year old RT with 138,000 miles on the clock that quite honestly I can't afford to get back on the road, guess I don't belong here any more, and that's OK.

Now I am gonna cry. Literally.

Oh, I'm not complaining, it's a choice really (though I didn't choose the medical costs that cleaned out the bank account). I've stepped down from my position as master of industry.

Oh, I'm not complaining, it's a choice really (though I didn't choose the medical costs that cleaned out the bank account). I've stepped down from my position as master of industry.

I am complaining, though. If you don't feel you belong here then for me that is a deeply disturbing problem.

I am complaining, though. If you don't feel you belong here then for me that is a deeply disturbing problem.

Bob is not deeply disturbed....as far as you know.

:wave:

Then there are a few of us that cant exist at >9000 for more than a short period. Like was said earlier, there are other events. Just not as many as before...

So, this year it really is going to be an unRally?

Beginning to sound like the Olympic site selection committee.

There is merit to having a rotation, and there is merit to having new venues.

Reality is that only a select few will be attending.

Let us not forget the reasons mentioned above to even have an UN.

We're often knocked out by timing and our field of employment.

Sux.

One day, perhaps, more flexibility.

Just hope I can still ride.

Many reasons to just throw up our arms and say it is too much

trouble, can't please everyone.

More reasons to carry on.

Perhaps at or near the geographic population center?

Nice roads around and close to geographic center in Kansas.

800px-US_Mean_Center_of_Population_1790-2010.PNG

I'm not considered to be refined to say the least, but I do have a passport!

I liked the little place in the Hill Country with the donkeys, one of the others came over to our room to check and see if OUR commode had a lid! (Theirs didn't)

Well, we knew you had a passport, after all, you made it across the border into Illinois. :grin::wave:

Or did they just let you in because you were with Jean???? :rofl:

So, this year it really is going to be an unRally?

Beginning to sound like the Olympic site selection committee.

There is merit to having a rotation, and there is merit to having new venues.

Reality is that only a select few will be attending.

Let us not forget the reasons mentioned above to even have an UN.

We're often knocked out by timing and our field of employment.

Sux.

One day, perhaps, more flexibility.

Just hope I can still ride.

Many reasons to just throw up our arms and say it is too much

trouble, can't please everyone.

More reasons to carry on.

Perhaps at or near the geographic population center?

Nice roads around and close to geographic center in Kansas.

800px-US_Mean_Center_of_Population_1790-2010.PNG

Not too far away from Eureka Springs. :thumbsup:

Oh, Bob, get off the pity party and find a sense of humor.

Oh, Bob, get off the pity party and find a sense of humor.

You're the only one finding any 'pity part' in it, I was mereley demonstrating that not everybody here is wealthy or wants to be.

I say let's take the UN back to its roots, upscale camping at the KOA!

Out

:P

OK, so it needs to be near a National Forest campground so that Whip doesn't have to go upscale, none of those flush toilets for him...

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the open discussion and ideas put forward. Lively debate helps keep the forum interesting.

I was always aware that you can't please all the people all the time. I think everyone is benefiting from this discussion.

And Pat, that camping won't be within sight of a venue I'm looking at. I've actually stayed at that KOA in the distant past, and it is a great location with great facilities. But there isn't a hotel close by that can accomodate a group of 80-120.

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/ Well, other then the picture on their website of Mt Robson which is over 300 miles away :(

Mike Cassidy

markgoodrich

If room prices were increased to $150, and I stayed three nights, the additional cost would be $150.

Let's look at that as an incremental cost of the entire trip. Austin to Salida, and all the riding while in CO, put about 2500 miles on my bike. At $3.75 a gallon, 40mpg, that's $234.00; forget oil and other wear and tear, but bear in mind I burned up half a rear PR3 and about half a Pilot Power 2CT, total cost about $175, assuming no charge for mounting. 18 meals, averaging, what, $12...another $216. It takes me two days to get to Salida, so add two more hotel nights at $100.

If I pushed the calculator buttons properly, the total, exclusive of UN hotel and registration, is about $725, a very conservative estimate. The implication is that adding $150 is a 20% increase in my travel budget...and this is a short trip for me. In reality, the Salida UN probably cost me closer to $900. Attendees from much farther away will have spent much more, implying the theoretical $150 increase in cost might be less than ten percent.

My point is pretty simple, there's not really any need to pick my assumptions apart, but feel free. What I'm trying to demonstrate is that an increase in hotel cost does not in itself break anyone's bank. Or, if it does, why, more than a couple of people at the Salida UN stayed elsewhere, some camping, some because they brought pets, or for other reasons.

I like the idea of east, then west, and even central, and personally have no problem with traveling to, say, Washington from Austin, but realize many don't have the time and financial flexibility I have.

All this is moot, of course, so long as the rules is the rules; my comments, along with so many others, and all the "votes" for various things or places are meaningless unless and until those in charge of this site decide to change some parameters. I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

If room prices were increased to $150, and I stayed three nights, the additional cost would be $150.

My point is pretty simple, .

I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

... and there we were starting a perfectly entertaining feud then along come some guy with reasoning. Come on Mark, get a grip.

I liked Topaz. Decent facility, good camping, great riding, reasonable prices, cost of California fuel out of sight, crazy tourist drivers around that big lake, etc. lets not dismiss it too soon.

Let's look at that as an incremental cost of the entire trip. Austin to Salida, and all the riding while in CO, put about 2500 miles on my bike. At $3.75 a gallon, 40mpg, that's $234.00; forget oil and other wear and tear, but bear in mind I burned up half a rear PR3 and about half a Pilot Power 2CT, total cost about $175, assuming no charge for mounting. 18 meals, averaging, what, $12...another $216. It takes me two days to get to Salida, so add two more hotel nights at $100.

If I pushed the calculator buttons properly, the total, exclusive of UN hotel and registration, is about $725, a very conservative estimate. The implication is that adding $150 is a 20% increase in my travel budget...and this is a short trip for me. In reality, the Salida UN probably cost me closer to $900. Attendees from much farther away will have spent much more, implying the theoretical $150 increase in cost might be less than ten percent.

My point is pretty simple, there's not really any need to pick my assumptions apart, but feel free. What I'm trying to demonstrate is that an increase in hotel cost does not in itself break anyone's bank. Or, if it does, why, more than a couple of people at the Salida UN stayed elsewhere, some camping, some because they brought pets, or for other reasons.

I like the idea of east, then west, and even central, and personally have no problem with traveling to, say, Washington from Austin, but realize many don't have the time and financial flexibility I have.

All this is moot, of course, so long as the rules is the rules; my comments, along with so many others, and all the "votes" for various things or places are meaningless unless and until those in charge of this site decide to change some parameters. I mean no disrespect toward anyone with my comments.

Mark, not picking on you, just that you make some good points (and some I disagree with) so it's a good place to jump in with my personal perspective.

Yes, $150 is not much in the scope of things, unless it's $150 that one doesn't have. You make your point well, and then make the opposing point well, in saying that others may not have your flexiility. What is an Un without others?

When we started the Un, decent hotels at $60 were not a problem. Now it looks like $100-$125 is the going rate, although we do try and get a group discount. We'll see.

It's always been east/west and will stay that way. Why? Because as Tallman points out, it's west if it's to the left of a Lebanon, KS, and east if it's to the right. Salida, CO, was 469 miles from Lebanon, KS. Interestingly, Eureka Springs was equally 469 miles from Lebanon, KS. These, along with Gunnison, CO (twice) and Cody, WY are far closer to the geographic center of the U.S. than they are to either coast (1,212 miles to San Francisco, in the case of Salida). So we've actually had 5 "Central" Uns, out of 12, even though they've been branded "West" or "East"

The second point I'd like to make is this. It's great to have these discussions, and for each to say, "I'd like this..." or "I'd like that." It's another thing entirely for someone to step up and say, "I'm going to research the following area and submit a proposal and if selected will work as the organizer for that Un." Not to minimize the value of discussion, but actions speak a whole lot louder. It is a credit to this board that we've been blessed with (and I know I'm leaving out names) people like Les and Jamie (Cody), Sage Rider and DRSwift (Lake Topaz), beemerboy (Salida), KInsley (Blowing Rock), and many other members who stepped up, along with an incredible supporting team, some notables of which have been Bob Palin (Killer), Laney Andress, and others who have worked behind the scenes. Putting on an Un is not brain surgery. But it's not a one-weekend commitment, either. It's a lot of detail work. It's a lot of repetitious work. It's kudos and a lot of happy people, and it's a few pissed off people who think it's your fault they didn't register on time.

So let's keep the communication going. We get good ideas about locations. We get good ideas about what lodging price levels most are willing to bear. And it also gives each of us an opportunity to say, "More than take from this site, I want to give back. Let me help."

Nando, was the Eureka Springs Un supposed to be East? I really thought, like my previous reply, that the original plan was West, Central and East. I guess I was wrong. It does make sense since we went from Gunnison to Eureka Springs, and back west to Cody.

:dopeslap:

PhillyFlash

The BMWRT UNRally was created to NOT be a rally. Yes, it's still a rally, but the intent was to bring RIDERS together from all over the country, to meet up in an area with great roads and scenery so that we could spend days RIDING those great roads with friends that we had never met in person or rarely had seen, and to make new friends to RIDE with. We wanted as little planning and organization as possible (although it always required a fair amount), and to be as ACCESSIBLE as possible (in terms of distance, lodging/camping options, and price options) to attract the greatest number of attendees. Gunnison was the first, and it was as far west as we felt we wanted to go in order to attract easterners. Eureka Springs was the second, and was chosen in part to be a reasonable distance for westerners (several of us rode from Eureka Springs back to Phoenix in 21 hours). We wanted no venders, and no formal structure. Headquarters for the first UN was at the KOA, where the largest number of people were staying, and it was a good socializing location. There were many motel choices with a very wide range of prices and luxuriousness, most only a few minutes from the KOA. If you happened to skip a ride or came back too early, you had the campground to yourself. We were there to RIDE with our friends, and socialize at night. Having a meeting point (the KOA) where we could all wander around and mingle seemed the best idea to us. And it was the ONLY formal meeting place. It worked great!

The return to Gunnison for another UN wasn’t quite the same. The main hotel and meeting point was on the opposite side of town from the campground and most of the less expensive hotels where many people wanted to stay. This resulted, in my opinion, in two unrallies in Gunnison that week. The campers and those on the west side of town pretty much stayed at the KAO, and the Holiday Inn Express group pretty much stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the east side. There were occasional forays to the other territory, but usually not for very long. The organizers wanted to have better accommodations than what was average in Gunnison, which did meet with some opposition, similar to what’s happening in this thread. Gunnison is a pretty big place, and it wasn’t a problem finding less expensive accommodations for those who wanted them. Since the organizers were staying at the Holiday Inn, they wanted to have it as their base of operations. That was fine, too. However, what I don’t think any of us anticipated was the effect of having half the group in one geographical area and the other half the group in another geographical area, even though they were only 5-10 minutes apart, riding time. And that was the glitch. If you have to put on all your gear and get on your bike to ride somewhere, it didn’t matter if it was only a 2 minute ride or a 20 minute ride – it was just a pain to gear up. When there was only one real meeting place (the KOA) you knew that you’d find most of the people at the Un there, so it wasn’t so bad. But when there were two meeting areas, you had to go to one, then to the other, and then maybe back to the first to find the people you wanted to find. Personally, I didn’t find the parking lot or lobby of the Holiday Inn that conducive to socializing. Most of the folks were often in their rooms, rather than outside socializing. It was much easier to find people at the KOA. Many from both sides chose not to ride around searching for friends after a day of riding. So, socializing was not what it was at previous Un’s. Something to consider.

The Oregon coast, Canadian Rockies, and the Maritime Provinces are all fantastic, but as you get further and further away from the opposite coast, there will be fewer people willing to travel that distance. Remember one of the original premises was to keep it reasonably accessible to the whole country. An organized get-together in the Canadian Rockies, or the Pacific Northwest, or the Gaspe Peninsula, or Key West are always possibilities, but those were usually thought of to be regional events rather than the one-and-only once a year UNRally that was intended to try to bring together the greatest amount of members. If an unrally is held that far from center it will be a regional event for the most part, even though you may still call it an unrally.

The UN was, and always will be, what you made of it. The admins decide where it's going to be held based on the proposals, but then it's up to the organizers to put it together however they choose. If BMWST is primarily a site for the affluent owners of BMWs and other brands, and the vast majority of the members who are going to attend the UN want more expensive accommodations and fine dining, that's fine. If camping or more reasonably priced accommodations aren't options, that's fine, too, if that’s how the membership wants it to be. BMWST is not BMWRT. It has evolved over the years partially based on proprietorship, but even more so, on the activeness of the members. If there are very few members going the UN who plan to camp or stay in less expensive motels, then those members’ needs are a much lower priority. If the campers and frugal members want to go to the unrally but there’s not appropriate accommodations for them, well, they can plan their own get-togethers. An extremely small percentage of members go to an unrally. Do you want to limit it even more by making it the Affluent BMWST OWNERS unRALLY? Maybe so.

My preference would be to get back to the original ideas about an UNRally, but I’m not an active member, and my ideas really don’t mean a whole lot. And I’m not going to step up and suggest/organize an unrally. If the timing, location, pricing, etc., meet my needs and desires, I may go. If not, I won’t. So, if those who organize it choose to have it in a more (or very) expensive hotel, in a location with little or no convenient camping or less expensive lodging, far, far, far away from the opposite coast, and the main places to socialize are in someone’s room or a parking lot, that’s fine. Have it however and wherever you want. People are going to complain no matter what you do. If there is low turnout, then maybe changes will need to be made for the next one; or maybe not. It comes down to what do the active members of the board want.

Now, Fernando, in regard to your comment about a few pissed off people who think it's the organizers’ fault they didn't register on time, I’d be more than happy to fully go into detail for the board regarding what that was all about. Shall I continue? After all, you were the one to bring it up here, and since it involved me, I have plenty I could present. Shall I continue?

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/

Mike Cassidy

looks great to me, I would probably go to an UN based there.

Looking at the map the Big Mountain Lodge and the Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge are quite close to the Whitefish RV park and both are close enough to restaurants etc to walk to...

Looks like single room rates for July next year would be $134 per night for a 3 night stay, could probably get a better group rate.

The BMWRT UNRally was created to NOT be a rally. Yes, it's still a rally, but the intent was to bring RIDERS together from all over the country, to meet up in an area with great roads and scenery so that we could spend days RIDING those great roads with friends that we had never met in person or rarely had seen, and to make new friends to RIDE with. We wanted as little planning and organization as possible (although it always required a fair amount), and to be as ACCESSIBLE as possible (in terms of distance, lodging/camping options, and price options) to attract the greatest number of attendees. Gunnison was the first, and it was as far west as we felt we wanted to go in order to attract easterners. Eureka Springs was the second, and was chosen in part to be a reasonable distance for westerners (several of us rode from Eureka Springs back to Phoenix in 21 hours). We wanted no venders, and no formal structure. Headquarters for the first UN was at the KOA, where the largest number of people were staying, and it was a good socializing location. There were many motel choices with a very wide range of prices and luxuriousness, most only a few minutes from the KOA. If you happened to skip a ride or came back too early, you had the campground to yourself. We were there to RIDE with our friends, and socialize at night. Having a meeting point (the KOA) where we could all wander around and mingle seemed the best idea to us. And it was the ONLY formal meeting place. It worked great!

The return to Gunnison for another UN wasn’t quite the same. The main hotel and meeting point was on the opposite side of town from the campground and most of the less expensive hotels where many people wanted to stay. This resulted, in my opinion, in two unrallies in Gunnison that week. The campers and those on the west side of town pretty much stayed at the KAO, and the Holiday Inn Express group pretty much stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the east side. There were occasional forays to the other territory, but usually not for very long. The organizers wanted to have better accommodations than what was average in Gunnison, which did meet with some opposition, similar to what’s happening in this thread. Gunnison is a pretty big place, and it wasn’t a problem finding less expensive accommodations for those who wanted them. Since the organizers were staying at the Holiday Inn, they wanted to have it as their base of operations. That was fine, too. However, what I don’t think any of us anticipated was the effect of having half the group in one geographical area and the other half the group in another geographical area, even though they were only 5-10 minutes apart, riding time. And that was the glitch. If you have to put on all your gear and get on your bike to ride somewhere, it didn’t matter if it was only a 2 minute ride or a 20 minute ride – it was just a pain to gear up. When there was only one real meeting place (the KOA) you knew that you’d find most of the people at the Un there, so it wasn’t so bad. But when there were two meeting areas, you had to go to one, then to the other, and then maybe back to the first to find the people you wanted to find. Personally, I didn’t find the parking lot or lobby of the Holiday Inn that conducive to socializing. Most of the folks were often in their rooms, rather than outside socializing. It was much easier to find people at the KOA. Many from both sides chose not to ride around searching for friends after a day of riding. So, socializing was not what it was at previous Un’s. Something to consider.

The Oregon coast, Canadian Rockies, and the Maritime Provinces are all fantastic, but as you get further and further away from the opposite coast, there will be fewer people willing to travel that distance. Remember one of the original premises was to keep it reasonably accessible to the whole country. An organized get-together in the Canadian Rockies, or the Pacific Northwest, or the Gaspe Peninsula, or Key West are always possibilities, but those were usually thought of to be regional events rather than the one-and-only once a year UNRally that was intended to try to bring together the greatest amount of members. If an unrally is held that far from center it will be a regional event for the most part, even though you may still call it an unrally.

The UN was, and always will be, what you made of it. The admins decide where it's going to be held based on the proposals, but then it's up to the organizers to put it together however they choose. If BMWST is primarily a site for the affluent owners of BMWs and other brands, and the vast majority of the members who are going to attend the UN want more expensive accommodations and fine dining, that's fine. If camping or more reasonably priced accommodations aren't options, that's fine, too, if that’s how the membership wants it to be. BMWST is not BMWRT. It has evolved over the years partially based on proprietorship, but even more so, on the activeness of the members. If there are very few members going the UN who plan to camp or stay in less expensive motels, then those members’ needs are a much lower priority. If the campers and frugal members want to go to the unrally but there’s not appropriate accommodations for them, well, they can plan their own get-togethers. An extremely small percentage of members go to an unrally. Do you want to limit it even more by making it the Affluent BMWST OWNERS unRALLY? Maybe so.

My preference would be to get back to the original ideas about an UNRally, but I’m not an active member, and my ideas really don’t mean a whole lot. And I’m not going to step up and suggest/organize an unrally. If the timing, location, pricing, etc., meet my needs and desires, I may go. If not, I won’t. So, if those who organize it choose to have it in a more (or very) expensive hotel, in a location with little or no convenient camping or less expensive lodging, far, far, far away from the opposite coast, and the main places to socialize are in someone’s room or a parking lot, that’s fine. Have it however and wherever you want. People are going to complain no matter what you do. If there is low turnout, then maybe changes will need to be made for the next one; or maybe not. It comes down to what do the active members of the board want.

Now, Fernando, in regard to your comment about a few pissed off people who think it's the organizers’ fault they didn't register on time, I’d be more than happy to fully go into detail for the board regarding what that was all about. Shall I continue? After all, you were the one to bring it up here, and since it involved me, I have plenty I could present. Shall I continue?

Philly you make some great points, and your memories and recollections of what the spirit of the UnRally was are exactly on target. Yes, prices have gone up, but we do still try and make it reasonably affordable. And yes, camping was the lodging du jour back in the day, and it seems to have shifted to hotel/motel. As you said, things change. But I love the way you 'splained it to everyone. You were there, as was I, Tommy, Dick, Gleno and others. And some organizers have stuck to the Simpler is Better theme, and others have gone their own way. In the end, though, everyone has met, ridden, made new friends, broken bread and had a good time.

As for the last comment about people registering late, that's been a common complaint from organizers since I helped plan the first Un. It wasn't targeted at anyone specifically, and certainly not at a friend. It was about not being able to please all the people all the time. I was going to say, "people will complain about getting their T-shirt size wrong." But it came out the way it did. Good grief, don't take it personally.

Again, thanks for the clear look back at what the Un is supposed to be. We've had some that were better than others, but we've never had a bad one. You're always a positive influene in that regard, so I look forward to seeing you at the next one.

Bob, would this be OK? http://whitefishrvpark.com/

Mike Cassidy

looks great to me, I would probably go to an UN based there.

You would have to break both my legs and my throttle hand to keep me from making that trip if an UN showed up there. :thumbsup:

Archived