IGNORED

Let the Planning, Discussing and Volunteering begin

EffBee

It's time to start working on UnRally XIII. It'll take place in less than a year (June/July-ish of 2014), and there's lots to cover.

Volunteer your ideas.

Volunteer your locations.

Volunteer to help.

But best of all, Volunteer To Organize, To Lead, To Make A Difference.

Now just to be clear, this is just an idea for a geographic location. As far as volunteering goes, I'll lead any silly ass New Englander that's willing to follow me. :rofl:

Pat

I heard there was some desire to do an UN in OKC.....

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

Maybe everyone is on holidays?

To get the serious discussion started though, lets's hear ideas:

Western UnRallies are a long trip for many board members, and often require more then a couple of days travel to get there and get home.

What week? Is it important to have it the week before or after the BMWMOA Rally (July 24-27 in St. Paul, MN) so people can catch that coming or going? Is it better in June before the roads get crowded?

Do members want to go back to a previous site (Gunnison, Salida, Cody, John Day, Topaz Lake) or someplace completely new?

What is the price point for a hotel/motel?

How important is gravel road access for members?

How important is convenient camping?

Some suggestions of newer sites could be Montana, Idaho, Washington or the Black Hills of SD (but not July please, too hot).

How important is to make a decision before September for individuals that need to put 2014 Holiday requests in early? October? November?

Mike Cassidy

Do members want to go back to a previous site (Gunnison, Salida, Cody, John Day, Topaz Lake) or someplace completely new?

Some suggestions of newer sites could be Montana, Idaho, Washington or the Black Hills of SD (but not July please, too hot).

YES and YES!!!!

I'll lead any silly ass New Englander that's willing to follow me. :rofl:

Pat

Did you say "Pied Piper"?????

I'll call it that if you're game! ;)

Pat

There was discussion, and a host/hostess.

But it was all in fun.

Something in Montana or Wyoming could easily entice me to make that trip across the plains again.

I've always wanted to revisit Red Lodge, MT.....

There was discussion, and a host/hostess.

But it was all in fun.

A very delightful and charming host/hostess for sure.

I know this will be difficult with the limited riding choices and venues available.

I'll lead any silly ass New Englander that's willing to follow me. :rofl:

Pat

Did you say "Pied Piper"?????

I'll call it that if you're game! ;)

Pat

No dirt. Right?

I am planning to have a discussion with some area locals this evening, and we'll determine if we have the resources to put in a coastal proposal. With everyone out at the MOA and other commitments we haven't had a chance to get together and discuss it. Heck, the RFP has only been up 4 days. It takes time to put something together. No need to get antsy. :wave:

There is plenty of diverse riding in the area, and plenty of other interest. But Mike's list of questions is very high on my mind, and others.

I have been looking for a suitable hotel/camping combined venue around here for a year now, and I am not seeing it. So that's one big question. Hotels yes, camping yes, together at one facility, or even real close... not so much.

Another is when? Summer around here gets tight... hotels are full and charge top rate, and it isn't necessarily our prettiest time of year... though it doesn't usually rain. July and later summer can lead to fire restrictions on dirt roads. Also, inland gets hot. I would tend to think late spring or sometime in the fall is best in this area. A lot of folk probably would not like that, teachers and such.

The biggest question is though if you folk are interested? While we think about if we can do it, why don't ya'll provide some feedback on interest in the area. This would be somewhere between Eureka, CA and Gold Beach, OR... likely Brookings or Crescent City. It's a long trek out here, but a prettier section of coast is hard to find.

I should add that one option I have had in mind would be to schedule it immediately following NorCal/SoCal... The ride from Oakhurst to here is top shelf, and weather on the coast is usually beginning to dry up by then, though it can still be WET. The last two years inland heat has been more of a problem than coastal rain.

Heck, the RFP has only been up 4 days.

We don't usually post about the following UnRally until the wind-down from the current one is complete. We do this to not dilute interest in the current UnRally. However, inquiries about "next year's" UnRally come floating in sometimes two years in advance, and people do plan and have their bids ready to go as soon as the current rally is completed. It's something Leslie started, and it has served us well, given that many members do need to make vacation plans almost a year in advance (Salida was the exception, what with the change of ownership it slipped through the cracks, but beemerboy came to the rescue).

So, if you have a proposal, a location, have negotiated some block room rates, have a location for a final group meal, and feel that you're ready to proceed, I suggest you package it up and send it in to us forthwith. Remember, it need not be elaborate. It's called an "Un"Rally for a reason. We trust you'll get the details right. But we do need the basics, which are:

A location with good roads, and good off-roading

A single hotel/motel capable of hosting between 80 and 120 of us

Said lodging should have a common area for apres-ride lie telling and should also have a few restaurants within walking distance

Camping next door is ideal, nearby is still good, and within a short ride is acceptable, if that's all there is

A location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source

Dates and rates

As for help, you can bring your own or there are many good-hearted members here who will assist you with the prep.

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue. Being almost smack dab in the middle of the country it's a compromise of sorts for the coastal folks where we have so many members. I still have my files from Salida.....

As for my two cents all I can say is that the pacific northwest and mid atlantic states are still unknown territory to me. I dearly wanted to do the Little Switzerland Un but weenied out when the temps got too high for my delicate sensibilities. I was but a mere bystander for this year's Un which I couldn't have made anyway (inordinate house repairs/upgrades).

Anyway, since the next one will be out west let's have some fun and do something different!

Thank you for the parameters Fernando. It would be helpful if you would establish a target date for proposals to be made by. Something along the lines of, "We would like to see all proposals by ...."

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue. Being almost smack dab in the middle of the country it's a compromise of sorts for the coastal folks where we have so many members. I still have my files from Salida.....

As for my two cents all I can say is that the pacific northwest and mid atlantic states are still unknown territory to me. I dearly wanted to do the Little Switzerland Un but weenied out when the temps got too high for my delicate sensibilities. I was but a mere bystander for this year's Un which I couldn't have made anyway (inordinate house repairs/upgrades).

Anyway, since the next one will be out west let's have some fun and do something different!

This idea was well received when it floated last time.

Love the NW but Colorado by golly has some nice roads doesn't it?

The worst part about riding here is trying to decide which road to take.

For anyone interested in the MOA Rally, next year's will be held in St. Paul, MN. Dates are 24 - 27 July 2014. I understand it will be held at the State Fairgrounds.
Would be nice for those of us coming from the east coast to have the UN the week before or alter the MOA Rally

There had been some talk about making every third Un a CO venue.
I would certainly support this! :thumbsup:

How about one of are Canadian members organizing an UN in British Columbia. I would like to see Jasper, Banff and other of their National Parks again. :)

Something in Montana or Wyoming could easily entice me to make that trip across the plains again.

I've always wanted to revisit Red Lodge, MT.....

When we were in SLC we toyed with proposing something like that. Unfortunately there are just no BMWST resources in the area, and it was just a little too far from us to really make it work. The greater Yellowstone area is very expensive in the summer as well. Red Lodge is to die for, but starts at $100/nt. Cody is hot and no longer cheap...often congested. We kept our eyes open but never really saw a venue. Jackson is fantastic, but think well north of $100/nt. W. Yellowstone is also problematic.

My suggestion is for people to route through the area on their way to wherever...

The Beartooth has been wonderful despite construction the last several summers. Chief Joseph was in bad need of resurfacing last time we rode it, now 2 summers ago. No idea if they did it or not. Yellowstone has been having construction every summer, and it is best to try to route around it.

How about one of are Canadian members organizing an UN in British Columbia. I would like to see Jasper, Banff and other of their National Parks again. :)

We've talked that over before and it is a problem to consider an UnRally in Canada. At least in Western Canada. There are very few venues that have that combination of good riding with hotel space at a reasonable price. At least for a group of 80-120 people. Holding it within a National Park would be impossible. Then there is the problem that fewer then 50% of Americans have a passport.

We are also having the same problem as Jan has pointed out with cost of venues during the high season of June 21 - Labor Day.

Mike Cassidy

The worst part about riding here is trying to decide which road to take.

So the roads are ok, how about the scenery?

Thank you for the parameters Fernando. It would be helpful if you would establish a target date for proposals to be made by. Something along the lines of, "We would like to see all proposals by ...."

OK, how's this.

Ideally, BMWST.com would like to announce the location and dates for the following year's UnRally immediately following or within a couple of weeks of the end of the current year's UnRally. If you're interested in organizing and hosting such an event, get your ducks in a row well in advance, and be prepared to present to the Admin Team as soon as discussion thread for the "next" UnRally is opened. If you wish, you can present to the Admin Team sooner than that. At the minimum you will need to provide information on the following:

Said lodging should have a common area for apres-ride lie telling and should also have a few restaurants within walking distance

Camping next door is ideal, nearby is still good, and within a short ride is acceptable, if that's all there is

A selected location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source

Proposed dates and lodging rates

OK, how's this.

Ideally, BMWST.com would like to announce the location and dates for the following year's UnRally immediately following or within a couple of weeks of the end of the current year's UnRally. If you're interested in organizing and hosting such an event, get your ducks in a row well in advance, and be prepared to present to the Admin Team as soon as discussion thread for the "next" UnRally is opened. If you wish, you can present to the Admin Team sooner than that. At the minimum you will need to provide information on the following:

A selected location for a group dinner on the last day, along with a caterer or onsite food source

Proposed dates and lodging rates

Ok then please consider our coastal suggestion tabled. Didn't mean to step on the toes of those whose proposals have been years in the works and are ready to go. Looking forward to attending!

When we did Little Switzerland, rooms averaged just about $100\night a few cheaper, a few higher. The restaurants that were closest were all on the hotel grounds save one cafe that didn't open till the last day. There were no takers for camping on the grounds of the hotel, and I don't think anyone actually camped in anything nearby since it was over 5 miles away.

We were cautioned about prices, but still, we had 155 register for that event.

The facility and location will bring people or it won't. You won't please everyone.

I would be willing to support a regularly rotating event in CO, but I think that there might be enough area to consider doing something similar in the Carolinas/Smoky Mountains area. The mountains are half as tall, but the roads are twice as technical!

Then there is the problem that fewer then 50% of Americans have a passport.
I get your point, Mike, I don't think national averages apply. The real question is how many active BMWSTers who live in the US have a passport? I'd be willing to bet this group runs well above the average. We are talking a very specific sub-group, because even though this board has thousands and thousands of members ... only a small percentage attend the UNs. I would love to go to a Canadian event, provided I had the vacation time for the travel.

We are also having the same problem as Jan has pointed out with cost of venues during the high season of June 21 - Labor Day.
Agreed. It's about the same for the Southeast & Mid-Atlantic states, though Fall tends to be the highest price season with Spring/Summer being either equal to or perhaps below that. Prime real estate in the mountains is nearly always expensive everywhere I've searched. The good news is weekdays are almost always much cheaper than weekends, but it can still be pricey (they have to make money in the seasons they CAN make money).

To no one in particular (up for general discussion):

While I'm no expert ... I've been co-hosting a wknd ride event (RCR) for 5 years now and over the same period of time have been looking for possible UN locations in the WV/VA/NC/TN area (mostly online but a fair amount of physical scouting, too).

However, considering our "UN criteria" ... The single biggest limiting factor I run into is Venue Size. Most hotels in the mountainous regions tend towards 30-60 rooms. Couple that with having some sort of convenient Camping alternative the number of possibilities plummets drastically. While venue size can't really be negotiable, clearly the camping requirement really can be viewed as a variable (and don't get me wrong ... I love to camp ... I'm just relating my experience searching for UN locations based on our criteria).

Another major constraint is cost. The number of appropriately-sized venues (even without considering camping) dwindles markedly at the $100/night price point, but drops exponentially for every $10 less/night. As Matt has pointed out, UN X was somewhat above the hoped-for price point but that certainly didn't negatively affect attendance.

I've also run into a few other constraints ... having a place for folks to gather/mingle is usually not a tough one as many folks are fine with hanging out in the parking lot (though it's nicer to have a several possibilities ... lounge/bar, sitting areas, & parking lot). However, both Ken and I have come across some great locations that were negated due to the in ability to drink anywhere except the lounge.

Food options can be a bit of a tough one to work out in that having a room large enough (and cheap enough) for that last night meal. As for proximity of good roads I personally don't bother even looking in areas where there are few good roads, scenery, or too much traffic.

My point is ... there are almost no venues that fit all the "UN criteria." We have to be able to flex and assess a venue for it's overall likelihood for a successful UN. Now what that combination must be is, believe me, a point that can be debated until the cows come home. Just find what you think is a good location/venue and submit it as a proposal to Fernando.

Great summary Craig. :thumbsup:

Your summary and Matt's statement that "you can certainly not please everyone" must be considered for any UnRally. I, also, think that most active distance riders have passports or would get one if we had an UNRally held in Canada.

As a rider who has attended, UN, the West Virginia Friends & Family rally, the old El Paseo, blue ridge rendezvous, and current HeleNback, and I am thinking many more, I will (as opinion only) say I am not sure one specific venue would matter to me. Two venues with a shared parking lot, (i.e. same side of street) I think would be fine. I also love to camp, and now have an enclosed trailer if I want to travel, but again to me that is fifth on the list to Roads, scenery, venue, dinner. So as noted above if you are willing to organize an event (and many thanks upfront) and you think you have items 1 & 2, put your plan on paper and send it in. Even if it involves two motels, and a separate place for dinner. I remember one UN, not sure which one, but dinner I think was at a local fairground. Everyone rode over and back and it worked out fine. As noted by someone above, we are somewhat unique subset of the population, and as such, I think we are far more flexible than standard :-)

I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

I don't know fellas. I'd be one content camper if the Un was held each and every summer in the place of it's birth or nearabouts. We all can ride anywhere anytime, but we don't have the opportunity to see our cross coastal friends often enough. Both the West and the East have their Torreys, FARTs, and RCRs, which occupy the excellent temps of Spring and Fall, leaving plenty of catch-up opportunity with our relatively local bretheren. I think there is a lot of value knowing that if I can't make Colorado this year, then I have a shot at catching up with Wurty there next year.

My vote would be to stick it in the middle of the country in the middle of the year every year, and a LOT of the angst and planning and search for site leaders and local support would be taken care of. There's plenty of scenery to be seen between where most live and the Rockies, and if you live there already, you understand why we all want to come to your doorstep each year.

Make it more Un.

+1

Firefight911

Make it more Un.

I like this idea.

I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison :grin:

That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.

Originally, the Un was going to be West - Central - East, but the Central was scrapped after Un2 in Arkansas. Colorado is as close to Central as to West, so maybe we should consider anyplace west of the Mississippi to be West. Still a lot of pretty country/great roads in Missouri & Arkansas. Just a thought, I'll go anywhere of course.

Interesting thoughts. At present, there is no intention of deviating from our West/East alternating years. Of interest to me is to see that the Eastern Uns always seem far more to the east than the Western Uns are to the west. But everyone seems to like them. And we'e not even explored the north/south options.

Personally, I'm opposed to a single location, or even region. That gets boring more often than not. Colorado is truly beautiful. And my wife and I own properties in Montrose (about 60 mi. from Gunnison and 120 or so from Salida), so from a personal perspective I could go to an Un in Colorado, visit tenants and meet with the property managers and make an Un trip into a tax write-off every two years. But as pretty as it is, there are many other parts of the country where this website has yet to hold an Un. There's the CA coast, WA/OR, MT/ID, WI/MN, KY/TN, Upstate NY/New England. Even an early-summer Un in the southwest (Ruidoso NM, Flagstaff/Sedona & Grand Canyon area, Big Bend NP or TX Hill Country, etc).

Unfortunately, we're often limited in our UnRally locations based on the proposals we receive. If we only get one proposal, then guess where the Un is going to be? Wherever that organizer has researched and arranged. The Admin Team can choose based on where we haven't been before and what suits the greatest number of members. But to choose there must first be a choice. So receiving legitimate proposals from more than just one or two members makes that possible. And for those not chosen, there's always next time. We've had proposals that were not chosen that came back to life two years later and were accepted.

As a group we've made some excellent impressions. Topaz Lodge near Lake Tahoe will have us back in a heartbeat. We took care of their place and they liked that. Same for the family-run hotel in Salida. And I think Little Switzerland and other eastern locations are likewise inclined. We're a good group and we represent motorcycling very well. We should be welcomed anywhere, and not just for our money. Our references are sterling.

- - - - -

On to other things that have been referenced in this thread.

One location (hotel/motel) is usually best. But if you can't fit everyone in, then two locations within reasonable distance will also work. People will find each other. A single main location is not etched in stone. Neither is the camping requirement. If it's there, great. If it's a bit of a hike, well let's not dismiss a good potential Un location because the rural area is, uh, rural.

We've had to hike to get to campgrounds. We've had to pack 20 into the back of a pickup truck to get to the VFW hall for our last meal. We've had restaurants you could walk to and stumble home from. And we've had to ride to them because they were just where they were and that was that.

We've had places with shopping and other non-motorcycle things to do. And we've had places where riding was all there was. And in all of these cases, even if there was a little inconvenience, that faded quickly as the memories of the companionship, new friends and joviality made our recollections joyful.

It was said in a post above that it seems like there's no "perfect" place for an UnRally. That's correct. No site has everything. And it's also wrong. True that no place is extrinsically perfect. But by the time we get together, meet, greet, shake hands, hug, ride together, break bread, ride together some more, share a beverage, tell lies, tell even bigger lies, ride yet again, share a final meal together, and pack up and head our individual ways, we always seem to discover that where the Un was held that year was in fact the perfect place.

...more Un Un?

+1

My first UN was at Gunnison where I met a lot of fine folks and had a great time.

I would love to go back there again!

And if it is good enough for T.M. Roe, it is good enough for me.

Has the UN changed?

That is, has the raison d'etre become fellowship first and riding the UNarea second?

Asking the question to see if the reason we gather is to ride

those roads or to ride and hang with

these people ?

Both are good reasons.

To me, the journey there, and riding new areas is fun.

But mostly I'm IN for the people. (Well except for one of youz guyz :grin: )

I can never remember when I was on a particular road.

Its not that important to me.

For me its always about the people (and the Love).

I think that when you put a group of interesting people together, special things can happen.

Those moments are it for me.

Give me any playground or blank easel along with some interesting folks, I'll find fun.

My Un is the juxtaposition to what most want.

I made it to Salida......I suppose I could make it the extra 70 miles to Gunnison :grin:

That also makes it close enough to Salida for a lunch run to the Boathouse for the BACON!!! MMMMMmMmMmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW......no one would ever have to twist my arm to go back to CO.

+1 on CO. as a matter of fact going to stop in Salida and have me some bacon on my way to Torrey this year.

Archived