IGNORED

Gasoline Fumes ?

Brimoon

Yesterday when I got on my 12RT I smelled gasoline fumes. I looked for a leak under the bike, but could find nothing. I thought that perhaps I had over filled it at the last gas stop, so I rode it for about an hour hoping the oder would go away. However, every time I stopped I still got good whif of gas vapor and I'm having thoughts taking the bike in to the dealer.

Well, I finally noticed that the tank filler top was just slightly open - very slightly and hard to notice. So, apparently at the previous gas stop I had failed to get the filler top to fully latch and just being open a small crack was enough to send out lots of fumes but no liquid. It's the first time this has happened to me in ten years of riding BMWs, all with similar kinds of caps. dopeslap.gif

So, folks be careful to be sure that filler cap is firmly latched and if you smell gas fumes, check there first. (I'm sure glad I figured out the problem before going to the dealer! bncry.gif)

Brian

I 've already done the exact same thing three times..The good thing is that each time it happens it doesn't take me quite as long to figure out where the fumes are coming from. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Been there done that on a test ride, I filled the bike up from emtpy, cuz I had demo'd that ST like 5 times. So on the way back from Indy, I noticed it but didn't think of the lid, snapped it down back at tri-state, and that did it. sheesh! blush.gif

Yesterday when I got on my 12RT I smelled gasoline fumes. I looked for a leak under the bike, but could find nothing. I thought that perhaps I had over filled it at the last gas stop, so I rode it for about an hour hoping the oder would go away. However, every time I stopped I still got good whif of gas vapor and I'm having thoughts taking the bike in to the dealer.

Well, I finally noticed that the tank filler top was just slightly open - very slightly and hard to notice. So, apparently at the previous gas stop I had failed to get the filler top to fully latch and just being open a small crack was enough to send out lots of fumes but no liquid. It's the first time this has happened to me in ten years of riding BMWs, all with similar kinds of caps. dopeslap.gif

So, folks be careful to be sure that filler cap is firmly latched and if you smell gas fumes, check there first. (I'm sure glad I figured out the problem before going to the dealer! bncry.gif)

Brian

done did that for a 30 miles highway run...I felt like a dork

Brian

Happened to me about two weeks ago. It took me about two days to find the "problem" dopeslap.gif

Brian

I get exactly the same after a ride, but having examined the filler cap, I wouldn't say that it's anything other than closed. Could it be a poor seal or breather.

The smell of petrol lasts only a few hours after I've used the bike, and then left it in a confined space.

You all are not alone. I'm sure everyone does it at sometime.
Guilty. dopeslap.gif

I did it on the GS once, and since have always been sure to mash the cap down tightly on both bikes after filling.

I did it too. I made maters worse by loading the bike in my Toy Hauler and going to the lake. I hit a dip in the road at ~25mph and I ripped the wheel chauk out of the floor of the trailer bike tipped over about half way and poored gas all over the trailer. bncry.gif

I did it yesterday and the funny thing is, all day during the ride I kep thinking to my self that I could sware that there was a post about smelling raw fuel. I never noticed it because of the tank bag untill I stopped for fuel again.

I shook my head at myself eek.gif

Slight hi-jack...'ripped the wheel chock out of the floor'??

I just bought a Toy Carrier trailer and installed a wheel chock, all to be able to attend Daytona for the first time in my 35 years of biking. 25 mph sound pretty slow, was it a heckofa bump or what?? Should I do something different? I did drill out the mounting holes in the chock to 1/2' and used grade 8 bolts...

How bad was the damage to the bike? Did you have any indication while you were diving or only find it after you tried to open the clamshell...

Did you simply lock strap the front wheel into the chock or use some other supplemental straps...any suggestions, things you will do differently next time?

Sorry for all the questions, I will be driving about 12hrs the first day and over some pretty bumpy roads, initially at least...

Jim W.

Archived