IGNORED

Boot Opinions

BMWGreenRT

I ordered a pair of Oxtar Matrix boots based on the many good opinions given on them. They came, and felt decent on the foot. My problem with them came when I went out into the garage and sat on the bike and tried to shift.

I could not get the toe under the shift lever, and I did not like the feel of having to shift with the side of the toe pad. So they went back to where I ordered them from.

This brings me to my question.

Any other opinions on boots that will fit the bill for being able to shift unimpeded.

I have worn out my Joe Rocket Rhino boots purchased 5 years ago. They fit and felt like slippers and shifted like having sneakers on my foot. They are no longer available.

If anyone has any experience with the Alpinestar Roam waterproof boots or the Tourmaster Solution waterproof boots I would appreciate your opinion on them, otherwise, let me know what works best for you...except for the Oxtars.

Thanks smile.gif

I encountered a similar problem with the Oxtar's. The molded sole raises your foot on the footpeg. I didn't have that problem with the Sidi Onroads boots that have a more traditional sole to heel relationship. I was able to adjust the shift lever on my K12RS to accomodate the change in foot position. I kept the Oxtar's because they have ankle protection the Sidi Onroads dont have, and I suffered a pretty painful ankle bruise when my '03 was knocked out from under me.

ShovelStrokeEd

There is some adjustment available at the shift lever, you know. I wear size 45 Oxtars and have never had a problem, on any of my bikes, getting my toe under the shifter. More likely you are positioning your foot with the heel of the boot hooked on the rear of the peg. Not good. Ball of the foot should be on the peg and then you reach forward to shift. That's how I ride anyway. Recent bikes ridden with the same boots. 01 Blackbird with rearsets, R1100S, R100S, R1150 GS Adv, R1100RT, K1200RS, K1200LT, Moto Guzzi LeMans, VFR 800 and the list goes on.

Jim,

I use oxtar boots with no probs...get with the program. grin.gif

Ed probably nailed the reason.

Actually I had already adjusted the shifter way back when...

I tried various footing positions while sitting on the bike, and "Nothing" felt right to me.

I guess you can learn to do anything if you keep at it long enough, but shifting is too much of a safety issue with me to be riding around with boots that I need to relearn how to shift with. I tried with the ball of the foot on peg and still could not get the toe under. Put on my old boots and even tired some hiking shoes and had no problem. So I am back to my original request of opinions on boots other than the Oxtars. They are now history.

Thanks

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, Sasquatch, let's try again. Sidi makes a pretty good boot and I think they are thinner in both the sole and toe area. I have a pair of their casual riding boots that kinda look like an old high top sneaker. I wear them when I ride my drag bike, which has an air shifter so the shifting is moot. They are stiffer than the Oxtars but wearable on an all day basis. You might want to look at their site to see if they have something that meets your needs.

Jerry Johnston

If you can shift ok with normal shoes then you'll love Cruiserworks boots. They're comfortable, water-proof and look good.

Sidi On-Roads.

Have 'em, love 'em.

Waterproof. Really.

Comfortable.

Not armored.

They come a little big, I have a size 10 foot and mine are

a 44, they fit perfect with heavy socks but a little loose with normal socks.

Best,

Art

From my limited experience earlier this week, I also think Ed pretty much nailed the solution. Too bad you sent them back as I think they are fine boots.

I had a crash a few years ago and I had on steel toe RedBird ankle high boots at the time. They saved my toes and maybe more. I kept wearing them, even with cosmetic damage, for two more years but wanted new boots to go with the new bike this summer. Given my experience with the steel toes, I wanted the same protection in new boots. I also wanted to be sure they would fit the bike. I ended up measuring the depth of toe on my RedBirds and searching all the local stores for steel toed boots that had near that depth. This is what I finally found.

http://www.worxshoes.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=5565

I have only worn them once so far on a 200-mile ride and they were fine. I have worn them around the house for several hours to check their walking comfort. So far so good. More serious testing in the spring but I have decided to keep them. thumbsup.gif

I found them at my local RedWing shoe store.

PS: RedWing has some motorcycle specific boots but without the steel toes. The also have some nice workboots with steel toes but none would fit the bike. frown.gif

I had the same problem when I first got my Matrix boots. After a few weeks of riding they got more flexible and shifting is easy now. I'm not trying to push the Matrix; I only mention this because you may have the same problem with another pair of new boots.

Aluminum_Butt
After a few weeks of riding they got more flexible and shifting is easy now
I was thinking the same thing. I wear Diadora, not Oxtar, but it took a couple of rides for the ankles to flex enough for me to shift normally.
BMW Contour boots work for me -- waterproof, fairly comfortable, no problems shifting.

I had considered these, but they just weren't comfortable on my feet.

Does anyone have any experience with either the

Rev-it Fusion, or Triumph Expedition boots?

Ditto what Art said about the Sidi On Roads. They're VERY comfortable, but not armored. BUT ... if, even with the shifter adjusted, you had problems with the Oxtars, I suspect there's something about your riding position or ankle geometry that might give you trouble with any boots ... so be sure to take your bike to the "boot store" and try em' out sitting on the bike and see if you can shift o.k.

For anyone that has a leather boot that is CLOSE to fitting I have a method that has flawlessly worked for me. I have a very wide foot so I often run into the problem. A bit of tough love but it does work.

Here's how.

Put on the boots without buckling or lacing. Fill a bucket with warm water deep enough to top the boots.

Step into the water let the water run into the boots and squish your feet around for awhile.

Step out and lace or buckle the boots, make sure you put the tongue, leather folds, etc exactly where you want them. Walk around in the boots all day.

Presto the boots are instantly broken in. thumbsup.gif

BTW it is best to use un-colored socks.

<snip> I would appreciate your opinion on them, otherwise, let me know what works best for you...except for the Oxtars.

Hey gang,

I have a friend with very (very) wide feet. I've helped him search around a bit on the net for *any* decent riding boot that even mentions having any wider widths, but so far not much luck. Can anyone recomend a brand or site where he could find some really wide size offereings? I think he said EE oe EEE depending who makes them.

Archived