IGNORED

Headlights R1200RT

hank9975

Just installed HID's and expected the CANBUS to just tell me the headlights burned out due to low voltage of HID's. Not so,it cut the circuit off! Sooo, any ideas how to fool CANBUS or install a resistor in the circuit? confused.gif

Well this one is going to be tricky because the monitor is expecting a fairly high current from a 55W bulb. Somewhere around 4 amps. I suppose one could start out experimenting with somewhere around a 10 ohm 50 watt resistor and see if you can fool it. But you're also going to have to carefully consider the placement of the resistor too, as a 10 ohm 50w is going to generate a fair amount of heat.

Keep us posted, this one is interesting to see what you come up with.

I would also be careful with the load you send back to a Quad Driver when using resistors in the circuit. They are very robust, but if you manage to damage one permanently you will spend some big money to replace the network controller. dopeslap.gif I would re-think my approach before a trial and error work around. eek.gif Get a good automotive D.V.O.M. (fluke 88) and perform a load test with the OEM bulbs running on the bus so you have a base point to work off of. thumbsup.gif

Well the plot thickens! Thanks to Brendan at South Sound BMW he showed me a bike he is currently installing HID's and what has to happen is a relay. Relay for power and the low beam from the headlight will trigger the headlights to come on like normal. I thought it was LOW voltage but on startup the ballast take too much voltage and shut downs circuit. The burnt bulb light will still be on the dash. I can live with that. Thanks for the input from all. How do I get rid of the "just joined" too? I've been around for years grin.gif

Archived