IGNORED

Hexhead RT Wunderlich Clock Surround

Guest Kakugo

Tired of the glare on my 2009 RT clocks, I recently decided to pull the plug and buy the Wunderlich Clock Surround.

Since I am a stylish person, I got it in matte black (special order at no extra charge from Nippy Normans).

Here's what I found out:

Good points

1)It works exactly as advertised. While it doesn't completely eliminate glaring, it makes the central display well readable when sun is in the 11-2 o'clock arc, the one causing the worst glaring issues.

2)It looks incredibly stylish in black, almost like it came that way from the factory.

3)Installing it takes minutes. You can use either silicone glue or a good quality double sided tape.

Bad points

1)This is the most common complaint: the anti-glare film it comes with is impossible to install properly. It doesn't matter how skilled you are: it's just damn impossible to fit properly.

2)I am 6ft tall, so not exactly Andre The Giant, but to get a good complete view of the instrument cluster I have to hunch considerably. Wunderlich must have hired some chap chap 5ft tall to test it.

Now the really bad news. Despite having followed Wunderlich instruction to the letter, the surround came off after only one week. I could blame the glue but... come on. Glue is just glue.

Luckily it didn't fall off.

Like with all Wunderlich products I had I am not 100% satisfied with it. It does its job well and looks incredibly good but the drawbacks make me think if I can get that silicone off the clocks I will get a K1200GT surround and sell it off on eBay.

Otherwise I'll just learn to live with it.

Camhead in STL

The secret to antiglare film install is two-fold:

• Use Photodon MXG custom-cut film
  • Install with a light mist of 98% alcohol.

There's NOTHING better at cutting glare... I use this on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for GPS use...

Guest Kakugo

Thanks for the heads up but shipping costs would make the operation uneconomical to say the least, plus if I remember correctly one member here said he contacted an anti-glare film manufacturer and was advised not to use it on a bike clocks because it won't hold up long.

Oh and guess what?

I managed to clear all the silicone on the clocks perfectly but while removing the very last drop I put a nice scar on the clock cover. Don't ask how because I refuse to answer. Razor blades are not involved. :cry:

Luckily it's a small scratch and the Wunderlich surround covers it perfectly. This time I used double sided tape and seems to be a much more solid fit.

Lesson learned and let's hope if I ever find a K1200GT surround it will cover it just as well.

Archived