IGNORED

K75 Questions Please Help!

JohnNorCal

I just bought a 1992 K-75 right before Christmas. I've ridden it maybe 50 miles. Tonight I was in the garage and noticed that there was a small drip coming from the oil filter compartment. I took off the cover and was greated with a downpour of light gold oil. It looks as if the seller was trying to impress me with a fresh oil change and didn't tighten the filter up as tight as needed.

Now to the questions..is there supposed to be a washer on the hole that the mates with pipe that the filter screws into? I see that the filter has a rubber seal on the perimiter mating surface.

How tight should I turn the filter? Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the drain plug because there wasn't one there before.

I know that these are stupid questions but my shop manual is enroute from Chicago BMW and I haven't had the nerve to work on my 1150RT.

TIA

russell_bynum

LOL!!!!!! Welcome to K-bike ownership. I did the same damn thing when I first changed the oil on Lisa's K75. I figured "I'll just take this cover off so I can make sure the filter looks the same as the replacement one I bought.", and the next thing I know, there's 4q of oil on the garage floor.

Little did I know, the filter is actually IN the sump. eek.gif

The oil that you just dumped was not oil that leaked out of an improperly tightened filter...it was all of the oil that was in the sump.

I beileve that there is a rubber O-ring on the cover that you remove to access the oil filter. There should also be a rubber gasket on the oil filter itself...just like pretty much all screw-on filters.

I do believe that there is also a crush washer on the oil drain plug.

Steve......

There is a rubber washer inside the plate with 3 allens that covers the oil filter and they should be tightened to 10 Nm's or 7 foot pounds, same torque for oil filter pan allens if you ever take that off...Drain plug to 30 Nm's or 22 foot pounds....I always replace the metal drain plug washer and check the large o-ring that is under the filter plate...Tighten the filter carefully by hand until it seats then another 1/2 turn without any wrench (or very carefully with one)..The same method we're supposed to use on all filter replacements..I don't remember much oil under filter when I removed the plate but my memory is suspect anymore.............Oh.......That's because I drained the oil and let it really drip first.....Should have read Russell's post more closely..... .That IS the sump....If it was leaking oil at that plate that large o-ring must be suspect and missing the metal washer under the drain plug would probably allow oil seepage.......

Data from Clymer's manual on K75's and K100's..........

Enjoy the K75....I have.......

Phil.............Redbrick

Boy was I stupid!!!!

Not only did I dump all of the oil but I spent about an hour mopping all of the oil out of the sump thinking that the oil had gotten into places that it shouldn't have been!

I did find the crush washer in my pan for the drain plug after I posted this last night.

So I guess in summary I could have just tightened the one allen head on the oil filter cover and saved myself an oil change!

Well that explains it. I couldn't figure out how I could have such a bad leak but yet the oil sight glass was still showing full. blush.gif

Classic! I'm a slacker and simplyrely on the dealer changing my oil... went to a tech day a few weeks ago and learned about how the filter sits in the sump... I was stunned... if I wasn't so uninterested in doing my own wrenching I certainly would've done the same thing. tongue.gif

russell_bynum

Boy was I stupid!!!!

Don't sweat it. I've talked to at least three other K-bike owners who sheepishly admitted that they did the same thing.

Boy was I stupid!!!!

Don't sweat it. I've talked to at least three other K-bike owners who sheepishly admitted that they did the same thing.

Make it four. dopeslap.gif

Got down to my local dealer yesterday before they closed. I got a new filter,sump gasket and drain plug gasket. Got everything back together. I put 4 qts. of BMW oil in. Put it to the top of the sight glass.(I was debating as to draining out a little bit but didn't) I went for a few rides today and no leaks so I guess that I am ok thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all of the help. I got a good deal on this bike. A 92 K75 with 52K miles for $2000. The only thing that it needs so far is a new seat. I think that I'm going to head to Corbin. All of the other after market seats are meant for the hinged models. Mine slides in from the front. I'm not sure if it was the low seat or not. The previous owner cut down all of the foam because he was very short.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the K75.....Curious about which model (C, S, RT?)......About seats; we had one rebuilt by Rocky Mayer (Bill Mayer) in Ojai for the wife's 1150RT and are very happy with it.......There are a number of good seat mfgrs. Suggest you post for input from riders who have had seats worked on for K75's...I really like my K75RT seat.....It is a BMW seat but an upgrade from standard I think....

Phil.........Redbrick

Archived