IGNORED

Panniers size?

kmac

Anyone with hard metal boxes, I would like some dimensions. I am building my own boxes but I would like some starting points of reference.

I am looking for length, front to back, and height top to bottom. I would really like some sizes of other brand boxes as well, other than just BMW GS/GSA. I would love some Vern's, Jesse, MotoGuzzi Stelvio, KTM 950/990...about any metal box measurements so I can mock up some cardboard ones.

Thanks a ton.

Firefight911

Here are the dimensions of mine plus the 45 L size (Touratech Zega Pro) -

31L = 17.4 x 8.0 x 15.5 inches

38L = 17.4 x 9.5 x 15.5 inches

45L = 17.4 x 11.1 x 15.5 inches

Look at some ammo cans?

NOOO

I am going for a cleaner look than that. I can get aluminum at cost from my welding shop buddy, my uncle owns an air conditioning company that fabs his own plenums so he has a large shear and a 10' Dake break, and my best friend owns a welding shop and specializes in aluminum welding so making my own set of custom boxes will be cheaper and easier than even ammo boxes and I think they will look cleaner and be lighter.

Besides, I just want to....lol. That is kinda the whole point of the bike, and excersize in "what if".

Thanks.

That is a couple inches bigger in both directions than Zegas...good to know.

I like Jesse's and Vern's world beaters the most and want to copy a few of their designs and make something cool.

If I can make a whole bike, I think I can some boxes...I hope.

I've been thinking about making something on my own too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I think the main thing I'm concerned about with ideas I've had is how to make a secure mount but still be able remove them easy.

• 5 months later...

My old GS had Jesse boxes and were 20" long. Everything fit inside, even my air mattress. My new GS came with BMW bags and I have to keep my air mattress on the outside. I was disappointed. consider your gear when designing the bags.

• 2 months later...
My old GS had Jesse boxes and were 20" long. Everything fit inside, even my air mattress. My new GS came with BMW bags and I have to keep my air mattress on the outside. I was disappointed. consider your gear when designing the bags.

Well, the bike designers are more worried about your safety than your ability to carry things. This is applied to weight as well as aerodynamics and translates into things like maximum approved GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and speed limits with bags installed.

Archived