IGNORED

Airhawk Seat Cushions???

CharlieAllnut

CharlieAllnut

I'm thinking about an Airhawk cushion as a present to myself for my upcoming birthday, but wonder if they really work as advertised. I occasionally do trips with some long hours on the RT and would like to alleviate some of the tingle, burn, numbness, or whatever.

Is this a good investment? Any comments or opinions are welcome. TIA

It's all personal preference. Some folks like them and other simply prefer a beaded or sheepskin cover. Just stop and consider how satisfied you'll be with how it'll attach to your seat and if the surface of the airhawk will let you move around the way you prefer. Of course if you're not comfortable in your current saddle it might not be a bad idea to set the airhawk money aside and save for a sargent, corbin etc...

How well does an airhawk OR the sheepskin work with the dreaded "monkey butt"? I know that beaded seat covers are great in this regard, because your ass is kinda raised up and you get ventilation. what about the other two?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Funny you should ask, because I've currently got one for sale. And it's half off of retail AND (bonus) I sewed some elastic on so it won't slide off of your seat.

50251597-M.jpg

50251599-M.jpg

Well, it looks like my advert has dropped off of the classifieds so if you're interested, drop me a PM. I thought it was great, but nearly all of my riding is urban commuting and I just don't use it very much. The one week trip I had it for, it performed as advertised. smile.gif

I find the sheepskin adds additional comfort and I sweat less. I can ride longer without getting a numb bum.

Two disadvantages that it has:

1. Raise seat height just a little (I'm not 6'10")

2. I remove it when it rains as I don't want it soggy.

Other than that I honestly think it is brilliant. I leave the rear seat naked until my wife joins me then I add her sheepskin cover as well.

I like my Airhawk, but I really haven't needed it until I have ridden 6 plus hours. I have a Sargent seat.

With the stock BMW seat my butt was burning in 90 minutes.

ShovelStrokeEd

I regularly do 12 to 13 hours on the stock seat. I have taken to a sheepskin cover on the longer trips and do find some enhanced comfort. I think this is more due to the gear, both outer and inner, I wear than anything to do with the seat construction. Takes a few years to figure it all out, is all.

I tried an airhawk twice and it didn't work either time. If you really want to try one I highly advise you go used so you can recoup your expense if it doesn't work for you. A lot of folks love them and you may be one of them.

Got an Airhawk back when I had the FXD and have tried it on every bike since. It continues to hang in the garage mainly due to poor air circulation and the squirmy feeling. Like others here, I recently bought the Alaska Leather sheepskin for longer rides - it adds the comfort I was looking for in the Airhawk.

I loved the Airhawk seat cushion on my Harley's with big wide touring type seats such as the Mustangs but it does not work well for me on the RT because of the seat heigth and the narrowness of the seat..I don't think you would like the Airhawk for anything except a big touring type seat and only then if it were on a very low seated bike.

Hi,

Have the Airhawk"small cruiser"style version 1(pre retention straps)

Have used it on my previous 99RT and now on my K12RS.

As a previous poster mentioned,it's good to change between for a long days ride(especially on the torture RT stock seat),I alternate between the Sargent or GT seat on my K12 and the Airhawk.

Previous posters have reported that theirs were too big,maybe they had the large cruiser style?The small has worked well over several BMW's for me.

The definite secret is to put as little air into the cushion as possible,otherwise you do get that squishy feeling.

JR356

I have one and I like it a lot. I think a lot of people put too much air in them, hence the squishy or wobbly feel to the cushion. I bought a used one and I recommend doing the same. A Sargent seat came extra with my used GS, but I prefer the stock seat and the AirHawk. Despite the responses posted here so far, there are lots of people who swear by the AirHawk.

I tried it and didn't like the disconnected feeling it gave me from the road. While it is quite comfy, it can also lift off at speed if you like to stand on the pegs to stretch. A better option for me was a Rick Mayer custom saddle.

I really like my Airhawk for long days in the saddle while touring, but I just don't bother with it for day rides of say four or five hours. I find the saddle on my 12RT to be reasonably comfortable for that kind of ride.

Brian

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
it can also lift off at speed if you like to stand on the pegs to stretch.
Sure, but it's easy to sew a strap on the cover. $0.50 of elastic and a needle/thread and you're done. Inelegant perhaps, but works quite well.

I used an Airhawk for years on my RSL.

Set up properly it made for an all day ride with no discomfort.

My GT has a different shape to the saddle and is more comfortable so I use the Airhawk less.

I heartily endorse the product. thumbsup.gif

I can endorse the AirHawk as well. I bought one over a year ago, use it every ride and have relegated buying a custom seat to the back burner as a result.

My long rides are usually in the 500-700 mile/day range, several trips a year and I've never had a posterior ailment issue using the AirHawk.

Using a piece of carpet runner adhesive fabric, available at flooring stores, anchors the AirHawk to my stock seat very well. Just cut to fit the underside.

I've found that just barely inflating the seat cushion is the key to comfort and avoiding the "swiggly" issue...good luck on your decision.

Archived