IGNORED

Poly belt

kfrancois

Has anyone replaced a Poly alternator belt. If so how did you tension it. The Clymer Manual says there is a BMW tool required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many/most around here seem to set the tension with the 'half twist' method (tighten until you can just twist the belt 90 degrees by hand) with good results.

Changing the poly belt requires no special tools. Technically, a belt tensioning tool should be used if you are working to dealer specs but as Seth described, the half-twist method works fine. You'll need a basic set of metric tools.

Do a search on the method of changing the belt so you're aware of all the pitfalls.

As I always say, if you're concerned about being able to do the job, get someone to assist.

russell_bynum

Definitely change the belt per the recomended interval.

As Seth said, the "twist" method of tensioning the belt works just fine.

My 850 (same engine, smaller pistons and sweeter running alternative to an 1100!) was easy. The tension is set by applying the specified torque, 8 Nm, to the lower left handside alternator mounting bolt and then tightening the nut to it's torque setting, 20 Nm, along with the other two nuts and bolts. For once an operation that was as easy as the Haynes manual would like you to think everything is!

Good luck

Has anyone replaced a Poly alternator belt. If so how did you tension it. The Clymer Manual says there is a BMW tool required.

Remove the left alternator mounting nut and replace with two standard nuts tightend together on the stud leaving just enough clearance so that the alterator is still free to move. Apply 8Nm and hold while you tighten the remaning two nuts. Remove jam nuts and replace with the stock nut.

russell_bynum

Remove the left alternator mounting nut and replace with two standard nuts tightend together on the stud leaving just enough clearance so that the alterator is still free to move. Apply 8Nm and hold while you tighten the remaning two nuts. Remove jam nuts and replace with the stock nut.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall doing it from the other side using an appropirate size hex bit socket...and maybe an extension.

ShovelStrokeEd

I just poke the nose of a shorty tire iron up under the bottom of the alternator and, with the nuts just a bit tighter than finger tight, run things up till the belt tension feels right, tighten one nut and check some more, if all is right, tighten the rest and I'm done. Used to be, a set of tire irons came with your tool kit and they are perfect for the job. You airhead guys know what I mean.

I just poke the nose of a shorty tire iron up under the bottom of the alternator and, with the nuts just a bit tighter than finger tight, run things up till the belt tension feels right, tighten one nut and check some more, if all is right, tighten the rest and I'm done.
Well if we're all coming clean I'll admit that's all I do too. No torque wrenches, no special tools, just a 14mm wrench, a prybar, and a little sense is all it takes.

Archived