IGNORED

Wethead Getting an Update... Already!

Guest Kakugo

I've heard the R1200GS-LC assembly line will be shut down shortly (if it hasn't already) to implement a number a number of changes/upgrades:

1)New gearbox bearings and shims

2)Redesigned water/oil pump (not sure which)

3)Stronger clutch basket

Anyone can confirm/deny that?

First Wethead post baby! :grin:

And I don't even plan on buying the bike...

All of those changes would be incorporated in the new WC RT, which means the "wait till the second year" rule might be safely ignored. When's the new RT going to be available?

All of those changes would be incorporated in the new WC RT, which means the "wait till the second year" rule might be safely ignored. When's the new RT going to be available?
:rofl:
Guest Kakugo

Easy man: they still have to fix the side stand pivot, the abnormally fast rear brake pads wear and, what's most important, the handlebar switches. :grin:

PS: pre-orders for the RT-LC here in Europe will start in October-November and deliveries will start in March. Then production will stop over the Summer to fix the bipolar connector and particle destabilizer. :rofl:

Wait 4 years. That's a safe bet. :grin::lurk::dopeslap:

IndianaHarvey

Wait 4 years. That's a safe bet. :grin::lurk::dopeslap: [why wait, life is too short/quote]

Wait 4 years. That's a safe bet. :grin::lurk::dopeslap: [why wait, life is too short/quote]

Depends if you want to be a beta tester. At least wait until year 2.

Some things don't seem to be BMW's ability to fix.

Take Stick Coils as an example. R1150 R1200 and still they die! Moreover we the end user still get charged an arm and a leg for the privilege.

LeftCoastMan

I'm going to wait a few years (I mean, I just bought a new RT), then get either a used K1600GTL or used WC RT.

I'm finding that there are some crazy people who buy a BMW, ride about 2000 miles in two years, then sell it at a huge discount.

It might just be a rich Californian thing.

Some things don't seem to be BMW's ability to fix.

Take Stick Coils as an example. R1150 R1200 and still they die! Moreover we the end user still get charged an arm and a leg for the privilege.

I wasn't aware that the coils were an issue on the 1200's. Even on my old 1150RT, I had changed the coils but mine were actually fine.

The problem was proper TB cleaning and balancing, including replacement of the spark plugs.

• 2 months later...
I'm going to wait a few years (I mean, I just bought a new RT), then get either a used K1600GTL or used WC RT.

I'm finding that there are some crazy people who buy a BMW, ride about 2000 miles in two years, then sell it at a huge discount.

rich cali thing? the state is bankrupt?? oh well ;yep thats what happens when the water supply gets contaminated by pot plant chemicals-- but hey its legal-- ohhh there is someone huggin my tree out front got to go-- hey hippie get outta here !!

i thought 3.5 was a safe bet-????? :thumbsup:

Whatever works for you. It just seems to me that BMW has a bad record in the last decade of introducing new models with problems. May be the WC boxer will break that trend, but it's probably best to wait at least a couple years in on a new engine design.

You would know from living in California. Kind of surprised though as riding is pretty much year round there. I could see that if one lived in Minnesota or Maine.
  • 1 month later...

The big advantage to a used bike is that it lets you put more of em in the garage for less $. Plenty of good 2-5 year old low mileage stuff around and you can find low miles even on real old stuff if you're patient.

Best to find one that's seen the local dealer regularly unless you know the home wrench is competent- many will overlook stuff that needs repair.

The big advantage to a used bike is that it lets you put more of em in the garage for less $. Plenty of good 2-5 year old low mileage stuff around and you can find low miles even on real old stuff if you're patient.

Best to find one that's seen the local dealer regularly unless you know the home wrench is competent- many will overlook stuff that needs repair.

Unfortunately there can be only one.

2013 R 1200 WGS 12,800 mi and not one problem. Best bike I ever owned does everything better then GT,RT, LT, Naked, or dressed. Love it and am very glad I've been able to ride this best of the best.

I might be dead in 3.5 years..... Do it now ....enjoy it now.. Fix it later....

2013 R 1200 WGS 12,800 mi and not one problem. Best bike I ever owned does everything better then GT,RT, LT, Naked, or dressed. Love it and am very glad I've been able to ride this best of the best.

Hi Steve, I recognise you love the bike. But there is NO WAY the bike can be better than the RT in every respect. Take weather protection as an example. If your argument was correct, then there would be no need for a fully faired bike...which there is.

Having went from a 09 RT to the 13 GSW I was surprised by the protection on the GS. Riding in some rain the amount of rain I would typically get that accumulated in my crotch area on my 02LT & 09 RT would be substantial. on the GS it does not accumulate there!

As a side note I have also changed gear that is now 100% waterproof vs a water proof liner system that I had when I rode the LT & RT.

Wind protection I get a little more on my shoulders & upper arms but even on 50 degree rides no colder than on the LT or RT Actually the unfaired heads on the GSW throw off some heat like on my old 82RT did. Not nearly as much but you can feel it in cool weather. In hot weather if you dip your toes down plenty of cool air to be had.

So in summary the GSW in hot weather is much cooler to ride than the RT and in cool weather 45 to 50 deg F. no thermal issues wearing the proper gear.

So while the protection is ''less'' it really is not.

What the RT does better is stability at high speed + 85MPH with luggage. The front wheel stays planted and feels more secure on the RT at the elevated expressway speeds. And the LT was even more stable than the RT at the expressway speeds. But who really wants to ride the expressways anyway?

All testing was done on a closed course so no laws were violated in the US. Wink wink

Although mine was out of commission for about two weeks after the 600 mi service (waiting for parts - new throttle), I'd agree that the GSW is the finest m/c I've ridden in the past 50 years (and that is a number of bikes). It lacks the wind & weather protection of the RT, but adds off-road capabilities and less weight...fair trade for me - although YMMV.

Might as well toss in my .02 cents here as well. Have had 7 beemers over the last 20 years and to date the GSW is the best of the lot, FOR ME! They've all been good and reliable and I've only had a single FD failure, that on my 06 K1200GT at 48k. Sold it after 55k miles and bought another brand, was disappointed, sold it and bought my GSW. The farkling is completed and looking forward to next spring for some fun!

Might as well toss in my .02 cents here as well. Have had 7 beemers over the last 20 years and to date the GSW is the best of the lot, FOR ME! They've all been good and reliable and I've only had a single FD failure, that on my 06 K1200GT at 48k. Sold it after 55k miles and bought another brand, was disappointed, sold it and bought my GSW. The farkling is completed and looking forward to next spring for some fun!

Yep, me too! The outside temp this afternoon is not yet above freezing around here.

• 1 month later...

4 years?

The way it works for Germans (Mercedes and BMW) is that at some point in the model run there is a "facelift" version that includes lots of fixes and then a minor styling update.

For the Oilheads, the facelift was called 1150.

For the R1200s, Camhead.

4 years?

The way it works for Germans (Mercedes and BMW) is that at some point in the model run there is a "facelift" version that includes lots of fixes and then a minor styling update.

For the Oilheads, the facelift was called 1150.

For the R1200s, Camhead.

And those facelifts and update introduce new problems. 3-4 years is about right to avoid being a beta tester.

Hi Steve, I recognise you love the bike. But there is NO WAY the bike can be better than the RT in every respect. Take weather protection as an example. If your argument was correct, then there would be no need for a fully faired bike...which there is.

had 05 and 07 R20057 RT 80kmi drove with w/s down except in pouring rain. full fairing did not work well in wind, high wind. more wind on shoulders with RT.

GSW more wind on hands-colder less on shoulders, more wind on thighs but winter pants fix that. summer heat better on GSW more comfortable then RT

sorry, but for me GSW does it better then full fairing. Ride is better for me ,my wife and my grandson then on the RT.

Hi Steve, you comments are interesting and kind of reinforce what a lot of us think. The OEM screens are compromised for aesthetic purposes. Many long distance / year round riders fit an aftermarket screen either taller and/or wider.

I still ride an oilhead as for me I believe it still offers better weather protection than the hexheads. And for sure better than the GS...but I do use an Aeroflow wider/flip up screen which I love. I ride it at about a 1/4 raise any time I am moving.

Hi Steve, you comments are interesting and kind of reinforce what a lot of us think. The OEM screens are compromised for aesthetic purposes. Many long distance / year round riders fit an aftermarket screen either taller and/or wider.

I still ride an oilhead as for me I believe it still offers better weather protection than the hexheads. And for sure better than the GS...but I do use an Aeroflow wider/flip up screen which I love. I ride it at about a 1/4 raise any time I am moving.

yes I agree most OEM w/s are not the best but BMW really did their homework on the 2013 GSW screen it was a selling point for me. I rode today up in the mountains temp was down to 29deg but it was a beautiful 300mi ride.

The farkling is completed and looking forward to next spring for some fun!

Uh...is there a GSW farkles page including pictures that you posted to?

We wanna see pics!!

Need to search over on ADVRider or PM me with an email address for a link to pix. Don't spend much time here anymore as there seems to be more GS activity there. :Cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Sticky_throttle

Brought home a '14 GSW in Oct. My take on this--the wind protection rocks! Smaller w/s than previous GS', not to mention RTs, yet the entire scheme is surprisingly effective.

I've ridden RTs but haven't owned one, so I can't make definitive statements. Had an FJR, though, and I believe the wethead provides superior protection. It's lighter, has nimble handling and the engine is really...swell! Me likey.

Rode today in 27F Salt Lake City weather. At least there's no bugs. :Cool:

• 1 month later...

Archived