IGNORED

UN Rally Check In

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

Made it home by 7 AM with a 4 AM departure. Took it easy the 1st two hours to avoid meeting up with Bambi. Caution was validated when I was 10 miles from home and saw a big buck dead on the shoulder and a big bike (GoldWing?) in the ditch about 50-75 yards further down the road. Looked like police had been on the scene for a while so I couldn't tell about injuries.

Had a great time. Thanks Ken and Craig and everyone else who worked on this. It was a superb location and really well organized. Thanks Whip for making the T-shirts. They are both fantastic. And thanks Bernie & Bob for letting me chase you yeaterday.

Hope to see everyone again soon. :thumbsup::)

I made it home at 9:45 after a nice ride around Watauga lake on 321.

Thanks to Ken and everyone else that organized the event. The location, accommodations, meal, and fellowship were great.

Bill Murray

Departed The Meadowbrook Inn at 6:52 AM and with Paul Winter (Racer7), Becky Hucks, and Tony and Jill Barcia. We stopped for lunch in Rockingham. No rain or thunderstorms on the way home! Arrived home after 312 miles at 1:32 PM.

I was great seeing everyone again, and making some new friends. A BIG thank you to Ken, Craig, Whip, and everyone else behind the scenes who made this Un Rally possible.

We headed south from the UN on the BRP. Saw LesterV, Nadine, Al and Deb several times on the way. We've reached Bryson City, NC where we'll stay a couple of nights before starting north.

Had a great time at the rally. A big thanks to Ken, Craig and all the others involved. Was really great to put some faces to names I've known for some time. A real big thanks to Whip for the work he did with the UN bling and especially the T's remembering Paul (WHIP WE MISSED YOU!!!!). :wave: Bob (Killer) also always quietly handles registration for just about every board event and a big thanks went to him as well.

Paul was remembered often by those in attendance. Bob (endobob) and others shared some moving, and at times, humorous memories at the banquet. Many of us also shared some stories and remembrances of Bob (Quinn) as well. Bob, in his muted style, was such a big part of so many of these get togethers.

In closing, if Mrs A and I did anything outrageous I am holding the wine store up the street responsible (they owe me a commission). :rofl: Hope we can meet up with you all again real soon.

I made it back to HOTlanta (90+ degrees) before thunderstorms hit.

I want to thank everyone who helped behind the scenes and all of the encouragement and moral support from so many on the Board...you guys and gals are great!!!

I took a few photos

i-J6832nd-L.jpg

i-gHH3Rdp-L.jpg

i-5gXHqQF-L.jpg

i-tPnx3hB-L.jpg

i-kfHv2Z5-L.jpg

Thanks Ken, Craig and all who made this a great event. Ken, those pics are.icing on the cake. Had a super time and the ride home was quick, hot, and almost dry. 20 miles from home the storms hit and cooled things off nicely. :thumbsup:

Left the hotel at 7:15 and was at Starbucks inFernandina by 3:00. All good! Hope all get home safe and I look forward to FARTing in the fall.

Home at 6:30pm. Little rain near Jacksonville but

all in all a nice ride. BIG thanks to Ken an crew

for a great week. Next time!!

Home safely.

Exactly 12 hours, 600 miles.

1/3 slab, 400+ backroads.

Hot as Hades.

Fortunately it rained for about 130 miles in south Georgia to cool

it off.

Big thanks to the two Ga. St. Troopers who watched us go by in the rain a bit over, ;) .

Sorry officer, it was raining so hard I couldn't see the speed limit sign.

:grin:

Big thanks to Bob (Killer) for all you do to make these happen.

Big thanks to the Whips for all you did w/out any fanfare, as usual.

Ken, Craing, this was a fabulous event.

Beth and I had a wonderful time.

Top notch facility, great food, the roads :thumbsup: .

So nice to see old friends and put a face to board members I had not met.

Still on a UNhigh after a long ride...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

:clap:

Home after a interesting ride home. Leaving Robbinsville, NC the rear tire started to feel squirrelly. I pulled over at the beginning of the Skyway. Check the rear tire and it had 14psi. I looked the tire over and didn't find the stainless Steel welding rod in it! I aired it went to the Wheeler tire shop on Hwy 129. They had my tire "Anakee 3"in stock and changed in 30 minutes. A real thumbs up to them!

Ken and crew great Job, awesome venue. In 1140 miles I was in 5 miles of rain, Awesome!!!

Alan

After checking my patched rear tire this morning and adding more air, I decided to slapped it home, no sense to take any unnecessary chances.

Coffee with Highway41 around 4:30 PM. Just finished unloading bike.

What a great event, thank you Ken, Whip, Killer and all the rest of all the great volunteers.

Also a big thank you to all the road crews for maintaining the big and small roads.

What a great week of riding.

I took a few photos

i-J6832nd-L.jpg

Thank you Ken for organizing yet another fantastic BMWST gathering! For me your picture above captures the essence of the roads, scenery, and weather we had this week. Fantastic roads and great scenery when one could take the time to look around between the challenges of fresh gravel, dirt, etc. from the constantly changing weather. One of the best weeks of riding I have ever had! :thumbsup:

Must give a huge thank you to Bernie for putting together Ken's and some of his own roads to give us day after day of fantastic rides.

Thank you to Whip, Killer, Craig, and others that makes things so much better for the rest of us! The BMWST family is the best! :clap:

It took me 11 hours to get home on the Blue Ridge Parkway and back roads through VA. Got on the slab/beltway around DC and it took me 1&1/2 hours to go about 10 miles in very heavy traffic and very heavy rain. Ended up with just a little over 1500 miles of smiles! :)

Home Friday afternoon just in time for the daily down pour we seem to be having in Il.

A big thanks to the people that make this happen. They do such a good job that all the rest of us have to do is ride, ride and ride.!!

The location was super, what a concentration of twisties in all directions with just the right amount of excitment, wildlife, sand, flowing water,slow moving locals to keep you alert.

I hope I can make it to next years UN to do this all over again.

Thanks to all for the great time (again). I had a nice two part ride home. Had to take cover for a while in Northern Ohio. Sprinkles the rest of the way.

Just got in, 2:15 CST. Had a great time seeing old friends and making new old friends. Venue and countryside was outstanding. Many thanks to Ken, Craig et al.

Got home at 5PM today. Got rained on three different times which makes it a perfect week, rained on two or more times every day since Sunday.

Thanks to all the usual suspects that made this happen. What fun to just show up and enjoy.

Saw old friends, met new ones including Bernie, Bob, Leigh, Mattie, Tim and Beth.

Good stories to tell next year.

Lineareagle

Arrived back at 7pm today. Basically jumped on 219 and rode it the whole way to Buffalo.

Spent Friday night in Elks WVa, an early off the rode due to a massive T-Storm in my path ( and I was pretty spent anyway) and no sooner had I signed in and parked the bike under the awning then the pitter patter of drops was announcing the leading edge of the storm.

Upstairs with my luggage in hand I looked out to torrential rain coming in completely horizontal!

I'm no meteorologist but I did stay in Holiday Inn Express.

The only time I ever got close to these guys was at stop signs or when they were waiting for me at intersections.

2013-06-26_08-29-49_529-M.jpg

See what I mean?

2013-06-27_09-22-25_226-M.jpg

I think they are all grinning under those helmets.

2013-06-27_09-23-01_619-M.jpg

My first Un and I was impressed. Thanks Ken and all the others for putting in the effort.

And a special thanks to those in the pics who took it upon themselves to show the Canuck a few roads in the beautiful hills around Blowing Rock. Bernie, Bob, Steve, Dave and George I had a great time.

LeighAnderson

Bettie & I made it home today and unloaded bikes & trailer in Houston 100 degree welcome-home weather. Thanks to all who made the rally and our first trip to NC so good. It was nice to meet new people and see again those I met in Salida.

Thanks to everyone. Another fine adventure! Looking forward to seeing some of you again in early August at Snowshoe. (RCR5).

Bettie & I made it home today and unloaded bikes & trailer in Houston 100 degree welcome-home weather. Thanks to all who made the rally and our first trip to NC so good. It was nice to meet new people and see again those I met in Salida.
:wave:

A short cautionary tale. After the fine dinner Thursday night, I went back to my "mobile home" at the KOA in Boone. Crawled into my tent and went to sleep. Later I heard a crashing sound and looked out to see my bike on the ground on the left side.

All of the rain softened up the ground and the side stand sunk into the ground. :dopeslap:

My neighbor Tom helped me put it back upright. :clap:

Special note to endobobdds: That makes two for me. :wave:

There are days where I feel more old and more stupid than I am. :/

RichEdwards

Got home to Tampa in the pouring rain Saturday morning. :)

Thanks to Ken and crew for a great Unrally.

Some pictures:

Chris and Nancy on the real Blowing Rock:

IMG_1143-L.jpg

Under the Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway:

IMG_1152-L.jpg

On top of Grandfather Mountain (exactly one mile high). Motorcycles were not allowed up on this day because of high winds:

IMG_1161-L.jpg

First, thanks to Ken Craig, Killer, Whip, and any other's I may have omitted that contributed to making this a great UN!

I had a lot of fun even if on 4 wheels instead of 2.

Rob, thanks for being a great roomy and ride a long partner. Lotsa fun!!!

Tommy... So glad you finally made it back to an UN!!!

And thanks to all others I interacted with over the course of the event. Socializing really makes the event for me!!!!!

I had a really fun return:

Drove back down to Charlotte, and refueling rental car prior to it's return when I learn my Friday flights have been cancelled.

Mad scramble to retain rental, obtain motel room, and confirm flight reschedules for Saturday.

I get to the airport Saturday, and my first flight is delayed nearly 2 hours due to weather in Chicago. As it is, the flight crew does an extremely fast boarding after being told the plane had to vacate the gate due to an incoming flight needing the gate. So after my flight boards, we pull out on the ramp and sit for about another half our. (Actually happy with this as the option of a gate shuffle would have delayed even further.) The flight finally takes off and we have an good fast flight (regaining 1/2 hour) to ORD (O'Hare).

The delay has eaten all the layover time in O'Hare, and I have to rush from the end of one of the concourse to the end of a different concourse to catch my connecting flight to Reno. If the Reno flight had left on time, I would have made it with one minute to spare.

The Reno flight, however, is delayed. First by 10 minutes, then by 1/2 hour. Turns out the boarding gate is alarming and we will be unable to board the aircraft until resolved. Decision is made to move aircraft to an alternate gate 1/2 way back down the concourse. This takes another 1/2 hour.

The rest of the flight is uneventful, but just to top things off on the 50 mile drive home from the airport, some critter decides to commit suicide under our vehicle. Time just to see the blur of fur and the thump....

I should have rode the bike.....

Sorry I missed it, but thanks to those who posted pictures. Not nearly as good as being there, but I can add some things to my future bucket list.

At home, we had strong winds and heavy rain briefly Friday afternoon, and knowing that the hole in the roof was patched, and the threatening trees were gone allowed us to rest easy. Every time I go down the hill from our house, I see a house that was badly damaged by a storm 3 weeks ago. At the rate repairs are going, it's going to be months before the residents move back in. I love my trees and my motorcycles, but each carries risks that need to be acknowledged.

on the 50 mile drive home from the airport, some critter decides to commit suicide under our vehicle. Time just to see the blur of fur and the thump....

Careful Michael-- PETA is watching........ ;)

Finally home after extending our stay thru this morning. Terri's car made it after all (though an appointment with the dealer is forthcoming.

Our UN XII pics to come later. Right now I wish to simply extend thanks to several people ...

A HUGE thank you to Ken for putting this event together. What a great location! (BTW: To those who keep thanking me as though I were a cohost ... thanks but all I did was to do the name tags. This was Ken's event.)

Also, I wish to thank all who helped Ken: Bob (Killer), Joel (Slumgullion), Larry (Whip), all who helped with check-in, and anyone else who helped that I am not aware of.

Lastly, I want to thank all those who attended. It ain't an UN without attendees.

Unfortunately ... UN XII is over. Bummer!

mikeR1100R

Georgi and I are not home yet. We went further west and rode the Tail of the Dragon. A huge disappointment, as we were behind some very inept cruisers. If a Ninja 250 is in first gear behind you, you are barely moving. Then it poured rain.

We proceeded to Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. Beautiful! Had some amazing barbecue for lunch then proceeded northeast. I-81 to I-40 where we ran into the aftermath of a serious traffic accident. We got off, visited a winery, ate supper and found a hotel.

After 2 more days of riding combinations of interstates and backroads, finding 2 more huge traffic jams and another rainstorm, we are in Pine Grove, PA for the night. We plan on riding through the Poconos and getting home tomorrow afternoon.

We really enjoyed the UN! Thanks to Ken, Craig and everyone who worked to put together another great UNrally!

Made it home last night around 5pm without incident. Actually would have appreciated some rain as when I stopped at 7pm on Friday night it was still 95 in Miss. Getting too old for that much heat. Had to detour by the grand kids house yesterday but backroads all the way so was nice.

thanks to Ken and Craig for a great UN!

Matts_12GS

In about 830 last night after a late start to loaf around the area.

Great job Ken, really a fine event. It was great to see so many friends and meet so many new people.

Ashley and I really really had a great time.

Home at 4:30 Saturday. Two days of dodging thunderstorms. (Sometimes not very successfully.)

Thanks to Ken for another fun event. Enjoyed seeing everyone.

Highlands is on the calendar.

Home last night around 5pm. What a great event! The location and the roads had a positive effect on everyone. Great hotel, great bed and a very good breakfast. Thanks to Ken and Craig and all the others hiding in the background.

Here are a few thoughts and observations: In many cases 68 years of age is the new 45 for this group. Who would have guessed that we would have made it through the 1970's alive and well! Experimentation is the word that comes to mind. But here we are doing what the mid-20's do and in most cases doing a better job.

I finally took the advice from the members that looked at my rear tire and stopped at the Triumph dealer in Asheville. 3 hours later later a new Pilot Road 3 was mounted and balanced. I had to use the BRP to scuff the new tire in!! Life is so tough.

Finally at the group dinner, I was impressed with the heart felt tribute to Paul and the group introduction. Tears on one and smiles on the other.

It is so good to see old friends and meet new riders that share a great common interest.

I have put Roan Mountain on my top 5 rides. Damn fine! Later and everyone ride safe--BF

Here are a few thoughts and observations: In many cases 68 years of age is the new 45 for this group. Who would have guessed that we would have made it through the 1970's alive and well! Experimentation is the word that comes to mind. But here we are doing what the mid-20's do and in most cases doing a better job. .....

It is so good to see old friends and meet new riders that share a great common interest.

Amen!! I share the year of your birth and your observations! :thumbsup:

I am heartsick that I could not make this event... and even more heartsick that the F.A.R.T. is not looking remotely possible either.

But very happy for all of you who made the trip and got to enjoy it!!

Miss my BMW Peeps. Hope to change the travel mojo for next year!

xoxo

Home last night around 5pm. What a great event! The location and the roads had a positive effect on everyone. Great hotel, great bed and a very good breakfast. Thanks to Ken and Craig and all the others hiding in the background.

Here are a few thoughts and observations: In many cases 68 years of age is the new 45 for this group. Who would have guessed that we would have made it through the 1970's alive and well! Experimentation is the word that comes to mind. But here we are doing what the mid-20's do and in most cases doing a better job.

I finally took the advice from the members that looked at my rear tire and stopped at the Triumph dealer in Asheville. 3 hours later later a new Pilot Road 3 was mounted and balanced. I had to use the BRP to scuff the new tire in!! Life is so tough.

Finally at the group dinner, I was impressed with the heart felt tribute to Paul and the group introduction. Tears on one and smiles on the other.

I have put Roan Mountain on my top 5 rides. Damn fine! Later and everyone ride safe--BF

Hey, roomie.....you give quite an accurate and heartfelt summary of this event and its impact on us "new 45er's". I find I have to pinch myself to remind me how fortunate I (we) am (are) to be doing this with such fine company and great roads and scenery.

I enjoyed the event, and you are the "ideal" roomate. See you and many others soon (FART) I hope.

Nancy and I finally made it home last night around 6PM. We had a great time as it was a wonderful location with wonderful people.

Thanks to Ken, Craig, Joel, Killer and Whip for all the work you put in so that we could have such an enjoyable Un!

Archived