IGNORED

And this is what it is all about........

Firefight911

Ophir Pass would be a piece of cake on your Oilhead D/S. It wasn't even difficult on Bill's R100G/S. Hell, even twisties rode it on a DR-Z without falling down. :grin:

roadscholar
RS Thanks for the input. I really want to see that area. Where does that trail start and stop?

I would like to look at it on google maps or somewhere.

GPS coordinates?

k, just google Ophir Pass Rd. plenty will pop up, but it runs E/W between US550 a few miles north of Silverton over to CO145 a few miles south of Telluride, CR8 on the E side and 630rd. on the W. I'd recommend staying in Ouray or Ridgeway because they're central to a lot of similar rides, and allow yourself at least a few days, it's a very scenic area. When I was in Ouray last weeek it rained 2 of the 3 days so I squeezed 8 passes into the 3rd day. Didn't linger long for lunch but got quite a few pics, I can post more if you're interested.

When lunch isn't the 1st priority. :)

335-L.jpg

337-L.jpg

As far as difficult, it really isn't, some spots are steeper than others, and it's slightly looser and rockier (10-20%) than it was 4 years when a group of us rode it, but quite doable on a big bike. It just looks intimidating in person then once you commit to the west side turning around could be tricky.

These guys were probably 3rd or 4th gear on-the-gas all the way up, but you see what they're riding!

331-L.jpg

332-L.jpg

lawnchairboy

In retrospect, I think on a bigger bike it would be less challenging to go west to east over that pass coming out of the town of Ophir running towards 550.

roadscholar

Yep, done it both ways and at that angle it is a little less challenging going up, but IMO the visual crescendo from the other direction when that wall gradually comes into view far outweighs it, yes waxing poetic. :)

But I discovered over the past few weeks, on the steeper stuff, think I like down better, could be just me. At least you can see roughly where the crash will be!

I am pretty comfortable going up or down. This info is great folks, thanks.

I already started sending my riding buddy pics to wet his appetite...lol. Funding the ride is my only issue right now.

Ophir Pass would be a piece of cake on your Oilhead D/S. It wasn't even difficult on Bill's R100G/S. Hell, even twisties rode it on a DR-Z without falling down. :grin:

I didn't see that. Just saying.

roadscholar

One of the days we were riding I asked Edd, how come you don't take hardly pictures out here? .."what's the use, ya can't show what it's really like anyway, waste of time". Typical, right on the money. :grin: I try anyway, but actually it's one of the reasons I started shooting on the move maybe 15 years ago, just didn't have time to stop!

Ok there's 3 ways to get back over to Ouray from Telluride (not counting Black Bear, it's one-way going west), the highway (145 to Ridgeway), Imogene Pass (I'm saving it for a future trip plus it's late, I'm alone and already whipped after 6 other passes), and this one, Last Dollar Rd. It runs up behind the Telluride airport and rejoins 145 near the Dallas Divide, basically a shortcut over the mountain, of course which takes a lot longer.

looking south on 145

404-L.jpg

north on 145 and into Telluride

406-L.jpg

428-L.jpg

heading up Last Dollar

441-L.jpg

446-L.jpg

458-L.jpg

467-L.jpg

480-L.jpg

482-L.jpg

489-L.jpg

495-L.jpg

507-L.jpg

500-L.jpg

513-L.jpg

516-L.jpg

533-L.jpg

550-L.jpg

553-L.jpg

Ralph's house (Lauren), one of 'em anyway : )

557-L.jpg

and down into Ridgeway

566-L.jpg

Sumo's are not usually too good in loose, gravelly or sandy stuff. They are good on hard pack dirt and great on asphalt.

I am going to guess there may be something different in the question though?

roadscholar

I think edd was just wanting some feedback since the WR wasn't running while he was there and couldn't ride it himself. The X version according to specs sits 1.5" lower (35.2 vs 36.6 seat ht.)than the R but has the same suspension travel, I think 10.6 and 10.4. It could be the X has stiffer suspension but I haven't ridden an R for comparison so don't know that. I rode it in some sandy conditions one day and fairly rocky stuff another and liked it more than I expected. Once used to it, it was definitely preferable to the DRZ400. It doesn't turn as quick (on dirt) with the fat tires but that's easy to get used to. It felt nice and compliant offroad and I thought it might bottom in a few big holes and on some steps, but it never did. I'm happy with it but I haven't ridden any 450/350/500 KTM's or Beta's to know what I'm missing, which is probably good.

I already had some background though, we have a buddy locally that has one (he's 5'4") and few can keep up with him if he doesn't want you to, in sand or whatever else. I'd probably like the 18 and 21 on the R better but at 5'8 I'd rather have the lower seat, especially in rocky and unlevel terrain.

028-L.jpg

... went down Engineer Rd. to see if it'd improved any since we were on it, NOT.

130-L.jpg

Ugh

Then went back over here, it was a little better.

290-L.jpg

355-L.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... Highlight stuff

Hey, sorry I missed you guys, had to go, I was already late leaving. Hopefully next time!

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Archived