IGNORED

And this is what it is all about........

Firefight911

I kept waiting for a couple of kids on 250's to rip past him :grin:

Or Bill riding two-up one handed snapping pics as he goes by! :thumbsup:

Pat

Can't go wrong with the PBR...how did he keep it cold?????

I was thinking the same thing. Hot PBR is no bueno!

Watched some of the other vids on his YouTube channel, they're pretty good. Detail and quality is up there.

Yep, seems professional. Obviously a crew out there. I hope the crew had the sense to use a truck, or ride something reasonable, like a....

admit it, you think I am going to say Tenere... nope, ....

DR650 or such. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. Nice cookin', but around where I come from we'd describe those "trails" as highways. Is that all you GS guys got? Let's see some real adventure riding.

roadscholar

Here ya go Mike, we've been here before but it's worth another look.

068-L.jpg

091-L.jpg

We had to eat some microwave cheeseburgers in here but they were actually quite good. :grin:

039-L.jpg

roadscholar

We need to have a reunion and add a few dozen that didn't make it the first (or second) time. :)

I'm shootin' for Sept. again, think about it!

lawnchairboy

Im angling for some late Sept leave time, I'll keep you posted. I could ride that salida-buena vista-alpine tunnel-pitikin-black sage-old monarch loop 10,000 times and not get sick of it.

Tomichi creek pass, that's another story.

Chris

roadscholar
I could ride that salida-buena vista-alpine tunnel-pitikin-black sage-old monarch loop 10,000 times and not get sick of it.

I don't know about that, :) but fortunately there's plenty of others.

013-L.jpg

Although there is a fun little section to add on the way into BV.

016-L.jpg

003%20%282%29-L.jpg

Bill, all nice but that last pic is just flat out cool! :thumbsup:

Pat

+1

I can't wait to get back out there and ride again.

I had been thinking of taking the DR's to Torrey... a pre or post Torrey jaunt to Ouray had been discussed.... Salida would work too... post-Torrey would probably work best for me... hmmm....

roadscholar

Super. I'll probably be out the last couple weeks of Sept. at least. Maybe you could stop in Ouray on the way to Salida, if you haven't done Last Dollar or Owl Creek, they're both very scenic, particularly then. Salida area has a lot of variety though and more choices, most well-suited for the DR's. Besides I want to see your photographs from Alpine Tunnel and a few other places. btw, I finally picked up an older 5d but it came with a cheapo lens, so I'm looking for a decent 35 or close. I don't think there'll be any 40mph over the shoulder shenanagins with that two-handed monster. :)

Super. I'll probably be out the last couple weeks of Sept. at least. Maybe you could stop in Ouray on the way to Salida, if you haven't done Last Dollar or Owl Creek, they're both very scenic, particularly then. Salida area has a lot of variety though and more choices, most well-suited for the DR's. Besides I want to see your photographs from Alpine Tunnel and a few other places. btw, I finally picked up an older 5d but it came with a cheapo lens, so I'm looking for a decent 35 or close. I don't think there'll be any 40mph over the shoulder shenanagins with that two-handed monster. :)

Probably not!

I don't think there'll be any 40mph over the shoulder shenanagins with that two-handed monster. :)

Uh huh.......give it time :rofl:

Here ya go Mike, we've been here before but it's worth another look.

068-L.jpg

091-L.jpg

We had to eat some microwave cheeseburgers in here but they were actually quite good. :grin:

039-L.jpg

Bill where is that pic taken from on that cliff edge road???? I wanna go there

Alpine Tunnel in Colorado

b72c7c9ba95258b424739e79eec2e5f5.jpg

Theres Bill

a0639fac4fa8270730742f34bfb7c036.jpg

And YES, it is awesome........the pics (as good as they are) do it no justice

What is the best time of year to ride there? I am guessing not January...

We got hit with rain, snow, slush, hail, and 90+ degree weather in the same day. That was the last week of July. I would say that anything other than July and August could give you problems depending on what you are riding and he altitude you plan to visit. I'm sure Bill will chime in with better info.

Alpine Tunnel in Colorado

b72c7c9ba95258b424739e79eec2e5f5.jpg

Theres Bill

a0639fac4fa8270730742f34bfb7c036.jpg

And YES, it is awesome........the pics (as good as they are) do it no justice

You guys are doin' a little better now. At least we're seeing some places you wouldn't go in an Accord. Carry on! :thumbsup:

roadscholar
What is the best time of year to ride there? I am guessing not January...

We got hit with rain, snow, slush, hail, and 90+ degree weather in the same day. That was the last week of July. I would say that anything other than July and August could give you problems depending on what you are riding and he altitude you plan to visit. I'm sure Bill will chime in with better info.

It usually opens near the end of May and depending on snow can be open thru mid Oct. The General Store in Pitkin has a bulletin board that'll give you the info. When people stop in and tell them they made it over a certain pass (and didn't have to get towed down) is how they know when it's open. :grin:

I was there the first day it opened last year (two guys on bikes had made it earlier in the day) and it was ok except for a few rocks and a couple smallish snow banks.

053-L.jpg

069-L.jpg

056-L.jpg

032-L.jpg

roadscholar

I'm living in the wrong state for GS riding...

Naw, right state wrong buds, Bill and Co. can help get your adventure on! ;)

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=73972&Number=824063#Post824063

Pat

FLrider, we ride in Ocala Nat. Forest a good bit in Fall and Winter, it's about halfway between Jax and Tampa. Keep an eye on the CADS thread (Sandbox) on Adv, maybe we could meet up there. We do other stuff too but don't really get south of about Sanford.

roadscholar

You guys are doin' a little better now. At least we're seeing some places you wouldn't go in an Accord. Carry on! :thumbsup:

C'mon guys, a little help here, Mike'll start to think we're a bunch a girlie-men, don't want that do ya? :)

Disclaimer: Off-road conditions are nearly always worse (steeper, rockier, sandier, etc.) than a camera shows them, and you don't see the real tricky stuff because you can't stop for a photo!

Here's Edd riding (not near, but on) the Continental Divide.

112-L.jpg

129-L.jpg

108-L.jpg

115-L.jpg

While I'm watching that I think...I would not want to be on that trail with my old XR600 let alone my 1150GS...am I summarily discharged from the GS club? Time for an RT or ST...or heaven forbid an LT? Already had orthoscopic surgery on both knees due to trail mishaps on much smaller bikes...I've run out of knees....

roadscholar

108-L.jpg

I'm thinking that's a no-go for me. :grin:

LOL, that's right, tall guys don't get to have ALL the fun! :grin:

I was just thinking about you the other day, went down Engineer Rd. to see if it'd improved any since we were on it, NOT.

130-L.jpg

Then went back over here, it was a little better.

290-L.jpg

355-L.jpg

Hey, sorry I missed you guys, had to go, I was already late leaving. Hopefully next time!

roadscholar
those pics on the trail going from Monarch peak?

It was. I didn't think anyone was going to ask. :)

048-L.jpg

But first we had to warm up some, I'd seen pics and heard stories...

014-L.jpg

My sidekick was ready for whatever. :thumbsup:

002%20%282%29-L.jpg

!!

...things were looking sweet!

056-L.jpg

ok, we can do this.

066-L.jpg

074-L.jpg

but do we really want to... :grin:

076-L.jpg

Actually I do but this is where it occurs to me my compadre is not only prepared for most mechanical maladies, he also possesses an inordinate amount of common and good sense! Edd says it time to turn around and I concur, things were deteriorating and we couldn't tell if they'd continue or improve. So we look for a wide spot and do this.

077-L.jpg

080-L.jpg

So Edd heads back down toward his bike and I yell, "Edd, don't leave me up here" then I think about Whip, and add "to die all alone". :grin:

091-L.jpg

finally work my way down, and ask Edd how he found a parking lot to turn around in, and he goes, "that's why I stopped here". :dopeslap::grin:

101-L.jpg

Simultaneously exalted we got back down and pissed we didn't make it, I vowed to come back, maybe with a trials bike or at least something a lot lighter. :)

roadscholar
Took the GS up & over, that one little section was the area that gave me a bit of pause.

A couple years ago we were coming up the Telluride side and saw this fellow on a loaded down R1200R in Ophir that had just crossed over and I stopped to chat. Said he was on his way from N.Y. to L.A. and his GPS showed the road as a shortcut so he took it. His eyes were the size of ping pong balls. :grin:

roadscholar

Kelly, here's a wider shot (if that's what you were referring to) but it's hard to grasp the expanse of it without something for reference. The road is steeper than it looks, example: my WR was alternating locking frt and rr brakes because 1st gear wasn't low enough, although it is longer than stock. It would be a worthy test for your project.

354-L.jpg

RS Thanks for the input. I really want to see that area. Where does that trail start and stop?

I would like to look at it on google maps or somewhere.

GPS coordinates?

I totally understand what you mean btw about it being steeper than it appears, That happens alot offroad. I have lots of pics of areas in Kennedy meadows that look fairly easy but are very steep and technical. Cameras lose alot of perspective.

Archived