IGNORED

Zenmaster or Motorcycle mechanic

Illini

I'm doing all my research now and saving up my pennies to buy an 06, 1200RT. I have always done ALL my own wrenching on the bikes I've owned. I've torn into an Austrian Rotax motor and rebuilt it. I've torn down the 2 V4's I own. I have lots of metric and SAE tools, TORX, T Handle allens etc. etc. etc..

If I go Ubber am I going to need a new set of tools? I hate "Special Tools" that MGF's make up and I'm willing to bet engineers get bonuses for creating them (no offense to the thousands of engineers on this Forum thumbsup.gif) Should I return to school and get another PhD in order to work on an RT?

"So far I have only had to buy a new oil filter wrench."

Let me guess---the only work you have attempted to do is change your oil and filter yourself, right? grin.gif Stupid BMW wrench set me back more than $50! But how could I use channel locks on my BMW? Boy they must have seen me coming.

"

Nope. My last profession for 30 years as a GM Service Technician/ Shop Foreman/ Resident Computer Guru has left me with about 50K in tools. thumbsup.gif

Should I return to school and get another PhD in order to work on an RT?
Certainly not. Given the background you've outlined everything on the bike is easily within your grasp / reach. As a matter of a fact you'll probably find it too easy and no challenge / fun.
There's a special tool for removing the wheels for tire changes as well.

If you are referring to the 22 mm hex wrench for the front wheel: I bought a cheapo 3/8 drive 9/16 socket and found a 22mm nut at the local hardware store. Took them down to the local welder who welded them together. Total cost less than $12.

That`s good old American ingenuity at work. grin.gif

I used a nut and bolt. Tack welded them and use my socket on the bolt head. $4.50 thumbsup.gif

Good one thumbsup.gif

OK, then, what are you using for a spark plug puller? I have been prying them out with a 1/2" open-ended wrench wrapped in a rag but there must be a better way....

Do you mean what am I using to pull the plug boots off of the plug. confused.gif

If that`s what you are asking, I use my 12 inch needle noise pliers and a rag. I have a set with 3 different jaws and the 45 deg. pair work the best.

what are you using for a spark plug puller?
There is a plastic puller that should have came with the bike, but it is _rap. A&S Cycles (and maybe others?) sells a metal one that is much better.

I have been prying them out with a 1/2" open-ended wrench wrapped in a rag but there must be a better way....

I`m sure he is not talking about prying out spark plugs. dopeslap.gif

Nada, Zip, Zilch. thumbsup.gif The warranty can`t force you to have the dealer do your maintenance work. bncry.gif As long as you keep records and receipts they can`t claim a lack of maintenance. tongue.gif

The service work will speak for it`s self. You open anything that has a lack of service and you can see the difference. dopeslap.gif I have done and do all my own service on every veh. I have ever owned an own now. I have never had a mechanical warranty claim EVER. thumbsup.gif

I have never had a veh. that I own with an oil leak either. clap.gif Keep it serviced and yours will be the same. Neglect it and shame on you. dopeslap.gif

I have been prying them out with a 1/2" open-ended wrench wrapped in a rag but there must be a better way....

I`m sure he is not talking about prying out spark plugs. dopeslap.gif

Yeah, I pulled out the spark plug that way. It wouldn't go back in so I just glommed on a bunch of JB weld and stuck it back into the hole. thumbsup.gif

My 12GS didn't come with a plug wire puller. I used a standard screw driver to pry it out. I use a rag on the valve cover, and catch the lip of the spark plug wire cao with the tip and pry. It comes right out with zero damage.

Jim cool.gif

Archived