IGNORED

Boone Area Pit Stops

Jake

Hi all -

I'm in Boone at least once a year as my family has a place up there. For the lollygaggers amongst you, there are a few places worthy if you feel like putting down the kickstand. The easy first obligatory stop is to find the Mast General Store. The big one is in Boone, but the original shack is in Valle Crucis. Great mountain stuff, but even better is their selection of honey. I live in Orange Blossom Country here in Florida, so trust me that this is good stuff. Here is the Sourwood Honey I'm enjoying in my tea right now. Get some.

image_zps21acbb5f.jpg

Next up, a couple of places to eat.

A decent breakfast with a stunning view of Grandfather Mountain can be had at Grandview Restaurant. It's on Highway 105 in Banner Elk - 20 or so minutes from Boone. Can't miss it, bring cash.

Next up, just a little further west on 105 is some of the finest BBQ I've had in years. The locals are still hopping mad as the cheaper place (Pappy's) that used to be there was bought out, and they went upscale for us tourists. None of that matters because it's damned tasty stuff. That is Frontier Barbeque. Nice craft beer selection at the bar too - if you are walking home that is. Don't miss the ribs and the chicken. Get both sauces that they appropriately label "West" and "East" for their Carolina geographic origins.

Best for last, and it's in Blowing Rock if you find yourself heading down that way. Walking the town you will run into a number of quality but pricey eateries, and most are pretty good. The best restaurant in town if you want to spoil yourself requires a 5 minute jaunt from the center of town, and that is Bistro Roca. Fancy Rustic, delicious hearty food.

You really should be out riding though. If you have to pick one, go for the BBQ.

Hi all -

I'm in Boone at least once a year as my family has a place up there. For the lollygaggers amongst you, there are a few places worthy if you feel like putting down the kickstand.

Thank you Jake! I have been to the Mast store and you are right - it is a must stop. I look forward to trying out your other suggestions! :thumbsup:

Jake,

Have the 125th Anniv sticker from Valle Crucis store on my bags.

Own property on Beech Mountain and love the area.

We'll spend a majority of rose smelling time in the Banner Elk/Boone/Blowing Rock triangle so plan on trying some epicurian delights.

Thanks.

Show up and we're buying...

:wave:

Oh, may be tasty honey, but nothing beat Tupelo Honey.

Doesn't ever crystalize and brings a taste of the panhandle to many foods.

:lurk:

...nothing beat Tupelo Honey.

Must be good, 'cuz that's one of my favorite Van Morrison songs! Keep the light on for me my friend, Paula's Dad has his place at the very top of Seven Devils, so we're awfully close!

I also hope everyone has plans to ride 421 "The Snake" between Mountain City and South Holston lake. That road will be joyous during the week.

Jake,

Have the 125th Anniv sticker from Valle Crucis store on my bags.

Own property on Beech Mountain and love the area.

We'll spend a majority of rose smelling time in the Banner Elk/Boone/Blowing Rock triangle so plan on trying some epicurian delights.

Thanks.

Show up and we're buying...

:wave:

Oh, may be tasty honey, but nothing beat Tupelo Honey.

Doesn't ever crystalize and brings a taste of the panhandle to many foods.

:lurk:

We were thru the panhandle year before last and I bought some Tupelo honey and now I'm almost out!!! :dopeslap:

I keep bees and that is better than anything we have in S. Illinois for sure. :thumbsup:

Lineareagle

I've heard about Sourwood honey all the way up here in Ontario. It will have to go a long way to beat Manuka from New Zealand.

I'll definitely be picking some up for my morning coffee at the camp ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Timmy - I sprung for some Tupelo Honey during my Un-Un, and I must say it is mighty fine stuff. Still, I have to give the nod to the Sourwood - it just hits me in the right place.

Sadly, the Mast Store was out of Sourwood for the season, promising it's return for September. Sounds like enough reason to return then...

image_zps2c293b8c.jpg

Put yer jar away for 20 years, then come talk best.

:P

I might be spoiled getting it by the gallon at Honey Houses...

They were out of Sourwood earlier in the week also (in Valle Cruces)

Lone_RT_rider
Sadly, the Mast Store was out of Sourwood for the season, promising it's return for September. Sounds like enough reason to return then...

In!

Archived