IGNORED

Bob Quinn Celko

Nice n Easy Rider

This is probably best shared, when it is time, by Nice n Easy as they were riding buddies and he would have any details available. Funeral was to be today.

NCS

Nice n Easy Rider
This is probably best shared, when it is time, by Nice n Easy as they were riding buddies and he would have any details available. Funeral was to be today.

NCS

I will share some additional information shortly but I don't want to jump the gun and share anything that the family hasn't already heard and had time to cope with.

There's a nicely written obituary for Bob here.

Dang. I've never met QUINN, but enjoyed his posts. Wow, what a great loss. My condolenses to his friends and family.

Nice n Easy Rider

Hi Folks,

Below is a note that Bob's wife Janet asked me to pass along. As you'll see, she asks everyone, from her painful experience, to make sure they carry identification in several places. Janet wasn't notified of Bob's accident for several hours afterwards and, even then, only when she received a phone call telling her where the bike was towed and that there might be storage charges. Apparently the state trooper removed Bob's wallet (and ID) before he was air-lifted to the hospital and even the hospital didn't know who he was. They, for whatever reason, had him listed under his first and middle names.

Hopefully we can all learn from this horrible experience.

(Administrator: Please try to re-post without the links my computer sees to be inserting in Janet's note. Thanks.)

Dear BMW riders and others,

I have been overwhelmed by your outpourings of sympathy and condolences. You were able to know the Bob (Quinn) that I knew and I am happy for him that he found a place where he could be himself. I am also very appreciative of every one of you.

I was not happy when he started riding motorcycles, as I worked in health care for my entire career. I have seen the damage caused by them and could not get over that. But I knew he loved it, and would do it in spite of my feelings. So I kept my mouth shut. I should have ranted and raved. So, I don't mean to lecture or be a downer, but I feel so strongly that you need to know that your pleasure has ramifications far beyond you.

I feel like I need to give you some hints that I think could have made this event somewhat easier.

Have identification in several places on your body. Things get separated in an accident.

Have a burner cell. Cell phones blue-toothed into GPS or radios get smashed and there is no way of contact.

On all smart phones load the ICE (In Case of Emergency) app. I know you have been told to load ICE as a contact but the app is even better. It has places for contacts and health care information.

Take only from your wallet what you need to travel. Bob's wallet has disappeared and I have had to cancel all credit cards, just at a time when credit cards could come in handy.

Take your wife, daughter, husband, son, friend, etc. and show them the emergency room areas of your local (and this could be surrounding counties) hospitals. They will need to find them when they are under extreme stress.

Tell someone what to do with all the leftover motorcycle gear stored wherever you keep it.

Don't think that insurance money can replace you.

Treat each ride as if it could be your last. Tell them you love them

Oh yes, I guess you should know, that I am writing this at 4 AM after being awake most of the night. You see, it’s hard to sleep, when your heart is broken,

Sincerely,

Janet Celko

While it's good info, I found it most moving. I could see the tears on her face. My heart & prayers go out to her.

Oh, & that trooper was an inconsiderate ass. He should be reprimanded at the very least.

beemerman2k

Ms Celko, I am so heartbroken over the loss of your husband, and the overwhelming pain you are having to endure.

Thank you for reaching out to us, for educating us on the implications of our passion for riding. Thank you for doing your part to ensure other family will be spared some of the pain you are having to experience.

Again Janet, I just want to say how sorry we all are for your loss. I also wanted to thank you for allowing your husband back into riding motorcycles. If not, we would not of had the pleasure to meet Bob and get to sample his sense of humor. As trivial and cliche as this sounds, he was doing something he really loved.

Pat

Peter Parts

Hit home. Had to think about this quandary overnight since I have a very loving wife, many kids and grandkids.

I think we all can understand the sentiments of a spouse, parent, or child. What mature rider doesn't think about leaving behind loved ones and family dependents (in the best senses of the word)?

Sometimes it is unknown to our spouses what compromises well-meaning bikers really are making so as to be around for them. I can't speak for Quinn, but I am sure many of us ride with an additional element of care thinking of our loved ones.

Here's a suggestion: each time when throwing your leg over the saddle ask yourself, "Is there anything happening in my life at this moment that might hinder my safety on this scoot through emotion or distraction?"

Ben

i know for a fact that my wife feels the same way. She keeps it to herself. Mrs. Celko's pain is evident and obvious, but her common sense words during this awful time should be part of any MSF instruction course.

I didn't know your husband other than through this site. we all know he did not want his family to suffer and maybe all of us share some guilt in that regard.

Thank you for sharing your heart, your suggestions and your admonitions.

Archived