IGNORED

How many keys did you get with your 05 RT?

Mainuh

Hey Gang,

Here's a question to settle something I was told by the dealer. But everyone I've told about it says it sounds a little suspect. Here's the reader's digest version:

My buddy and I negotiated and bought identical R1200RT's the same day, from the same dealer, for the same cost. My bike was manufactured in 2/05 according to the plate under the pillion seat and the dealer called it a 2005 1/2. My buddies bike was about 150 numbers or so below mine on serial number and his bike is stored at another friend's so I can't say what month/year it was made for sure. But they said his was a 2005.

So, when we took delivery, long story short, he got 2 real keys and 1 plastic one, but I only got 1 real key and the plastic one. Did anyone here buy an 05 RT made 02/05 or later and get 2 real keys?

Just curious. They have ordered me another key and say I'm getting it at their cost of $39. But, if I found out different on the key story, I'd try to make them give it to me. They billed it as a "mid year cost cutting measure" by BMW. I just want to make sure that I'm not getting a snow job and they just lost the 2nd key on this bike and wanted me to buy it for them.

If it really is true, since we sat at the table together and negotiated the same deal on both bikes, it would have been nice for them to disclose when the sale was negotiated that one of the bikes would only come with 1 key which the list cost to replace is $100.

Don't get me wrong... everything else was great about the deal, and they were super nice, but as the bank robber laying on the ground in the Dirty Harry movie says to Clint: "I gots to know man".

Thanks in advance!

I negotiated three keys. No extra keys, no sale. I always ask for the extra keys after the deal is made. May be dirty pool but they can always say no and so can I.

"No ask, no get".

It's likely true. I bought one of the first '05 RT's available in our area and got two metal keys plus what has been referred to on this board as a "chocolate" key.

When I got my '06 RT it came with one metal and one chocolate only.

It is clear from some of the reports on this site at the time of the change over in policy from BMW that there were a few unscrupulous dealers who had pre-policy-change bikes that actually sold the 2nd key for 100% profit.

I'm not sure how you would determine whether a bike was part of the pre-policy-change run or not. An e-mail to BMW customer service might get you an answer. They've been fairly helpful when I've sent them questions.

I bought an R1200ST and received one "real" key and one plastic key. I was advised that BMW had just recently changed their policy in this regard and therefore provided only a plastic spare key rather than the metal one. So, based on what I was told, you probably weren't getting ripped. I don't know the precise date that this change in policy occured.

I don't know when my 12RT was manufactured (how can you tell?) but I bought it in 9/05 and it came with one metal and one "chocolate" key. I had to buy the second metal key for ... a lot.

By the way, I thought the dealer said these keys supposedly "encoded" somehow. Is that just for the alarm option? Anyway, if they are coded, how can the chocolate, plastic, key work? I can just sense this is a stupid question about to go off in my face.

--Name withheld on account of weak question

My RT was built 01/05 and I received two metal keys and one plastic one. My bike was a demo model that I bought in Oct 05, and it had the large BMW topcase on it but the key did not match the ignition! So the dealer ordered a new lock for the topcase to match the ignition, they tell me that the new lock will come with two keys! So when all is said and done I will have four metal keys!

I bought a demo '05 1200RT two weeks ago. Date of manufacture: 1/05. I got two metal keys and one plastic spare. I was told by the dealer that newer bikes only came with one metal key.

I got my RT last April and got two regular metal keys and one plastic key. The dealer did not indicate that this was abnomal or that I was getting more keys than was standard. Everytime I have bought a brand new vehicle whether it be a BMW motorcyle or car I have gotten at least two sets of proper keys. Anything less is BS. Before you sign the deal make sure the dealer doesn't screw you and short a set of keys. If you spend 15 to 20+ thousand on a bike it is NOT unreasonable to expect at least two proper keys to be included and not added on as extra. Anyway, that's my take on it. Also, the keys do have an embedded chip and it's not for the alarm. It's for the "immobilizer". This a circuit that allows the bike to start only when a key with the correct chip is used. If someone steals one of the new bikes it will not run without a key with the chip encoded for that bike. Most new cars also have this feature. My Dodge Magnum does.

My RT was built 01/05 and I received two metal keys and one plastic one. My bike was a demo model that I bought in Oct 05, and it had the large BMW topcase on it but the key did not match the ignition! So the dealer ordered a new lock for the topcase to match the ignition, they tell me that the new lock will come with two keys! So when all is said and done I will have four metal keys!

So everything I've heard so far so far makes it appear that bikes manufactured 01/05 got 2 keys and bikes 02/05 got 1 key (which is exactly what my dealer told me). Had I known anything about the key issue before making the deal, I certainly would have made 2 part of the deal, but it wasn't disclosed until the papers were passed, checks signed off, and frankly I never thought to ask... just assumed any new bike would come with 2-4 keys. My 03 K1200GT came with 2 real keys and 2 sawed off versions (but all metal and fully functional). I think that's one piece of feedback I will give BMW, that on an $18K bike, 1 working key is just not cool. I'll make sure anyone I know who's negotiating for a new bike gets 2-3 keys worked into the deal.

Thanks for the info gang! Guess I'll pay the $39 for an additional key. I didn't think the dealer was responsible, but just wanted to make sure. He did give me more in trade on my GT than I even thought I could get for an outright sale, so I can't complain overall.

Try a forum search for 'chocolate key' and my user name - wadham - you will find the original chocolate key thread with pictures.

Thanks, will take a look. I did do a search on keys before posting this, but didn't come up with anything.

Cheers!

I bought my 05 in Oct, onemetal amd one plastic. My jaw droped when I read 39.00 bucks for a key? Is there some kind of sensor chip moduale in it or something. The key and the tools kinda gave me the negitive jiggy with BMW.

I got the two metal ones with two alarm fobs. The dealer kept the plastic key as a back-up, with my knowledge.

Only reason I'm adding my two cents to this is that I haven't seen anyone else answer with this combination.

Also, the keys do have an embedded chip and it's not for the alarm. It's for the "immobilizer". This a circuit that allows the bike to start only when a key with the correct chip is used. If someone steals one of the new bikes it will not run without a key with the chip encoded for that bike. Most new cars also have this feature

Well, then, how does the chocolate key work? I mean, it's solid platic, isn't it? Where's the code kept?

-Eric

Well, then, how does the chocolate key work? I mean, it's solid platic, isn't it? Where's the code kept?

-Eric

Eric,

If you look closely at your plastic key, at the top there is a round area a little thicker than a nickel. The ignition enabler is in there, just like the real key. That's what the dealer told me and I just looked mine over and the top is plenty big to have a little chip in it. Isn't miniaturization wonderful?

1 real, 1 fake

Hey Gang,

The real question(s) here was 2 part, sorry if I didn't elaborate well enough on the original post:

1. for your 05 RT, what is the month year stamped on the tag under the passenger seat?

2. Based on successfully answering question 1, how many keys came with it (without incredible negotiation skills to have more added) ?

I'm pretty sure we have the answer, and it appears if the bike was made 01/05 or earlier, most got 2 real keys (without negotiations) and 1 plastic. If made in 02/05 or later, most seem to have gotten 1 real key and 1 plastic.

Those of you who had to buy a key, curious how much you were charged? I'll pay $39 to pick mine up Saturday.

You don't want to scramble the chips in each key by storing them together - same ring in the drawer, nope... it's a e-tech thing NOT recommended

Archived