IGNORED

In the Dark

GabeM

Just got back home from work, noticed that I had no low beam. So I drove with the high beam on, hope I did not blind anyone.

Can some one educate me?

Is there a single bulb for both the High and Low beam, and what should I replace it with. 96 R1100RT

Thanks from the dark side

russell_bynum

Single bulb with 2 filaments. It is a standard H4 bulb, so any auto parts store should have a selection of brands to choose from.

Replacement is pretty easy...just reach in, unplug, remove the rubber boot, release the little wire hook doohickey that holds the bulb in, and remove the bulb. Installation is the reverse of removal. smile.gif

There are alternative H4 globes available to give better output. Quite a variety to choose from with different gas inside etc and they do provide greater output.

As long as it is a H4 it will work OK so look around for alternatives before buying a standard all clear globe.

Remember not to touch the glass section of the new globe when removing from packet and installing. The fat/sweat from fingers can cause premature failure of the globe when it gets hot.

russell_bynum
I read another post that claimed that a certain power of bulb melted the housing, just exercising caution.

I've heard that too. I haven't personally seen it happen, but I believe that it does/can happen.

Standard wattage is 55/60 (55w low-beam 60w high-beam).

Until you fix it, just use the high beam -- crank the headlight elevation all the way down with the knob. I drove that way for a few weeks and didn't get any lo-hi flashes from oncoming traffic, so it seemed to work.

Mine was still good in my '98 r1100rt, but I replace it with an Sylvania silverstar H4 from Autozone for $20. Package actually says "H4 ST" up in right hand corner. I put on latex gloves while handling bulb and put a little dielectric grease on the three male prongs. It's darker than hell in there while trying to work, so I put on my headlamp (-available from REI, Campmor, Eastern Mountain Sports, etc), so I can see while I work. Also, I am thinking about getting a light harness with relay from Eastern Beaver- those two things alone would do a lot.

Thanks for the info.

The new bulb is in place got the silverstar.

Felt like a monkey, while holding the old bulb and trying extract my hand.. with my hand clenched it would not pass back out the way it went in, tight but do able.

clap.gif

Gabe,

Did you buy one or two? The previous owner of my bike gave me a little plastic box with foam cutouts to hold a spare of every bulb on the bike. I always carry a spare bulb and spare of my other bulbs. (since I've got "run-n-lites" front and back and an upgraded led/conventional combo brake light my bike uses 5, yes FIVE, 1157's so I carry two of those). For those of you who would want one of these boxes I saw them in Irv Seaver's parts room last week. I went up there to get parts my local dealer didn't have and was very impressed with their stock and they repeatedly told me how happy they are to ship. I recommend them.

And I owe the group test results from the 100w/90w bulbs I bought on Ebay last week. I haven't gotten around to putting them in yet but I have a very nice clampon ampmeter so you'll get amp comparisons...in fact, if anyone wants me to compare any other bulbs feel free to send them to me. (Doing things for others motivates me to get out and get it done). PM me for my address if you want any testing done while I have it apart.

Lastly, the previous owner put PIAA lights on the front of my bike. I don't really like them because they are an older variety that doesn't stay aligned very well. The new ones would be very nice and a guy on EBAY is selling some very nice light bars. The reason that I mention this is that the one time my dim light did go out I was able to drive home on the PIAAs. I'd hate to use the brights since blinding a cage and causing him to run into me would hurt me more than him.

--Jerry

Gabe,

Did you buy one or two? The previous owner of my bike gave me a little plastic box with foam cutouts to hold a spare of every bulb on the bike.

This is a good idea from Jerry. I have read on some forums that the US version of the Silverstar bulb can die prematurely (also true with some of the other higher wattage bulbs). So it is always good to carry an extra one since replacement is so easy. If you can't find any foam to protect it, just wrap it in small bubble-wrap inside a zip-lock bag and it should be protected adequately. Also note the response to wear gloves when replacing, or at least never touch the glass of the bulb with bare fingers.

Tom

Archived