IGNORED

2013 R1200RT

Don Hunter

Don Hunter

I really have no clue what this bike is selling for in California. I'll be getting the Factory lowered suspension if all goes well after the Demo next Wednesday. I'm 5'6 29 inseam so that's why I'm going this direction.

I know the 2014's are going to be water cooled so has that made people hold off making the 13's less desirable? I'm not trying to "steal" a bike, I just want to pay the fair market value for it at this time.

Thanks for any advice

Don

Guest Kakugo

When I bought my Hexhead at the end of July 2009, everybody and his uncle knew the Camhead was coming out next year. I managed to snatch a good deal: I ended up paying the bare-bone bike alone and everything else (ESA, traction control etc) came free of charge.

When it comes at haggling you have to tell the dealer (or his salesman) something along these lines "Listen, I really, really like this bike. However everybody knows a new model is coming out shortly, hence I am taking a big hit in depreciation shortly. Can't we work out a mutually beneficial agreement here?".

And here it depends on how desperate the dealer is to shift that bike. The one I bought mine from was obviously pretty desperate since he immediately proposed a 10% rebate. We shaved off an additional 2% plus free first service and it was a done deal. Had I not had a trade-in I would have probably had an even better deal.

He was making his $$ from your trade in cuz at 12%

off MSRP there ain't nothing left.

Guest Kakugo

Consider bikes here are considerably more expensive than in the US (taxes excluded): Husqvarna is presently trying to shift some of those unsold 11000 bikes they have by slashing 30% off tag price here in Old Europe.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don,

Hard to say since new vehicle pricing can be somewhat dynamic as you've noted.

A&S will likely be up front about what they can and can't negotiate on. It could be only the finance rate and accessories would be on the block.

Don Hunter

Well I tried to buy a Ducati from them and that didn't work out to well 1.5 yrs ago. I should have bought this r1200rt when I worked for BMW (Auto) as I would have got $750 back of invoice. Oh well ;)

I'm an Internet Director at an Infiniti store but this is apple and oranges. We have about 7.5-10% profit in our cars and bikes are most likely the same.

The sales guy Harrison is a nice guy. The art of a negoiation is to get what your negoiating on with both parties happy.

I'm coming from v Twin Ducs and inline 4's so this engine will be a new experience. I'm hoping I like it or the pricing in a non issue.

Some buyers may be looking for a 2013 "Camhead" to avoid the possible teething problems on a "Wethead". So it could cut both ways on getting a deal. Don't expect one on a '14 since the wethead GS models have sold very well indeed.

pete

Don Hunter
Some buyers may be looking for a 2013 "Camhead" to avoid the possible teething problems on a "Wethead". So it could cut both ways on getting a deal. Don't expect one on a '14 since the wethead GS models have sold very well indeed.

pete

Very true. I think with todays technology we don't see as many issies with first model years anymore due to the amout of testing they do prior to release.

I'm not a grind as a buyer and that may be due to I do ot daily for a living ;) lol

there are no deals to be had around here... BMW's MSRP is the price... but i got them to satisfy me with swag... and i refused to pay their "documentation" fees....

it's a nice bike you'll like it.... i'm enjoying my 2013 and to be honest didn't want a 2014 water-head for the same reasons i cancelled my order on the 2013 Triumph Trophy... first model year "issues"... every product has them....

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don

If you wait for a 2014, it looks like you can get it in Dazzle Camo. :rofl: at least based on the spy photos. Dazzle

Is this the true %? So a fully optioned RT 23K should allow about $2,750 off plus the new $750 MOA member discount! So, $3,500 is that the deal.

Ride Safe,

Robert

Will see how it all turns out Wednesday. Hopefully a ride on Thursday ;)

Keep us informed.

Ride Safe and good luck,

Robert

Is this the true %? So a fully optioned RT 23K should allow about $2,750 off plus the new $750 MOA member discount! So, $3,500 is that the deal.

Ride Safe,

Robert

Not if you want the dealer to stay in business.

Anyway, that was a while ago and with the Tiered Dealer program

I have no idea anymore.

Don Hunter

Rode the bike today and I liked the way the bike rode. The balance was very nice, turn in was surprising for a 600lb bike. My wife was comfortable on the bike and she liked not bumping helmets when stopping ;) Even though she said my shifting was "rough"

Coming from inline 4's and twin harley and Ducs this engine was different. The ride was short though, only 10 minutes that I did twice, one solt then with the wife. First gear seems long and the engine seems.... what's the best word?? I think different. I was wanting a little more pull, power.

We left the dealer as I explained I wasn't sure if this bike was for us? We went over to the Yamaha dealer again and the FJR was just too tall. Even if I could shave the seat down a few inches I don't think the bikes ergo's would work for me?

The last stop was the Harley dealer (wife likes em) and we rode the

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/road-glide-custom.html

I actually thought it rode and handled well for 800lbs. The brakes seemed like my Fatboy we had, none existent! My wife wasn't as comfortable on back, but we didn't have the proper rear seat but still, I don't think it woild be as nice as the BMW. And the Electra Glide may be the "cush" ride but at 900+ lbs is just not my thing.

Were going back for one more demo tomorrow on the BMW to see if I can look at all the positives this bike offers and get over this "different" engine ;)

Will see how it all turns out Wednesday. Hopefully a ride on Thursday ;)

Keep us informed.

Ride Safe and good luck,

Robert

cris nitro
Rode the bike today and I liked the way the bike rode. The balance was very nice, turn in was surprising for a 600lb bike. My wife was comfortable on the bike and she liked not bumping helmets when stopping ;) Even though she said my shifting was "rough"

Coming from inline 4's and twin harley and Ducs this engine was different. The ride was short though, only 10 minutes that I did twice, one solt then with the wife. First gear seems long and the engine seems.... what's the best word?? I think different. I was wanting a little more pull, power.

We left the dealer as I explained I wasn't sure if this bike was for us? We went over to the Yamaha dealer again and the FJR was just too tall. Even if I could shave the seat down a few inches I don't think the bikes ergo's would work for me?

I actually thought it rode and handled well for 800lbs. The brakes seemed like my Fatboy we had, none existent! My wife wasn't as comfortable on back, but we didn't have the proper rear seat but still, I don't think it woild be as nice as the BMW. And the Electra Glide may be the "cush" ride but at 900+ lbs is just not my thing.

Were going back for one more demo tomorrow on the BMW to see if I can look at all the positives this bike offers and get over this "different" engine ;)

I'll bet you would like the K1600.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don

You may be noticing the difference between 2 and 4 cylinders in the frame with the "different" comment. It is different. It isn't a Vtwin with its out of synch firing or a 4 with a, relatively, smoother firing order. The thing about the camhead engine is that it pulls from the starter button to the redline. No distinct pipey (coming on the cam) feel like on a 4. However, the worst bike to buy is the one you don't like or fit on. That said, force yourself to like and fit on the R12!!!!!!!

For shifting, I just barely bring the clutch into the slipping zone and shift in either direction. Don't disengage it completely. That may help with the helmet banging.

The first gear is long compared to other bikes also. Seems a bit longer than the R11RT as well.

Don Hunter

I know I would love the inline 6, especially if it's anything like their cars. I think even though they make a 29.5" seat, the mass of the bike may be too big for my 5'6 carcass. I workout and I'm in decent shape and strentgh but being short you don't have the leverage to move the bike or if you get put in aggressive lean angel at a stop sign. Again if it was just me, that would make the choice different.

Thank you

I'll bet you would like the K1600.

The 1200 really likes to rev - keep it above 3500rpm or so. I'd bet that 10 minute ride was mostly under 50 mph. At those speeds you will not even get out of fourth gear (or third). Sixth is reserved for steady cruising at 65+. I came to the RT from a four cylinder Yamaha, and it took me awhile to realize that riding around at 2000-3000rpm was not the way to go. The 1200 has plenty of pull, better response and I get better gas mileage if I keep the revs up.

More than other brands, BMW dealers encourage long test rides. Don't hesitate to test ride for a couple hours.

Don Hunter

I went back to the dealer today, wife couldn't make it which wasn't that important anyway.

Looked at the K1600, they had a pre owned and new one also. Sat on it and it felt find actually, didn't feel as big as the beast looks ;)

Harrison offered me for a spin on it but after we chatted awhile and I thought about what the bike would be for, I decided to not ride the K. I know I'd probably love the Engine but I/we just don't need that much bike. Maybe in 3-4 years and things in life are different and maybe a "big touring" bike will be the ticket.

Harrison and I ventured out for a farther ride on the R1200RT, freeway and a few cloverleaf on/off ramps and that made the difference. I've got to get use to the clutch but that's no biggie.

I'll pick her up next Wednesday ;)

Congrats, the new bike will be fine. As a new BMW, it takes quite a few thousand miles for it to settle in. The engine will only run better and smoother. The brakes will improve greatly after 3 to 500 miles. The handling is what its all about.

People ask me why a BMW? I ask them have you ever driven one?

I am on #3 BMW after twenty some years. Its a great bike!

I still have my RT and the girlfriend likes it more than my new R1200R, but I like the R. Its a little simpler, smaller lighter and still the same motor as the RT. One sweet machine.

David

The bike felt a lot better when we took a longer ride. The balance felt great and the handling was a nice surprise. I'm looking forward to getting miles on it. I will need to get use to stopping with this bike. For some reason when I took the demo's I put both feet down unlike just putting one down, usually my left foot. I think it's been so long since I've riden 2 up I just was being conservatice? lol

Price wise was about $1,000 off msrp. I'm good with the price, I have clients grind me daily so I'm pretty easy when I'm buying. ;)

Where I messed up is, I was working for BMW "Car division" until recently and I would have paid $750 back of invoice for being a BMW Employee.

Currently BMW is giving a 49L plus a tank bag or $1320 worth of BMW parts accessories. Two more days and I pick her up. I won't have time to take a decent ride as were headed to the A's baseball game Wednesday night.

Congrats, the new bike will be fine. As a new BMW, it takes quite a few thousand miles for it to settle in. The engine will only run better and smoother. The brakes will improve greatly after 3 to 500 miles. The handling is what its all about.

People ask me why a BMW? I ask them have you ever driven one?

I am on #3 BMW after twenty some years. Its a great bike!

I still have my RT and the girlfriend likes it more than my new R1200R, but I like the R. Its a little simpler, smaller lighter and still the same motor as the RT. One sweet machine.

David

Beemer_zps822e8542.jpg.html

Rode her home around 2:00 pm yesterday. Had to head out to Oakland to see the A's play so no time to get another ride in. I'm going to go out in a little while for a ride. The speed on this bike is very decptive. I looked down and I was doing 70 and felt like 50.

Beemer_zps822e8542.jpg

looks nice.

WRT speed, whatever you do, don't go K.

That 70 is 100 in 3rd w/plenty of redline left...

:lurk:

When we got there yesterday, my wife saw a nice pre-owned K seating there. She says, "wow" that is nice and the rear sear looks comfy ;) I sat on it and I'm flat footed on it. She says "why didn't we get this one" lol

As much as I wanted to try out the K1600 I knew I would love the engine but that's just too much bike for what we need, right now.

There's so many things I want to get for this bike, just having anixiety thinking about it ;)

Beemer_zps822e8542.jpg

looks nice.

WRT speed, whatever you do, don't go K.

That 70 is 100 in 3rd w/plenty of redline left...

:lurk:

Rode her home around 2:00 pm yesterday. Had to head out to Oakland to see the A's play so no time to get another ride in. I'm going to go out in a little while for a ride. The speed on this bike is very decptive. I looked down and I was doing 70 and felt like 50.

Sweet looking bike. The 09 I drove, I hit the rev limiter twice on the test drive because its so smooth.

Take your time, read the manual for break in. Don't be shy on loading the engine.

I would have skipped the game and gone riding.

Enjoy!

I think I've taken her to 5k on the tach. Where my challeges are so far is the Clutch and take off. I'm use to my Ducati and inline 4's where I just let clutch/throttle out pretty much at the same time. It seems I've got to give this bike a little more throttle prior to clutch release.

Another issue is the rear brake pedal arm, I need to buy that extension as there's not enough room for your foot.

Last night at about 6:00pm my wife and I tackled the garage, removing everything for both bikes to fit (pita, wife has stuff we don't use from 10 yrs ago!). We have a 2 and then a 1 garage that's seperate. The two car car holds are two seadoos and car so the single is storage and moto's

Foure hours later both bikes are sitting comfortably at the front of the garage.

Sweet looking bike. The 09 I drove, I hit the rev limiter twice on the test drive because its so smooth.

Take your time, read the manual for break in. Don't be shy on loading the engine.

I would have skipped the game and gone riding.

Enjoy!

Don, I think we are having very similar experiences (separated at birth, perhaps?), but on opposite coasts. I'm in Northern VA (just outside of DC), picked up my fluid '13 R12RT about a month ago, and am having an absolute blast -- 1,100 miles so far, and I work for a living! Did about 7 hours of saddle time yesterday (5.5 the day before), and could not possibly be happier. I also considered the 1600 but really didn't want something that big (no offense to those who love 'em; I know they have many charms... esp. attached to the right twist grip).

I too am coming from a Duc ('11 Multistrada S Touring went to make room for the RT) and still have a much-loved 848. I figured out on the test ride that the RT does not want you dumping the clutch, even in 3rd gear, and wants a bit more throttle fed in as you're easing the clutch out. Not a big deal, but something to bear in mind for potential test riders who are used to not needing too much finesse when in changing in the upper range; you get used to it pretty quickly.

All in all, and even with this being "early days" and all, I am just crazy about this bike -- can't get enough of its refined-yet-gutsy mile-eating good nature. Do keep an eye on the speedo, though; unlike the Ducati, this bike doesn't let you know how fast you're going until the peripheral scenery starts to blur, and you're reminded to glance at the gauges from time to time.

Enjoy yours (and be safe) in the West, I'll do my part in the East, and perhaps we'll pass one another somewhere in the middle one of these days.

That is too cool. I'm working until Tuesday then we're taking a ride, probably about a 3-4 hour journey one way then back the same day. Thursday we have some stuff to take care of at the home front.

The first time I downshifted from 4th to 3rd I chirped the rear tire and dirt tracked it a bit. I was like Ok... she doesn't like that ;) I'm a big RPM Rev matching Moto rider so I'll have to remember not on this bike. I ride my Duc to work so I'll just need to change my mindset with the Beemer ;)

The clutch reminds me of the Duc before I changed the gearing

I almost bought an 848 when I got the Monster but I wanted something more daily friendly. In my perfect world I'd like to get the BMW 1000RR for the track.

Enjoy yours :)

Don, I think we are having very similar experiences (separated at birth, perhaps?), but on opposite coasts. I'm in Northern VA (just outside of DC), picked up my fluid '13 R12RT about a month ago, and am having an absolute blast -- 1,100 miles so far, and I work for a living! Did about 7 hours of saddle time yesterday (5.5 the day before), and could not possibly be happier. I also considered the 1600 but really didn't want something that big (no offense to those who love 'em; I know they have many charms... esp. attached to the right twist grip).

I too am coming from a Duc ('11 Multistrada S Touring went to make room for the RT) and still have a much-loved 848. I figured out on the test ride that the RT does not want you dumping the clutch, even in 3rd gear, and wants a bit more throttle fed in as you're easing the clutch out. Not a big deal, but something to bear in mind for potential test riders who are used to not needing too much finesse when in changing in the upper range; you get used to it pretty quickly.

All in all, and even with this being "early days" and all, I am just crazy about this bike -- can't get enough of its refined-yet-gutsy mile-eating good nature. Do keep an eye on the speedo, though; unlike the Ducati, this bike doesn't let you know how fast you're going until the peripheral scenery starts to blur, and you're reminded to glance at the gauges from time to time.

Enjoy yours (and be safe) in the West, I'll do my part in the East, and perhaps we'll pass one another somewhere in the middle one of these days.

Wait, you mean the 848 is not a daily commuter bike?? No one told me!!!!!

(I'm often running late to work you see, and...)

Bought a used Tri-color magnesium with 4700 miles from my local dealer. Then one was put in eBay.

It is being farkled and will pick it up after the RA Rally.

Congrats to both of us.

Ride Safe,

Robert

Great, Congratulations!!

Bought a used Tri-color magnesium with 4700 miles from my local dealer. Then one was put in eBay.

It is being farkled and will pick it up after the RA Rally.

Congrats to both of us.

Ride Safe,

Robert

Ok. So last week I wasn't able to ride the bike too much. Wednesday we took about a 3 hr ride back and forth. I rode it the day before solo. Riding two up the bike doesn't feel much different. I just have to remember what Bike I'm on and especially with the wife with me. After the ride she said I was too rough and too fast?

I will admit I have to get smoother shifting and my take offs. I think there's a couple things going on, #1 I'm not use to two up and my wife wants to ride her own bike. Also I do find that I'm going at a pretty good clip,the bike is so smooth.I looked down at my tires and the "chicken" strip is pretty small.

I've got about 350 miles on it and it's feeling better every outing. I decided to take it to work the last few days so that will add about 60 miles a day. I want to get that 600 mile service done sooner than later.

I have found that I'm riding 90% of the time with my face shield open and the "windscreen" up above my head (doesn't take much at 5'6)

This is my first bike with a windshield and at night it seems strange as it's not as clear as I'm use to. When I do lower the windshield it seems so loud now lol

My plan is to get the new Schuberth pro helmets, especially after reading everything compared to the previous model. I am a little hesitant because of how much I like riding with the face shield open. I'm not a fan of open face helmets and if I want that open feel the modular Schuberth will give me that.

So for now, short rides as my next days off I 'm headed out of town.

Happy Riding

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, it's been over two years since I posted in this topic. I haven't been able to ride my bike since October 2013 due to a rare disease where I couldn't even walk.

I'm about 80% back to "normal" whatever that is lol Jumped on my Ducati monster last week to get my riding legs under me, felt good riding again. Today I took the Beemer out for about a 45 minute ride, all good. Got home, kickstand down, getting off bike and the bike rolled forward and tucked the kickstand. As we all know once they start going it's almost impossible to stop them. It was a gentle as possible, but scratched the left case and left head. I told myself I was going to get the protecters. It could have been worse, I could have been pinned under it.

My error as the driveway was at a slight downhill. I never leave a bike it gear when I get off but I guess if I would have had it in gear it wouldn't have rolled slightly. I sanded the hard case but it needs painted, Probably a nice sticker for now. The head, rubber center piece I sanded the marks off so you can't see anything. The actually head cover is pitted and nothing more I can do.

I tried to use the technique of putting your back against the seat, squatted but the bike was too much of an angle. Plus I felt there was a chance that I may get its past center and have it go down on the other side. No neighbors around, so the wife came to the rescue and we got her up.

Not how I expected the ride to end but overall I'm happy for the most part, been almost two years since I could ride.

Safe riding everyone.

I feel your pain Don. In May I was riding in Alabama along the Little River and came to a scenic overlook. When I pulled in I didn't pay attention to the gravel and my leg slipped out and I dropped my 2013 on the right side scarring the bag pretty well. I had valve cover protectors on so only they were scrapped. I wasn't hurt but I sure was pissed.

Similar to what happened to me when my 2012 was just a couple days old, except in my case it slid all the way down the concrete driveway! Ouch!!

Time to get the engine guards tomorrow. I think I'm going to get the BMW guards at A&S BMW.I've read good and bad things about the Wunderlich bars. The other choice is ZTechnik

Time to get the engine guards tomorrow. I think I'm going to get the BMW guards at A&S BMW.I've read good and bad things about the Wunderlich bars. The other choice is ZTechnik

I got mine from A & S - the bike came from there also - and, fortunately, already had them on when the bike took the spill!

I got he Ztechnik. What a PITA getting that big 8mm allen bolt in on the bottom. I didn't want to have to take the plastic all off but I had to pull it back farther then I wanted too.

The left side, oil line hole wasn't wanting to line up. I had to reach up and grab the oil line, pull it up and then try and line up the crash bar hole and get the allen started. Finally got it started but a simple install that looked like 30 minutes turned into 1:45!!

Got home, kickstand down, getting off bike and the bike rolled forward and tucked the kickstand. As we all know once they start going it's almost impossible to stop them. It was a gentle as possible, but scratched the left case and left head.

Since misery loves company - I got back on a bike after 15 years of recovering from a string of injuries. Picked up a new-to-me 2011 RT at a dealer and decided to take my daughter, who had driven me to the dealership, to lunch. Pulled into the parking lot for the restaurant and put the kickstand down. The engine died. [internal conversation in italics]. "Did I do that? Is the kick stand connected to the engine or did I clumsily hit the handlebar kill switch?"

My keen scientific mind decided to test the "kick stand connected to the engine" theory. I put the kickstand up and started the engine. Dropped the kickstand. Engine stops, but I also jiggled my right hand and possibly could have hit the kill switch. "OK Bozo, this time don't move your hand." Kick stand up, engine started, kickstand down – this time careful not to go anywhere near the kill switch. Engine stops. "Genius, sheer genius."

Older folks will remember the Yosemite Sam cartoon where he shoots his gun, then brings the gun to his lips and blows down the barrel. Bang, blow, bang, blow, bang, blow,. Somehow he gets out of sequence, As he points the gun he blows, then brings it to his lip and BANG!!!

As my daughter got out of the car I called her over to personally witness this miracle of BMW engineering. "Hey, watch this." Kickstand up, start bike. Kickstand down, engine stops. Kickstand up, start bike. Kickstand down, engine stops. Kickstand up, start bike. Step off bike FORGETTING TO PUT KICKSTAND DOWN! "F'ing IDIOT." Less than 1/2 mile on my new bike and it's lying on its side in the parking lot. I saw the final frame of that cartoon in my head and could not stop laughing at my own ineptitude.

When I was selling beemers, one of the things I did, esp w/returning riders, was to go to the local Community College andspend a lot of time in the parking lot.

Stop, foot down, signal, make a right, repeat, make a left, run loops etc. until the stop and dismount, get back on etc. becomes more ingrained.

Doesn't prevent mind farts but helped get the rust off and become familiar w/the interlock etc.

Glad you see the humor in it and live to ride another day.

Best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...
When I was selling beemers, one of the things I did, esp w/returning riders, was to go to the local Community College andspend a lot of time in the parking lot.

Stop, foot down, signal, make a right, repeat, make a left, run loops etc. until the stop and dismount, get back on etc. becomes more ingrained.

Doesn't prevent mind farts but helped get the rust off and become familiar w/the interlock etc.

Glad you see the humor in it and live to ride another day.

Best wishes.

Exactly what I'm planning to do this week, except I live in a mobile home park with a huge front parking lot that empty on the weekends. I just purchased a 2012 R1200RT Premium and haven't ridden in almost 30 years! :) I owned an 84 R650 new back in 85 and rode it for 3 years before having to sell it. I knew I wanted another 'BOXER' since I loved the balance of mine.

Need to get my legs and focus back before taking the road test and really don't feel comfortable riding on the highways until it all feels natural again.

Mine has the head protectors and highway pegs installed by the previous owner.

Heres a pic of my new to me Beemer.

20150919_114008_zpsnzkikg8b.jpg[/img]

20150919_114030_zps1jlgrig2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post an update. I took a class from a local motorcycle testing agent and got my license. I put about 500 miles on it in a few weeks, including a 200 mile day before i got a flat that was un-repairable. A 3 inch nail in the right edge o9f the rea tire and out the sidewall. UGH!

I just received a new set of Metzler z8's I'm going to try and install myself this weekend, but the weather is so crappy I doubt I'll get a chance to ride again until Spring.

Archived