IGNORED

God help me, I'm jonsein' for a 12GS...

Huzband

I don't know why, it just came over me this week.

I have always known all the possibilities, touring, sport touring, hooning the back roads of western NC, taking that obscure dirt or gravel road. It's not like I don't have experience in this genre. I had an 1150GS a while back. Only problem was it didn't handle off road like a 250 as I expected it would. My fault for having too high expectorations.

So here I am. Five years behind the fine fairing of a competent RT. It fits me. It suits me. I have it sorted, shocks & tires are perfect, but...

Clearly I need help, so I turn to you, the wise collective oracle. Advise me in your best manner, without bias or self interest.

I just hope your hourly rate is reasonable.

Well, I've already done this...

IMG_3368_10-L.jpg

So I know better. Sort of.

I actually mentioned before that, this stream crossing pic should have made it to the BMWST front cover. ;)

Pat

515-L.jpg

Pat

That's what did it, ever since then he knew we were having more fun. :)

I sure did have fun, me and Jim still talk about that ride! :thumbsup:

Pat

Actually being serious for a minute, (just one) if in the future i'm only allowed one nice bike, I may just go back to an RT. I'd pick up a cheap KLR and wail the snot out of it. (I know but the minute was up) :grin:

I think you may have already traveled this path though.

Pat

Matts_12GS
You're in cahoots with Matt aren't you?

Come on kid, one little ride won't hurt. Just twist throttle...

IMG00177-L.jpg

roadscholar

10 minutes before this thread started he was asking to borrow my GS under the ruse he wanted to check out the seat. :grin:

I loved everything about my RT.....except that fairing. I have no idea how you Florida guys can handle it down there. My lower body used to get way overheated on hot days.

Not to mention that I had taken my RT many places that it never should have been. Including a section of 3 water crossings in VA that were at least as deep as your pic above. It was dumb, but I kept thinking "It can't possibly get worse than what I have already gone through, right?". Anyway, I can't say it is a better bike, its just a better tool for the type of riding I prefer to do.

Its a shame you two bums (Matt & Danny) couldn't make it out to CO last summer to play. Would have been fun

b72c7c9ba95258b424739e79eec2e5f5.jpg

You're in cahoots with Matt aren't you?

Come on kid, one little ride won't hurt. Just twist throttle...

IMG00177-L.jpg

Actually, yours is the reason I haven't wanted one. That 2x12 you call a seat made it almost unrideable for me.

GS riding lowers your IQ.

GS riders scare away the wimmimnfolk.

GS riding creates a permanent layer of grime that bans you from respektibble folks.

Riding a GS will look like you couldn't afford an RT.

Or a grille...

:wave:

I thought your 1150 was a nice one.

Matts_12GS
Actually, yours is the reason I haven't wanted one. That 2x12 you call a seat made it almost unrideable for me.

Some folks like corbin seats, some don't

lawnchairboy

I know where all those pics were taken. Funny thing is, the snow pic I was on my RT. the alpine tunnel ledge pic, I was on the GS. With a new saddle....the GS bonding will be good. Someone from work looking at the RT this weekend.

GS riding lowers your IQ.

GS riding creates a permanent layer of grime that bans you from respektibble folks.

Riding a GS will look like you couldn't afford an RT.

Or a grille...

:wave:

I thought your 1150 was a nice one.

:rofl:

Someone from work looking at the RT this weekend.

If he decides he'd rather have a fast blue one, send him my way will ya. :grin:

I loved everything about my RT.....except that fairing. I have no idea how you Florida guys can handle it down there. My lower body used to get way overheated on hot days.

Its a shame you two bums (Matt & Danny) couldn't make it out to CO last summer to play. Would have been fun

Ditto about the fairing!

I wish I could have made it last year's UN. That is a fabulous shot, Keith!

Wait, you're supposed to be talking me out of this. :Cool:

Yeah, right! You come to a GS thread to ask us to talk you out of buying a GS? My friend ... you;ve already decided. You just haven't acted yet. :rofl:

I disagree! Since mounting my GS last August, I've had two experiences that never happened to me in the 10 years I rode my RT.

1. Sitting outside a Starbucks having a cup of coffee, because that's what we BMW riders do, one nice evening in Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA), my bike was parked between two custom HDs. We were sitting on the bench on the side walk, commenting on the attractive females walking between us and the motorcycles. Suddenly, one of them stopped, walked over to my GS, took a tour around it and was studying it in detail. She then looked up at us and said "Nice bike!" All three of us were stunned!

2. More recently, I was riding down Pacific Coast Highway in Huntington Beach, also on a fine day. I was stopped at a light when a group of attractive, young women dressed for the beach were crossing the street in the cross walk. One of them looked over at me and said "That's one bad ass motorcycle!" Once again, stunned, all I could manage was a thumb's up. Thank God I had my helmet on hiding my gray hair!

I'm keeping this bike!

That is a fabulous shot, Keith!

And the shot gives the view absolutely no justice what so ever. I think the most dangerous thing out there was getting caught looking at scenery. :grin:

roadscholar

178-L.jpg

198-L.jpg

The place is just too big to fit into a normal camera lens. Our resident pro photog had bailed on us earlier when things got a little slick and speedy (I don't blame him really) :) so I'm just gonna have to take him back sometime!

On a previous trip these are about the best I was able to come up with, but still don't capture the true scope of it.

059-XL.jpg

056-XL.jpg

065-XL.jpg

Man that reminds me, I still owe you guys a ride tale. :dopeslap::grin:

Ditto on the faring... Lack of air flow killed me as well, loved the RT, and would have kept it, but no room in the garge. Good luck with your quest

Not to mention that I had taken my RT many places that it never should have been. Including a section of 3 water crossings in VA that were at least as deep as your pic above. It was dumb, but I kept thinking "It can't possibly get worse than what I have already gone through, right?". Anyway, I can't say it is a better bike, its just a better tool for the type of riding I prefer to do.

I tried off-roading a bit with my RT. It's not the right tool for the job. Then again I don't ride off-road and at this point I can have only one bike. To match the storage on my RT with a topcase pushed the price of a GS(A) beyond what I paid for my RT, so, I guess I'll stick to roads for now, even if it looks like you guys are having too much fun. ;)

What color did you order? Spill the beans.

:clap:

red of course. He had to. Red is the proper color for a motorbike.

Black is beautiful! :thumbsup:

IMG_5868_zpsdc65c727.jpg

Five weeks or so after breaking bones the GS rides again! :thumbsup: Physical therapy at its best. ;)

IMG_5872_zps2f33403d.jpg

You're welcome Danny! :wave:

Pat

Glad to see you out & about, Pat.

Sat on a new one today. Unfortunately, it fit. And they're throwing in free bags with the 2013 GSA's. Matt, being the good friend that he is, offered to sell me his & he'd get a new one. What a pal. :/

I can really picture you on a Triple Black GSA! Or one better, the 90th anniversary special. :thumbsup:

Pat

All this talk of a new one is fun, but like I told Matt this afternoon, I really don't want a monthly payment again.

All this talk of a new one is fun, but like I told Matt this afternoon, I really don't want a monthly payment again.

Ain't that the truth? I was looked at my payout today...It's nice to see it getting less and less.

I can really picture you on a Triple Black GSA! Or one better, the 90th anniversary special. :thumbsup:

Pat

Or wait for the wethead version. Which reminds me, why isn't there a wethead section on this forum yet?

roadscholar

Or wait for the wethead version. Which reminds me, why isn't there a wethead section on this forum yet?

This is it, for now.

This is it, for now.

OK. I saw the MOA added a dedicated section. They did with the K16s too.

Firefight911
I don't know why, it just came over me this week.

Get over it!

P1020077-L.jpg

That'll be $125.

Oh, and I got your package the day before yesterday. Funny story goes with it as to why it took longer than it prolly should have. Something about me not living where you sent it, Google searches, and the new people who do live there found me. Top notch people.

You are not going to get any help from me. Blaine (Owner of BMW Grand Rapids) handed me the sheet for a wasserboxer GS he ordered with me in mind. Lowered with cruise... I hate getting the first year model of anything, but it does look good in that really dark grey...

Archived