IGNORED

Switching to HID

cali_beemer

Jack, if you don't want to be distracted by extraneous light out of the focus of the lens, I'll make damn sure I'm not riding behind you.

Into the darkness they go...

I have a feeling he might not like the 4 10w LEDs and my HID behind him...

I'm looking at more output for the GSA. :grin:

Jack, if you don't want to be distracted by extraneous light out of the focus of the lens, I'll make damn sure I'm not riding behind you.

Into the darkness they go...

I have a feeling he might not like the 4 10w LEDs and my HID behind him...

I'm looking at more output for the GSA. :grin:

I'd buy those LEDs off you if they don't stay on the RT...

Low beams go, I'm keeping the high for the GSA. It's all H7.

We might talk about your top case, though.

I still can't believe I'm having this conversation. :Cool:

We might talk about your top case, though.

I still can't believe I'm having this conversation. :Cool:

Call me later on, we'll work a deal

Here's my zwei pfenning ...

Like several other folks, I run the Osram 65w (incandescent) bulbs.

FWIW, 65W bulbs are illegal here for on-road purposes. 55W for low beams, 60W for high beams, max. Additionally, the extra heat generated by them runs the risk of warping nearby plastics. A small risk, I'm sure, but worth considering.

HID kits are also illegal.

Here's my zwei pfenning ...

In all of this positive feedback for HIDs I've yet to see anyone directly mention the QUALITY of the beam spread after the conversion (no surprise there, as usually this factor doesn't directly come up in these discussions at all).

Then let me be the first. The quality is phenomenal. There are no dull or bright spots, just a smooth, even distribution of light from left to right, top to bottom. Just more of it...

Let me be the second. The quality of the HID conversion I did on my R1100RT was top notch, way better than stock. It was fantastic at illuminating far up the right edge of the road while maintaining a perfect cutoff for oncoming vehicles. My ability to see improved immensely and I was never flashed by oncoming drivers in over 100,000 miles of operation.

I don't think people give BMW enough credit for their reflector and lenses they use for their bikes and cars. I don't think you can explain the cutoff in the beam pattern properly until you see it for yourself on a dark night in the middle of nowhere. Stock bulbs don't put out enough light to even see that cutoff. Once HID's are in there, you can see a perfect angled line of light and dark bouncing down the road in the distance. you can then adjust your headlight to move that line up or down so you can see everything on both sides of the road, but oncomming traffic is that blacked out no light area so they are never blinded.

Not a motorcycle, but here is a perfect example of what it looks like

17988d1129411252-elise-headlight-beam-pattern-pic-request-lightpattern.jpg

You can see the angled dark/light area over the drivers side headlight. All of the light is directed where you need it, not into oncomming traffic. It is a function of the reflector and angles cut into the headlight lense. BMW cars used to be sold here in the USA with terrible generic sealed beam headlights. They were pure garbage and threw light everywhere but where you needed it. The exact same car was sold in Europe with beautifully designed projecter beam headlights. Many owners (myself included) ended up finding and buying sets of European lights to replace the USA DOT mandated junk. The difference in lighting quality was amazing. Most companies don't seem to care about lighting, but BMW has always paid attention to those details.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Wait, what? OEM HID installations are legal, but aftermarket HID kits are illegal? Nationwide, or just Wisconsin?

cali_beemer

Wait, what? OEM HID installations are legal, but aftermarket HID kits are illegal? Nationwide, or just Wisconsin?

I believe the DMV (atleast in CA) book states modifications to the OEM equipment is illegal. The HID would only be legal if it was an OEM option to that particular vehicle. Its been my main hesitation on doing the mod. Im not worried about a fix it ticket, but more concerned about being in an accident, its a good place for an attorney to target.

According to all my looking into, it's a nationwide illegality because states use the national standards for lights. OEM HID's ok, aftermarket no-no, retrofit-hmmmm.

The simplest explanation is here, scroll down to lighting.

I believe the DMV (atleast in CA) book states modifications to the OEM equipment is illegal. The HID would only be legal if it was an OEM option to that particular vehicle. Its been my main hesitation on doing the mod. Im not worried about a fix it ticket, but more concerned about being in an accident, its a good place for an attorney to target.

Point taken.

However, lighting is a life or death consideration. Lawyers are not. Particularly on a motorcycle, my choice is better vision and visibility over California laws or Californian lawyers. YMMV.

Besides, most of the newer, high value vehicles out there are coming off the assembly lines with lights that absolutely blind me. All I'm asking for is an equal chance at survival in a world of cages, blind corners, and the occasional road-raging deer! ;)

Scott

I had to replace the low beam in my GS three times in the first year. I finally got tired of it and also missed the light output of the HID setup I had on my RT. I bought a kit from DDM Tuning, installed it, and have since completely forgot about it. The lighting is great, I never get flashed by oncoming traffic, and no CANBUS issues. I bought the 35W 5000K version. I would buy it again in a second.

The bulbs in the HID setup I had on my RT lasted over 100k miles with no issues. I'm hoping for the same with this. So far, so good.

I'm hoping that my night vision improves after cataract surgery next month; for the moment, I just try to avoid riding after dark. Is this the unit you were talking about?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I'm assuming this would be pretty much plug and play with a 1999 R1100 RT.

Is this the unit you were talking about?

Yup, that would work. The Hi/Low kits have a little solenoid built into the base of the bulb. When you hit the high beam, it fires the solenoid to move the focus point of the bulb. The low beam on my RT was so good (plus i had aux lights under the oil cooler) that I really never felt the need to run the high beam.

I'm hoping that my night vision improves after cataract surgery next month; for the moment, I just try to avoid riding after dark.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Selden. (I still have fond memories of chasing your "TupperHawk" through the backroads of GA/NC.)

Yup, that would work. The Hi/Low kits have a little solenoid built into the base of the bulb. When you hit the high beam, it fires the solenoid to move the focus point of the bulb. The low beam on my RT was so good (plus i had aux lights under the oil cooler) that I really never felt the need to run the high beam.

I'm just about ready to order the DDM 35W HID kit. The only real question is what temperature bulb? I'm leaning toward 4500K, but I am willing to listen to arguments. FWIW, I'm getting cataract surgery three weeks from now.

I'm just about ready to order the DDM 35W HID kit. The only real question is what temperature bulb? I'm leaning toward 4500K, but I am willing to listen to arguments. FWIW, I'm getting cataract surgery three weeks from now.

I had read that once you get above 4500K, the light becomes less "usable". Meaning that your eyes can see better with 4500K light than they can with lets say 6000K. I have never compared the two side by side. I know plenty of people running 6000K lights and think they are great. I think you would be pleased with anything in the 4500-6000K range.

What Keith said is really good, but know that daylight is 5500K. Based on that I went with 6K for the RT, & that's what I'll put in the GSA. But as he said, I haven't compared them side by side.

Maybe you could be the test mule, as it were, & get both. Assuming you could send one back of course.

What is an average shipping time from DDM? I didn't realize they were in China.

'couple of weeks. They do send you a USPS tracking number.

They are illegal in the USA. The NHTSA deems them illegal because the reflectors are designed for a different bulb. Changing the bulb type from that which the reflector is designed is not legal. Getting caught however is probably quite low. AFAIK hid lights must also be self leveling - they are on my car.

I don't think they are.

They have several store fronts in SoCal but apparently the suppler(s) of there HID offerings are China (no big surprise there).

cali_beemer

I ordered my kit from vvme and standard shipping is fed ex. I had mine in two business days.

My order on the 13th took 4 days to generate the ship email, and 2 days later (today) it is in San Diego. I'll be installing this weekend with any luck.

cali_beemer

I installed my kit a few nights ago. Took it out for the first time at night last night. Maybe its all the hype but they aren't as impressive as I figured they would be. Brighter? definitely....but pardon the pun, its not the night and day difference people seem to make it. Its a worthy upgrade for $30 which I paid but I wouldn't be paying more than that. Im not disappointed as its an improvement, just not to the level many seem to make it.

I installed my kit a few nights ago. Took it out for the first time at night last night. Maybe its all the hype but they aren't as impressive as I figured they would be. Brighter? definitely....but pardon the pun, its not the night and day difference people seem to make it. Its a worthy upgrade for $30 which I paid but I wouldn't be paying more than that. Im not disappointed as its an improvement, just not to the level many seem to make it.

I'm guessing some of the reason yours is not as dramatic is that the 1200 has pretty good lighting to start with. My R1100RT had very substandard lighting so the change was pretty remarkable.

Installed the DDM kit tonight. No problem with the cambus. Looks sweet. Cant wait to try them out at night. Tom

Looks like mine are lost:

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

June 22, 2013, 8:04 am

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128

Depart USPS Sort Facility

June 21, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

June 21, 2013, 1:29 am

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128

Processed Through Sort Facility

June 19, 2013, 12:02 pm

ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Processed Through Sort Facility

June 17, 2013, 6:17 pm

SUZHOU EMS, CHINA

Acceptance

June 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

CHINA

malcolmblalock

I thought the same, but they finally arrived. Have no idea why some arrive very quickly and some take a long time...

Mine arrived last week and just took a couple of weeks..if that.

Haven't installed them yet as I have to fix my wife's bike 1st, which my son crashed.

Why did he crash? He tried to keep up with the old man through the mountains.

Yep, we old farts still know a thing or two and experience can still beat faster reflexes.

They are illegal in the USA. The NHTSA deems them illegal because the reflectors are designed for a different bulb. Changing the bulb type from that which the reflector is designed is not legal.

I read the statute (boring) FMVSS 108 (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws-Regs) and actually missed that nugget.

So, let's see if this make sense to all of us. If you swap out the same bulb type - H7 for H7, H3 for H3, whatever - that would still be legal regardless whether the bulb is HID or not. The violation is if you swap an H7 for an H3 or some such silliness because the reflector was designed for a specific BULB TYPE (not for a specific BULB. That's some primo, legal, wiggle room there). A different bulb type would not allow the reflector to focus the light properly and as designed and thus cause issues with glare and blinding of other motorists plus not actually put the light where the operator wants it.

I feel a lot better now.

They are illegal in the USA. The NHTSA deems them illegal because the reflectors are designed for a different bulb. Changing the bulb type from that which the reflector is designed is not legal.

I read the statute (boring) FMVSS 108 (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws-Regs) and actually missed that nugget.

So, let's see if this make sense to all of us. If you swap out the same bulb type - H7 for H7, H3 for H3, whatever - that would still be legal regardless whether the bulb is HID or not. The violation is if you swap an H7 for an H3 or some such silliness because the reflector was designed for a specific BULB TYPE (not for a specific BULB. That's some primo, legal, wiggle room there). A different bulb type would not allow the reflector to focus the light properly and as designed and thus cause issues with glare and blinding of other motorists plus not actually put the light where the operator wants it.

I feel a lot better now.

H7 is a designation for a halogen bulb. The H stands for halogen. There is no H7 HID bulb. HID bulbs have a D designation - discharge - such as D2S.

Damn! My attempt at rules parsing failed! Well, I tried.

I'm still going to keep mine in the bike and I still plan to put them into every vehicle I own from now on. I figure if they aren't stopping people for "ape hangers", loud pipes and lane changes without signalling, my headlight mods aren't going to get me cited by Johnny Law.

My HID kit arrived last week. I had been thinking about installing it in August, but decided that I will have to remove so much stuff that this is a winter project. I'm hoping that tomorrow's cataract surgery will reduce the need for brighter light.

Plasterman

Not much to remove, Side faring and instrument surround. 15 min tops taking these off. Install takes around 1 hour, depending on your compulsion to detail.

Mine arrived Sat. so about 3 weeks to TX. Swapping the bulbs was a pain since both my connector housings were gone so the wires had to be connected then insulated. Right ballast went on top the cruise servo (?) and the left above the horn. I don't think I spent two hours on it, and I bet I could do another in one hour. Took a ride last night and love the light!

Matts_12GS
Install takes around 1 hour, depending on your compulsion to detail.

What a fantastic sentiment.

consider that stolen.

Surgery finished around 3:00 Monday afternoon, and while the right eye has not yet reached full acuity, there was an immediately noticeable difference in color perception. This pair of images captures the effect almost exactly:

Fountain.jpg

Left eye on July 29; until then, it looks like I'll cope fairly well with the right lens removed from my eyeglasses.

Install takes around 1 hour, depending on your compulsion to detail.

I'm borderline OCD, and will need at least a full day, preferably in more comfortable working temperatures than Atlanta in the summer.

Surgery finished around 3:00 Monday afternoon, and while the right eye has not yet reached full acuity, there was an immediately noticeable difference in color perception. This pair of images captures the effect almost exactly:

Fountain.jpg

Left eye on July 29; until then, it looks like I'll cope fairly well with the right lens removed from my eyeglasses.

I live in that town. :grin:

H7 is a designation for a halogen bulb. The H stands for halogen. There is no H7 HID bulb. HID bulbs have a D designation - discharge - such as D2S.

There may not be an OEM application which uses the H7 as a designation for an HID bulb but DDM labels this as an H7 replacement HID on the box. I placed them side-by-side and the location where light is emitted from the HID bulb is in exactly the same location as the filament coil on the halogen bulb. I see no reason the headlight reflector design should not work equally well with either.

My DDM kit arrived a few days ago; took about a week and a half. I ordered the 35W 4500K. I have other aux lights on the bike, so I was more interested in durability than anything else. Seems I have been replacing H7 halogen bulbs way too often. Anyway, I have not seen any mention in this thread about cutting a hole in that round cover on the back of the headlight housing (1200RT) to accommodate the vinyl bushing that holds the HID wiring to and from the ballast. Is there a better way? I'm going to start on this little project tonight.

Anyway, I have not seen any mention in this thread about cutting a hole in that round cover on the back of the headlight housing (1200RT) to accommodate the vinyl bushing that holds the HID wiring to and from the ballast. Is there a better way?
Nope. But it's no big deal. Use a spade bit the right size (specified in the directions). There's even a molded in circle in the center of the cover to help you get it right. Works fine, rubber grommet fits nice & tight and it's still weatherproof. If you ever pull the HID out you can put a piece of Gorilla duct tape over the hole to seal it off again.
Anyway, I have not seen any mention in this thread about cutting a hole in that round cover on the back of the headlight housing (1200RT) to accommodate the vinyl bushing that holds the HID wiring to and from the ballast. Is there a better way?
Nope. But it's no big deal. Use a spade bit the right size (specified in the directions). There's even a molded in circle in the center of the cover to help you get it right. Works fine, rubber grommet fits nice & tight and it's still weatherproof. If you ever pull the HID out you can put a piece of Gorilla duct tape over the hole to seal it off again.

+1.......just drill it out. If you ever want to go back to stock, new covers are under $6 at the dealership

Archived