IGNORED

Rode my buddy's FJR.

RTJohn

During a ride with friends, my buddy and I switched bikes. He has a 2013 FJR. I was impressed with his bike. Great engine. Silky smooth and very responsive. Good transmission. The handling was lacking though. Seemed very heavy. He liked the way my RT handled. He said all he had to do was "think about turning and the bike started leaning". The engine didn't impress him that much, lots of vibration compared to his water cooled 4. Very interesting ride.

Matts_12GS

My brother felt the same going from his ZZR1200 to my GS.

Neither of us felt compelled to switch afterwards, but it's a fun little exercise now and then.

I had a 2008 FJR and traded it on a new 2011 R1200RT. The FJR was quite smooth and very powerful. Lots of fun to ride for an hour. After that, not so much. I tried a Sargent seat and bar risers but just could never get comfortable on it for the long haul. The RT is much lighter, more nimble and far more comfortable. The lower power output is not an important factor for me and I like the feeling from the motor that I am riding a motorcycle. All of what I just said is just me. Your results may vary. But of all the sport-tourers, the FJR is best bargain by far. The newly revised version should be even more so.

Yes, it is good to ride another ride from time to time. Otherwise you'll just never know what you're missing.

pete

Everyone is different.

I have over 100,000 miles on RTs and GSs.....and at least that many on 2 FJRs.

The FJRs seem more stable to me on the road and in the twisties ..... and have virtually no maintenance.

I just bought my third FJR (2013).

If I am smart I won't let this one go.

Have fun!

chrisolson

I can also throw in an FJR observation .... when following Whip on his new machine through Sweeper Madness and Fish Lake, the handling seemed to be quite sufficient :Wink:

My dealer had a used 09 in their fleet that they gave me for the day while my GT was in for it's 6K service. The sales guy said he would be interested in my reaction to it after the day's use.

What a dog! Could not wait to get off the thing. Buzzy, get up and go wasn't there, kept wanting to shift into a sixth gear, which it sorely needs. It felt cheap in comparison to my GT or even my old RT and GS. There is a reason it's built to a price and it shows. Wasn't impressed at all. I don't think the mildly tweaked 13 would be much better in that regard.

Did you say 6k service?

I have been on my FJR many times while my BMWs have been in the shop.

Don't remember ever being on my BMWs when my FJR was in the shop.

Matter of fact don't remember my FJRs ever being in the shop.

ROTFL

Wow, I didn't know Yamaha built a perpetual machine. Maybe they should have spent more effort on making it a more exhilarating experience instead.

Seems like everyone's a little testy after a relaxing holiday weekend.

Bottom line is, enjoy your ride, and when you don't, find something else.

Based on my experience so far, my ideal bike has FJR ergos and K1300 motor/trans. The high rpm hp hit is nice, and the sound is all good. I like the K16 well enough, it just feels big to me. The torque and sounds are nice - like a mini-911.

Firefight911

Wow, and I didn't say one word.........

Yamaha, woo hoo!!

And now they nabbed Cyril Despres from KTM for their Dakar effort, too.

My next sport tourer will be the FJR though I do echo the above comments concerning the K1300GT. Well, at least all the way up until BMW had to buy it back lemon law. I miss the experience it gave me when it worked. I do still consider it to have been one of my favorites...when it worked which it didn't do often.

Oh, woops, that was more than one word.

Hope this means they will be building and selling us a cool street legal 450 cc something. :thumbsup:

Pat

Hope this means they will be building and selling us a cool street legal 450 cc something. :thumbsup:

Pat

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.......They already have it in the WR450F, they just need to put a plate on it from the factory.

Archived