IGNORED

A New England GS Ride!

TEWKS

Greetings all,

This is an adventure themed ride that I’ve been wanting to pull together for some time now. It's designed to take you off the beaten path and maybe break a sweat in between riding some of the lesser traveled roads in New Hampshire & Maine.

The ride will start at the Burger King on West St in Ashland NH and end in Bar Harbor ME. It will be approximately five hundred miles give or take, not including your mileage home from Bar Harbor. I'm estimating that a little less than half will be on gravel roads. The gravel sections of the route that I've been on in the past were all well maintained so it shouldn't be a difficult ride for even large adventure bikes.

Requirements

1) A dual sport or adventure motorcycle.

2) A tent & sleeping bag.

3) Hiking shoes/sneakers

4) Five days & four nights of your time

5) A good attitude and a sense of adventure.

Highlights of the ride

1) A quick warm up hike to the top of Rattlesnake Mountain Trail.

2) Lunch with the Secret BBQ Society.

3) Camping & cooking under the stars at Cupsuptic Campground.

4) A boat ride out to and a hike up Mount Kineo on Moosehead Lake.

5) A Lobster lunch at Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound.

6) A ride to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Arcadia NP.

7) A wade or swim at one of the most beautiful beaches in the State of Maine. (Sand Beach)

8) Night Life in Bar Harbor.

Dates for the ride will be

7/11/13....... Camping at Cupsuptic Campground

(http://cupsupticcampground.com/)

7/12/13...... Camping or lodging at historic Piston Farm.

(http://www.pittstonfarm.com/)

7/13/13...... Camping at Lilly Bay State park

(http://www.stateparks.com/lily_bay_state_park_in_maine.html)

7/14/13....... Hotel in downtown Bar Harbor

7/15/13....... Your route home

Meeting time at B/K is 8:00am on 7/11/13

GPS files will be available if I can figure out how to email them with my new computer.

I have room for an overnight at my place if you are traveling from anywhere south of Massachusetts.

Also don’t forget, lunch will be with available members of the Secret BBQ Society.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=834385#Post834385

Pat

mikeR1100R

If Georgi and I can arrange our schedules we may take you up on the overnight option at your place Pat. We won't be able to join you on your ride ( not the kind of terrain meant for a 250 Ninja) but would definitely meet you for BBQ. We will keep you posted.

Raincheck please?

Sounds fabulous :cry: Hate to miss it.

Do I remember a mention of an upstate ride in the same time frame? :(

Pat

First weekend of August in Adriondacks of NY.....not exactly the same dates and location ;) and I'm not so sure I can make that anyway. Your event sounds fabulous! I will prod you in the future to plan another. :)

Your event sounds fabulous! I will prod you in the future to plan another. :)

Thanks Kathy, if the weather cooperates and the moose are out and about it should be a great ride. Just so ya know, I prod rather easily! :grin:

Pat

I would love to get out and do this whole trip. However, my RT won't likely be a good vehicle for a dual sport ride (unless I want to spend $$$ to fix it afterwards). I need to do some chatting with my significant other before I commit.

So a hike meaning by foot? Map

Then meet a crew at the secret BBQ? After the BBQ you are off into the dirt trails again?

Worst case, I may just have to meet you and link up with other road jockies for a ride. My calendar is officially marked !!

I would love to get out and do this whole trip. However, my RT won't likely be a good vehicle for a dual sport ride (unless I want to spend $$$ to fix it afterwards).

Eddy, I meant to mention this but you could skip 99% of the dirt on this route and still have a great ride.

So a hike meaning by foot? Map

This one.

http://www.hikenewengland.com/RattlesnakeWestGen1.html

Then meet a crew at the secret BBQ? After the BBQ you are off into the dirt trails again?

Yup & yup! :grin: Actually, after lunch it would be mostly pavement to Cupsuptic campground.

Worst case, I may just have to meet you and link up with other road jockies for a ride. My calendar is officially marked !!

Great to hear, hope you can make at least some of it! :thumbsup:

Pat

Don't miss this ride.. We stayed a week at Gray Ghost camps on Moosehead lake in 2012.I have been wanting to go back in a different season to see what it looks like.

Pittston Farm is a gem,way out in the boonies.Sounds like a great ride.

Here are a couple of spoiler pics....(hope Pat doesn't mind) you may have to envision a little green into them... :rofl:

003-L.jpg

010-L.jpg

Overlooking Moosehead Lake from the Side of Mt Kineo

044-L.jpg

Random pic from the area

038-L.jpg

Thanks T! Very nice up there in the winter too! :thumbsup:

A few more. :thumbsup: Sorry if you've seen these before but I had to dumpster dive for them. :P

Sandwich Notch Rd.

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

Just north of Berlin NH on Success pond Rd or, just before you'll stuff yourself with BBQ on this upcoming ride! :grin:

100_2590-1.jpg

100_2591.jpg

100_2594.jpg

100_2596.jpg

The first nights campground is on the far side of this lake, actually it's the lake that connects to this lake. :dopeslap:

100_8686.jpg

Your ride out to the rock. Or you could rent a little boat and go at your own pace.

100_5456.jpg

Eddy, see it can be done! :grin:

IMG_2215.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Yum!

Picture093.jpg

Pat

Pat, I've been down much worse roads than that with my RT.

I also backpacked off Success Pond rd a while back in November. :thumbsup:

Get your spare ribs cookin'

head out to the rite aid

looking for Excedrin

or whatever is good for pain!

Oh Christ, I need to ride! :rofl:

Pat

Yeah, darlin'

Gonna fake it happens

Shake the meat in a spice embrace

Fire all of your grills at once

And relax into a comfy space

You're in trouble girl! :grin:

Pat

Since this CFIT or controlled flight into terrain is approaching the point of no return, let me continue. :)

I like smoke and brisket

Heavy cream with butter

Braising in the wind

And feeling I didn't blunder

Like a true baker's child

We had corn

Corn from the wild

The dough rose so high

I never want to fry

Browned to be mild

Browned to be mild

Sorry if I did any harm! :rofl:

Pat

Matts_12GS

Pat

For some there is therapy. for the rest of us, there are motorcycles.

Pat

For some there is therapy. for the rest of us, there are motorcycles.

Check out Danny's thread. ;)

Pat

Dirt roads ... YUK

Camping ... YUK

Que... YUM

I hope to meet you for the eats, Pat.

Tom

Would be great to see ya Tom! :thumbsup: Now, doing a little detective work leads me to believe you have some new iron I mean plastic and aluminum to show off? :Cool:

Pat

Now, doing a little detective work leads me to believe you have some new iron I mean plastic and aluminum to show off? :Cool:

The power of a simple paint job is amazing!

Now, doing a little detective work leads me to believe you have some new iron I mean plastic and aluminum to show off? :Cool:

Oh....ok, I thought you were selling in the classifieds things exclusively for the K1200. I'll shut up now and go put out a fire. :P

Pat

Oh....ok, I thought you were selling in the classifieds things exclusively for the K1200. I'll shut up now and go put out a fire. :P

You were right the first time Pat. I was referring to the cosmetic aspects of the purchase decision. In my case I was snagged by the RT "Anniversary" colors.

Tom

Awesome! I may have a future in police work. ;) That is the most beautiful RT to date, almost lured back myself. :dopeslap:

Pat

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have to cut this ride short so Thursday the 11th will still be the same start of the ride but I have to be home Friday night the 12th. So, I can only camp one night in Oquossoc.

Even though I believe this would be a great ride, I do understand the original plan is a huge commitment of time to ask of anybody. Maybe another time for the full tour.

Still going to be a good day of fire roads and the SBBQS still plans to meet Thursday afternoon if anyone can make that.

Also don’t forget, lunch will be with available members of the Secret BBQ Society.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=834385#Post834385

Pat

Hope you have a great albeit shorter ride. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate in the SBBQS fun this time around. Let's schedule another meeting on a weekend!

Eric

Yeah, knew I was rolling the dice with a BBQ Thursday but was hoping I might catch some on a vacation day or two. Better planning next time. Still got the KLR? You'd love the ride to the Q. :thumbsup:

Pat

I like dirt/gravel roads! (though I need to get better at them, especially sand!)

I love camping!

I love Que!

Oh I sooooooo wish I could get away from work to do this, but after taking leave to move and attend the UN I can't. Bummer! Perhaps next year, if you do this (or something like this) again.

BTW: Thanks for taking the time to put this together and making it available. Looks like a great event!

I like dirt/gravel roads!

I love camping!

I love Que!

Sorry, using a beaten to death phrase here but what the heck. Brother from another mother! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately or fortunately however one wants to look at it, my nine week vacation is coming to an end right smack dab in the middle of this planned ride. Still getting to salvage a bit of it is a good thing and I'm going to definitely try it again.

Pat

Wish I could join you but reality is getting in the way. I do still have the KLR but haven't ridden it in a year. Trying to get it together to clean it up and sell it. Have a great ride!

Eric

Wish I could join you but reality is getting in the way. I do still have the KLR but haven't ridden it in a year. Trying to get it together to clean it up and sell it. Have a great ride!

Eric

Eric, I'm going with my RT and planning to bypass the dirt.

James, not sure if you saw that I had to cut this one short so I will try it again for sure. :thumbsup:

Pat

Passed the Doctor's exam this morning, I'll be back to work on Saturday morning! I'm sitting here thinking to myself, self, why are you so damn excited? Oh yeah, ;) the GS is ready to rock and roll on some unpaved NH & ME roads in search of Q. Mother Nature please be nice to us! :wave:

Pat

Archived