IGNORED

Thinking About Moving to Florida

Francis

I've lived in New York City for over 30 years having moved here from my home in California. It's getting very expensive to live here now and the population has increased dramatically which adds to traffic pressure. I like the "smarts" of this city and how peoeple get on with things even with difficulties and weather. I work for myself so can live almost anywhere.

If I were to relocate out of NYC my primary criteria would be reasonable proximity to a decent airport, high speed internet and a community setting that had a physically and intellectually active population. Good health care is important; and I would also want a warmer climate than in the North East.

I've looked at statistics on and briefly visited a number of communities in Florida...but without spending enough time to get a real feeling for any one community.

I know we have a number of Florida residents on this board. What is your experience in living in Florida, advantages/disadvantages there, and what communities would you recommend that I think about?

Have you looked at North Carolina? The Raleigh-Durham area? Or maybe Ashville? These both get high marks on "best places to live" surveys. Just have the Chambers of Commerce send you their packages. Most people in this area speak fluent Yankee.

------

I've been a several times Florida resident since 1975, so it's starting to feel like home. One can't argue with the charms that NC offers - particularly if good riding is high on your list - bit it ain't exactly warm all year round up there.

If I had the freedom to live anywhere in Florida I would look real hard at the St. Augustine area, just south of the city on the coast. It still retains the charms of what Old Florida used to offer. Beautiful accessible beaches, active communities, and a proximity to an historic college town offering a nice balance of culture, vitality, and relaxation. The Jax airport is just up the road.

Downsides to Florida? Many. Mostly that it takes a hell of a long time to get out of here, particularly for us South Floridians. If road tripping is your pleasure, this isn't the greatest starting point. It's certainly cheaper than NYC, but not anywhere near, say, Columbus, OH in terms of cost of living. In NYC just about anything is at your beck and call, and the city can deliver it instantly to you. Not here. If it (whatever it is) is available, you have to find it, get there, and wait in line for it. One needs more patience than expected when living in some of Florida's more populated areas. The populace can be self centered, rude, and cranky, particularly in larger city areas. New Yorkers are much nicer! Going out to dinner is exponentially more satisfying in NYC, as an example.

If you are a homebody, Florida can be great. Do spend time kicking the tires of your intended location, and rent for a year first. The weather is wonderful, the air is clean, we have spectacular sunsets, and for many, it is worth the give-ups when relocating from "Up North".

Matts_12GS

Florida is a really varied place to choose an area to live in.

I was raised in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area which has enough population to have a lot of amenities, it's got a good international airport and reasonable activities. The median age is trending down to something like the mid 40s now from a high that was once in the low 60s about 20 years ago.

The miami area, (which to me means anything south of Port Saint Lucie and east of I95) is much more what you're used to up there, poor driving conditions, bad roads and New Yorkers!

Orlando in the middle of the state is a large city, great airport, lots to do with theme parks and attractions, but it's quite a transient population as tourists come and go, so it can be hard to get a feel for community there. The wage base is generally service oriented and traffic may be the worst of anyplace in the southeast other than Atlanta. Orlando also sits in a bowl of sorts so it seems cooler in winter and hotter in summer than the rest of the state.

The Villages/Ocala area is booming for retirees/empty nesters because it's built primarily for them. Small community feel, lots of things to do close by. About 2 hours to tampa or orlando's airport to fly in/out. Ironically, with a bunch of seniors having one last fling as they move there, it also is a leading community in FL for STDs. Good thing there are so many hospitals in the area.

Northeast and Northwest FL are by far my preferences, Tallahassee and points west has universities and some of the best beaches in the world, but it's a more rural, small town feel that many of us moved to the area to find.

For me, I came to Jacksonville with the military almost 30 years ago, and find that the access to the airport, museums, riding, and overall community feel are what i really wanted to find so I have stayed.

It's all subjective and dependent on what's important to you. Feel free to PM if you want to go into specific questions or details.

Having lived in FL from 2008-11 I can't recommend it. I spent most of my life in WI with the exception of 5 years in Phoenix in the 90s and the FL heat is brutal. Opening the front door in summer is like opening an oven door and you can't make it to the car without dripping sweat. In Phoenix you had to wear gloves to touch the steering wheel in summer but at least the perspiration can evaporate off your body.

If you can tolerate the climate my next complaint would be what seems to be a much smaller-than-average size middle class. There are obviously plenty of wealthy people enjoying no state income tax, but very generally there seems to be a much larger lower class. You see far more automobiles in poor repair and empty strips malls than I have ever seen anywhere else I've been. I travel a lot for work and dread trips to FL.

Been in Austin going on three years now and may never leave. It seems the recession skipped over Austin. Don't move here though. We have grown from 14th largest city to 11th largest since I arrived. :)

I've never been there but generally and stereotypically my first thoughts of FL are elderly drivers and high crime rates. Maybe it comes from watching too many episodes of "Cops".

A lot like CA without a state income tax.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The Space Coast has lots of bugs. We have an agreement...I hate them and they love me. :cry:

Florida - the only US State I never want to go to again (sorry Calvin). Heat, humidity, no hills to speak of...

Having lived in FL from 2008-11 I can't recommend it. I spent most of my life in WI with the exception of 5 years in Phoenix in the 90s and the FL heat is brutal. Opening the front door in summer is like opening an oven door and you can't make it to the car without dripping sweat. In Phoenix you had to wear gloves to touch the steering wheel in summer but at least the perspiration can evaporate off your body.

If you can tolerate the climate my next complaint would be what seems to be a much smaller-than-average size middle class. There are obviously plenty of wealthy people enjoying no state income tax, but very generally there seems to be a much larger lower class. You see far more automobiles in poor repair and empty strips malls than I have ever seen anywhere else I've been. I travel a lot for work and dread trips to FL.

Been in Austin going on three years now and may never leave. It seems the recession skipped over Austin. Don't move here though. We have grown from 14th largest city to 11th largest since I arrived. :)

40 yrs ago Tallahassee and Austin were vertirual twins wrt setting (state caqps/universities/etc.

Tallahassee is still a "small town", Austin is what it has become, a metropolis.

Different strokes.

"Florida" is a big place with 9-10 distinct regions.

All have pros and cons.

I'll take the beaches and breezes over ice/snow/frozemyarseoffsnowshovelincometax of more frigid climes...

Peter Parts

Great posts. Many insights. Nothing I can add except "+1."

Of course, being a "snowbird" in Florida is fine and the shortcomings are less irritating. But I'd still like to be someplace more bike-inviting. Good thing the bikes (and riders) I see on the south Florida roads are those I have no interest in joining with.

Some day I'll calculate a table showing the crossover time depending on where you start from and how severe is the winter. For example Toronto, you'd head for south Florida near the start of December and return end of March (if you can afford the supplementary out-of-country medical insurance). New Jersey might be mid-December till early March.

Anybody think we need a thread about moving to Ontario in the summer?

Ben

I live in Savannah, about 95 miles from the FL line and other than to enjoy mild winters I prefer more seasons than either Savannah or FL has to offer. Heat, humidity and bugs are given an all new meaning down here. To get to any good riding you have to travel a very long way. Amazing how many of the "younger" snowbirds travel with bikes though and riding through the winter months is enjoyable. JAX or St Augustine is absolutely as far south as I could handle but to each his own. NC, on the other hand sure does offer a lot, just to have heated gear 3 months of the year.

+1 what Quinn said.

He is closer to the coast in the RDU area but Winston Salem-Greensboro-High Point are located in the center of the state. The cost of living is decent, taxes- reasonable. great place to raise a family but also rated high in retirement too. 40 mins to the BRP, 3hrs to the coast. Overall NC is a really nice place to live..

Florida - the only US State I never want to go to again (sorry Calvin). Heat, humidity, no hills to speak of...

I have now been to 49 States (North Dakota has escaped me)..when it comes to spending the rest of my life Florida is last on my list.

I love my Florida friends, but I feel sorry for y'all.

....and I hate agreeing with Killer.

:dopeslap:

I have now been to 49 States (North Dakota has escaped me)..when it comes to spending the rest of my life Florida is last on my list.

S'okay. Not my favorite state either.

But I take great exception to the "California without state income tax" crack. At least we can still defend ourselves.

If you haven't lived in a humid climate for an extended period I would suggest you try it out to see if this is something you are OK with. I fled the Texas gulf coast when I retired, and one of the main reasons was to get away from the humidity.

Someone also mentioned bugs. I do remember experiencing those as well during visits to Florida, and it was not something I'd want to put up with on a regular basis.

I was born n raised in manhattan. So I understand your post

But believe me, you would Die. n florida. The heat n humidity

would kill you. Check out reno nv. Great weather. Great outdoors , lake tahoe an hour away great hiking

sking No humidity. If I did not have 2 grandkids id

be there. Best place I've ever lived

+2 to what Quinn said, check out the Carolinas. They are in the sweet spot weather wise (not too hot, at least in the mountain regions, and winters that would certainly seem tame to any New Yorker.) Also many areas are cosmopolitan enough to be livable for an ex-city person but without the crowds. I just moved to Asheville and it is a gem: funky and progressive attitude with beautiful surroundings (and the regional medical center for the area so well-equipped in that regard.) And the motorcycling in WNC and eastern Tennessee is legendary.

I'm not knocking Florida, I've lived there twice in my life and enjoyed it both times, the big skies and warm evenings are very nice (as is the great tax picture for retirees.) But even with the plus points, if you want to relocate to the southeast you can do better these days. If you do choose Florida stick to the coast where the weather is livable due to ocean air flow, it's still pretty humid there but inland is a steam bath.

S'okay. Not my favorite state either.

But I take great exception to the "California without state income tax" crack. At least we can still defend ourselves.

Good point, I hear everyone in FL is carrying.

In CA, compassion and empathy is used to deter criminals.

FL is nice to visit....... ;)

If you aren't too much of a Liberal, try the TX Hill Country...or, if you are a Liberal, Austin, TX :eek:.

If you choose Florida just be sure your car's turn signals can sustain long stretches of continuous use and that you're comfortable maintaining 45 mph in the left lane. :rofl:

All this commenting about the heat,

I've been to the NE/NY/NJVa/Md etc and by guppee

it gets freaking hot there too.

At least we invented AC, know we need it and it is everywhere.

"Up North" we keep hearing "it doesn't get hot enough, we don't need it" wrt AC.

I love the Carolina mountains and own property there.

Was going to retire there but we may hang around here for family.

Time will tell.

BTW, the heat seems to be all over tExas/AZ/NM/even high desert areas too.

And please don't say it is a "dry" heat.

So is my oven.

:grin:

Francis,

Still in same line of work?

Probably more clients in larger metro areas as opposed to our rural spaces.

This climate zone link shows ranges and variations.

Miami, for example has avg June/July/August temps 81/82/82,

Appalachicola 79/81/81, and NYC's Central Park 71/76/76.

2013 is the 500th anniversary of Ponce de Leon's "discovery" of La Florida. Come on down and see for yourself.

All this commenting about the heat,

I've been to the NE/NY/NJVa/Md etc and by guppee

it gets freaking hot there too.

At least we invented AC, know we need it and it is everywhere.

"Up North" we keep hearing "it doesn't get hot enough, we don't need it" wrt AC.

I love the Carolina mountains and own property there.

Was going to retire there but we may hang around here for family.

Time will tell.

BTW, the heat seems to be all over tExas/AZ/NM/even high desert areas too.

And please don't say it is a "dry" heat.

So is my oven.

:grin:

Francis,

Still in same line of work?

Probably more clients in larger metro areas as opposed to our rural spaces.

This climate zone link shows ranges and variations.

Miami, for example has avg June/July/August temps 81/82/82,

Appalachicola 79/81/81, and NYC's Central Park 71/76/76.

2013 is the 500th anniversary of Ponce de Leon's "discovery" of La Florida. Come on down and see for yourself.

The temperature is only one part of the equation. I lived for over 30 years on the very southern tip of the Texas gulf coast. This area is hot, but with a almost constant wind blowing in off the Gulf of Mexico it is also very humid. Now put the two together and you have an uncomfortable climate. In my current location, southwestern Utah, it definately can get hot, but with low humidity it remains comfortable.

I'll take comfortable everytime.

Correction to this:

Check out one Carolina... North Carolina that is... I live in SC and can't wait to leave. NC has more to offer, especially western NC... the Asheville area and surrounding towns are just great. SC, not so much (save for MAYBE Greenville).

Correction to this:

Check out one Carolina... North Carolina that is... I live in SC and can't wait to leave. NC has more to offer, especially western NC... the Asheville area and surrounding towns are just great. SC, not so much (save for MAYBE Greenville).

As a visitor, I liked Charleston SC.

Kind of hot though, daily afternoon T-storms cooled everything off to sweltering.

Like Mike, I've traveled to 49 states (only not been to SD), mostly during my Navy years. I've lived in Maryland. Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Hawaii, and Oklahoma and spent a ton of time in CA (though never officially lived there).

The folks who grew up in the dry areas out west tend to abhor humidity. Apparently, despite your growing up in CA, that ain't you with 30 years in NYC and you are considering FL. Being that you're in New York, you know Tim is right. The entire east coast gets heat & humidity together (well, I think it's not too bad in Maine although they do).

There are two significant differentiators that determine weather up and down the East coast:

1. Latitude: Determines the duration of summer and the duration AND harshness of winter

2. Altitude: Regardless of latitude, it's cooler and less humid at higher altitudes. Apparently 2500 ft is the key number to maintain cooler temps. However, high valleys can trap warm air.

Personally, I am looking to balance my seasons ... not completely eliminate any one. So, that said ... my eyes are fixed on:

- Asheville - Just there again this past weekend. What a fun town. Deals are available as the city struggled for a very long time (barely keeping it's head above water for decades by some tourism and an artist community) is now undergoing major reinvestment. Just can't say enough good things about the place. Food, nightlife AND phenominal riding. Downside? You'll need to drive a couple hours to get to a decent airport (Charlotte) or fly elsewhere first from Asheville (with limited schedules).

Charlotte - No altitude and quite humid and hot in summer. Comparitively mild winters (to NY). However, it's a ridiculously clean and very prosperous city with a major airport. It's situated slightly closer to the mountains than the beach but the mountains are under 2 hours distant. As I understand it is a low crime city. Culturally, not NYC by any stretch, but still lots going on.

- Nashville - Not as hot/humid as Charlotte, but way less so than anything FL has to offer. Again, a major airport, pretty much right by the mountains. I'll let others describe it better.

Of course, YMMV.

1. Latitude: Determines the duration of summer and the duration AND harshness of winter

2. Altitude: Regardless of latitude, it's cooler and less humid at higher altitudes. Apparently 2500 ft is the key number to maintain cooler temps. However, high valleys can trap warm air.

Of course, YMMV.

Francis, thought about the cities I like/love about WNC... in no particular order:

1. Highlands

2. Cashiers

3. Brevard

4. Asheville

5. Black Mountain

6. Hendersonville

7. Arden

8. Mars Hill

9. Sylva

10. Bryson City

11. Waynesville

12. Hot Springs

13. Boone

14. Blowing Rock

15. Banner Elk

16. Flat Rock

17. Woodfin/Weaverville area

18. Biltmore Village area (outside of Asheville, home of the new BMW dealer Eurosport).

Check any of these out and I am sure you will find someplace nice to relocate to.

LandonBlueRT

I live in The Villages at Lady Lake Florida about twenty miles south of Ocala. It is a fantastic place for retirement. My wife and I love it. We have lived here almost ten years. I can't imagine a better place to retire. It has been described as an adult Disney World. Go to TheVillages.com and take their tour.

would kill you. Check out reno nv. Great weather. Great outdoors , lake tahoe an hour away great hiking

One of my co-workers just retired last month. She was born in Nashville, and worked the last 15 years here in South Florida, save for a 2 year stint as a cycling guide (those things with pedals) in the Italian Alps. She moved straight to Reno, and says it's one of the best places on Earth. I've never been there, but sure am interested in a visit.

One of my co-workers just retired last month. She was born in Nashville, and worked the last 15 years here in South Florida, save for a 2 year stint as a cycling guide (those things with pedals) in the Italian Alps. She moved straight to Reno, and says it's one of the best places on Earth. I've never been there, but sure am interested in a visit.

Shh, let's keep Reno a secret. I bought a house there last August. My days in Ca are numbered.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Please keep them comming.

Ashville NC has a very good reputation but is several hours from a major airport. We have at least three members of this board living there.

I have been to Charlott but do not have enough experience to make a decision. It's an income tax state also. One of my friends moved there from NYC area and likes it quite a bit.

I have been to Reno many times and it is not a favorite. It's an old town trying to make a comeback, dependent on the gambling industry and hard hit by the recession. Local crime appears to be a problem.

My move out of NYC would not be a retirement move but rather a quality of life relocation. Lower cost of living, lower taxes, more sunshine more of the year and more living space for the money. My consulting work is done mostly via electronics with about 20-25% travel. I like to work and to travel. I also like living environments with people of all ages.

Further suggestions are most welcome.

You don't have to feel sorry for us Larry. There's more to life than motorcycling. I water skied this weekend and do it on Christmas and New years too. It's possible to have fun and make friends any where . That being said, I would love to move just to check out different places but it's expensive. Florida may not be the best place to be based from but it's not bad. I'd rather be in shorts and hot than freezing. If money was no object I would probably move every few years.

Ashville NC has a very good reputation but is several hours from a major airport.

It's about 90 minutes to Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP), which has connections to Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, and other hubs so you can get just about anywhere from there with usually no more than 1 stop. It's not like living next door to JFK, but not too bad.

Richard are you saying you prefer bikinis to parkas?

:rofl:

Sandals to snowshoes?

Airconditioning to icicles?

:P

Heck, it is 837 miles from Pensacola to Key West.

Ashville NC has a very good reputation but is several hours from a major airport.

It's about 90 minutes to Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP), which has connections to Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, and other hubs so you can get just about anywhere from there with usually no more than 1 stop. It's not like living next door to JFK, but not too bad.

I hear Greenville, SC is pretty nice as well, and the airport is there. Feedback?

- Scott

I hear Greenville, SC is pretty nice as well, and the airport is there. Feedback?

- Scott

Beware, there are a couple of nefarious characters that live in the area. :Cool:

FL is nice to visit....... ;)

If you aren't too much of a Liberal, try the TX Hill Country...or, if you are a Liberal, Austin, TX :eek:.

A conservative can do quite well in Austin. The libs serve up never-ending humor.

I do miss boating around Tampa.

- Scott

Beware, there are a couple of nefarious characters that live in the area. :Cool:

Not for much longer. Seriously.

And Greenville is only as nice as it's downtown area. Really the only appeal (well, that, and a great dealership in Touring Sport BMW). Outside of that, it's strip mall USA in all directions. Head 30 miles up HWY 25 to a change of pace, plus better roads.

After reading all these responses, I've about convienced myself that I need to move to the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Less than three hours to the beach and less than 3 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. With three major universities in the area, a diverse population brought in by bio and tech companies, and pretty much a year round riding season (a week off here or there for snow, rain, or heat); what more could you ask. Well, there's also a foodie and cultural emphasis, tree hugger and natural foods segment,a comic relief government, and the RDU international airport. Sweet tea and NC style barbacue are bonuses.

Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax, lower cost of living, and a slower pace of life. All of which become more important to me as I desolve into retirement.

-----

After reading all these responses, I've about convienced myself that I need to move to the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. Less than three hours to the beach and less than 3 hours to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. With three major universities in the area, a diverse population brought in by bio and tech companies, and pretty much a year round riding season (a week off here or there for snow, rain, or heat); what more could you ask. Well, there's also a foodie and cultural emphasis, tree hugger and natural foods segment,a comic relief government, and the RDU international airport. Sweet tea and NC style barbacue are bonuses.

Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax, lower cost of living, and a slower pace of life. All of which become more important to me as I desolve into retirement.

-----

Well, Tennessee was also on my list. However, I like being somewhere close to an Ocean, don't know why exactly (heck, I'm 3 miles away from a So. California beach I visit, maybe 2-3 times a year). North Carolina looked interesting, but South Carolina tax rates seem a heck of a lot better than N.C. (though "tax" is a hodgepodge of moving parts; depends what parts you focus on).

S.C. seemed to be a nice mix of weather, coastal influence, tax rates, etc. Plus, I like their attitude toward private arms ownership (bought my last handgun from a S.C. dealer).

S.C., Tennessee, Florida, maybe Texas, but none are anything like Southern California, and I've lived around the country enough to know the difference. But if I'm going to leave my lifetime home in California, and probably take my adult kids too, it's got to be the "right" place.

Oh, and yeah, riding in the South East would be a blast! I could get to anywhere from S.C. or Tennessee.

Good luck on the hunt.

Scott

I'm on my fourth year in Jacksonville (moved from MI). For you do get to ride year round down here, but the roads are pretty boring.

95 on the east and 75 on the west, and both are loaded with the worst exiled drivers from every other state in the nation, so you have to practice defensive driving skills.

Adjusting to the weather is a factor as stated previously. Imagine that nasty hot northern week, but for four months. When it rains, it doesn't cool down, just gets more humid. It doesn't cool down at night either. Makes ATGATT a challenge.

Only other place I'd consider would be Tennessee because it has no income tax

Tennessee does tax investment income and that can be significant to retirees. Since a retiree's income usually consists primarily of investment income, social security, and maybe a pension and neither TN nor NC tax SS then in my case it's pretty much a matter of whether I pay investment income tax to TN or NC, and since the rates are similar there's not much difference between them. If you have a lot of pension income then TN would be better but NC has a partial tax break for public pensions (whether from NC or not) and has rather low property taxes (also a big part of a retiree's tax picture) and relatively low insurance rates so that helps offset the difference. TN also has the highest sales tax rates in the nation so that goes into the mix as well. Bottom line, a state's overall tax burden/cost of living does not necessarily begin and end with the income tax rate alone. In Florida you can end up paying as much for home insurance as income tax in some other states, and so on.

In the end you have to pick where you want to live and then do the math. Much of the time it tends to even out somewhat, but even if not the way I see it it's false economy to try to save maybe a few $k per year to live somewhere other than you really want to.

I have always been especially fond of the Willamette Valley area of Oregon. Warm summers, mild winters. Not far from the mountains to the East and the ocean to West. The Corvallis area with the college there is very nice.

I would have retired there instead of Washington if there had not been an OR state income tax.

Y'all should check out the 10 reasons you should move to Texas thread ;)

Would be funny to hear "y'all" said with a British accent. :grin:

Kind of like a California guy saying "spot on!". Just incongruous.

Archived