IGNORED

Oil Consumption Question

Exploreinman

I've just purchased my first BMW ('05 R1200RT) and I'm riding the break-in as the owners manuals advises. I'm up to about 440 miles now and noticing some oil usage. Is this normal for the boxer engine?

Thanks for the help,

I've just purchased my first BMW ('05 R1200RT) and I'm riding the break-in as the owners manuals advises. I'm up to about 440 miles now and noticing some oil usage. Is this normal for the boxer engine?

Thanks for the help,

I ussually ride with a quart of oil inserted into oil filler hole....

just passed 7K and starting to notice a slight decline in oil consumption(which is still a lot of oil)

Thanks for the help,

seriously..do a search on the subject. even tho mine is an 04 rt and just turned 17k miles, my oil usage has really just begun to diminish. read up on break/wear-in and be prepared to use oil. a lot depends on how you ride and your "diligence" in wearing it in properly.

Mine currently has a little over 7k on it. It seems to go through the top half of the oil level window pretty fast then stops. I've been told by many that they won't actually stop until 20k. On the other hand if you want to loan your bike to Ed he will break it (in) in short order.

...a lot depends on how you ride and your "diligence" in wearing it in properly.

By how you ride are you imply if you 'ride like you stole it' you'll burn more oil?

By how you ride are you imply if you 'ride like you stole it' you'll burn more oil?
Initially more, in the long run less. I still use a little oil at 96K, it's the nature of the beast.
...a lot depends on how you ride and your "diligence" in wearing it in properly.

Not in the case of my bike. I broke it in per the book, then rode it hard. At 7800 miles, it uses almost no oil. I can ride it hard on trips or not and it does not affect oil useage at all.

Not in the case of my bike. I broke it in per the book, then rode it hard. At 7800 miles, it uses almost no oil. I can ride it hard on trips or not and it does not affect oil useage at all.

its to bad that every bike is different. if they were all the same we would live in a better world

I'm still in the break-in phase I guess (5,000km, or 3,000 miles). But, FWIT, my dealer told me to follow the recommended procedure for the first 600 miles (1,000 km) then "ride it hard" in order to minimize future oil consumption. I think my oil consumption in the last 1,500 km is quite a bit lower than in the 1st 3,500 km, but we'll see what the future holds!

As noted by others, there are quite a few earlier threads on this subject.

But one thing I don't remember being raised, at least recently, is anything about this:

My dealer told me that one common cause of excess oil usage is adding a little too much oil, which causes oil to be ejected out from the "breather."

If you run the engine fairly hard (using most of the rpm range), could this account for why the usage seems higher when the oil is in the top half of the window?

I didn't have time to press my dealer about the "breather" specifics, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure where it is, nor what it does. Obviously, I'm not what you'd call knowledgeable about piston engines.

Presumably the breather acts as sort of a relief valve for excess oil pressure?

Is there a filter on it that would be soaked if oil was being blown out through it? Otherwise, how would you know if this was happening?

And let me guess, you have to get all the tupperware off to check this out? eek.gif

Wrench wizards, enter and sign in, please. clap.gif

Not in the case of my bike. I broke it in per the book, then rode it hard. At 7800 miles, it uses almost no oil.

I can ride it hard on trips or not and it does not affect oil useage at all.

its to bad that every bike is different. if they were all the same we would live in a better world

by "how you ride" may/should have a bearing on how soon it wears in. by 10k my oil usage was way down..maybe a quart every 3,000mi. at 16k switched to syn oil and in 1,000mi have burned maybe 2oz's so far. i learned more about the imprtance of the wear-in as a new member of this forum. by then i had 1,000 "too easy" miles. really began workign on it via everyone's advice here and started seeing results a few thousand miles down the road. knowing what i know now...a new boxer wear-in would be faster. i'd start right at 600mi and go.

They might all be bad ones!

The overfilling problem has been discussed frequently here and yes it is a problem, I'm not familiar enough with the hex heads to tell you where to look, sorry.

I went into the dealer on Tuesday to buy oil for my R12ST, had a neat experience...

Guy comes up to help me and I say I need some oil. I tell him what model I have and he helps me grab the right kind. I then say I want 3 bottles so I don't have to come in again so soon. Concerned, he asked me the mileage and what it's burned so far. I tell him about a quart in 1400 miles.

He says I'm fine but then says (and i know i"m mangling it, but it was such a *moment*)

"You tell anyone who asks that the hispanic from England but no british accent who's really columbian told you that if the bike doesn't move when you twist the throttle, shift down."

The guy reminded me of Antonio Banderas. Heh. Another thanks to San Jose BMW for a great ownership experience. ( so far)

i broke 1200 in by book, waited till over 1000 before i got on it hard, after 9000mi have added no oil between oil changes, guess every 1200 is different, i do ride aggresive and fast.

Archived