IGNORED

City System Caselids - Opinions?

loflyby

A freind of mine is thinking about a set of Systemcases for his R1150RS. He is trying to decide whether he wants to purchase the systemcases w/ the City lid option, or if he wants to just go ahead w/ the normal case lids.

I thought that I remembered reading that the city lids were prone to leaking since they did not have the rigidity that is found in the standard lids.... but I can't seem to find any references here to support that memory.

So - to all that have the city case lids: Do they leak? How do you like them otherwise? If you were purchasing systemcases (new) again... would you get the City or the Standard?

Thanks for the help...

- Jeff

I have both, and they seem equally ridgid. I use the City Lids for commuting, and use Standard for travel. I'm usually traveling when I'm in rain, so I'm not certain if the City Lids leak. I'm pretty certain I've washed the cases with City Lids on them, and don't remember any water inside.

I got Standards to start with, and picked up the City Lids later from Hammersleys - I don't think they were all that expensive (for a BMW part smile.gif ) and they're easy to change back and forth.

The City Lids are not a durable as the regular lids--not as much meat around the hinge area and will crack if you'r not real careful about stressing them.

Guess how I know that ? bncry.gif

I also have both. I use the Citylids 95% of the time. There big enough for commuting and short trips and use the larger ones for extended trips. I like the narrower rear profile much better.

When I got my R1150R a year ago, I purchased the full size bags and a set of city lids. I have the city lids on almost permanent. I put the stock lids on only for my long riding vacation (two weeks), once a year. For a 5 day "weekend" I manage with the city lids and a good size tank bag. I never had any leaking problems.

Also have both. In LA, City Lids 100% of the time. Love'em. Last years rains gave them a good workout and and unfortunately, one leaked but only under extreme duress. Had to "push" them closed as they didn't seat as well as stock set. Also, different length hinge screws needed as stock section is thicker.

In Sacramento stock lids 100% of the time since I walk to work and ride in God's country on the weekends. grin.gif

thumbsup.gif

In the DC area, where splitting's not a consideration, I'd stay with the stock lids. Here in SoCal, my City Lids are on almost 100% of the time.

HTH,

M

I don't know why but of the dozens of RT-Ps w/ the city lids I've had experience with, none of the city lids seem to fit or close correctly. There always seems top be a gap either at the front or at the rear of the lid. I've never had a problem with either of the two regular RTs I've owned with the standard lids but all of the RT-Ps w/ the city lids I've seen seem to leak.

ShovelStrokeEd

I swap mine in and out on my 1100S all the time and have never noticed a problem except the one time I stuffed my one piece Roadcrafter into the right side case. Took awhile to get things just right so the lid latched, I wouldn't dignify it by calling it closed.

If you have too much crap in there you will distort the lid. Could be the case with the RT-Ps as the riders shed there heavy jacket once the morning cool has burned off.

if purchase city lids only how do they attach? assuming the hinges are not meant to be played with on a regular basis.

You drill out the rivets on the hinges and replace them with screws and nuts. (Or new rivets from your BMW dealer, if you're so inclined). The overside case lids come with a kit for doing this, but there's nothing particularly exotic about the screws and nuts - you should be able to get something that works at the local hardware store. The screws and nuts might be available from BMW separately, but offhand I can't find them on the online parts fiches.

Step 1: Disconnect the safety strap and using a SMALL, sharp bit, carefully drill out the rivets holding the regular lids in place. (You do not need to drill out the rivets holding the hinges to the inner bag.)

Step 2: Measure the inside diameter of the holes. (You want the bolts to fit very tight). Go to a good hardware store and buy some stainless bolts, stainless washers and nylock nuts. (Get a few extras of each <DAMHIKT> dopeslap.gif )

Step 3: Mount the City Lids to the hinges using the new bolts, nuts & washers. (FWIW, I put the rounded head of the bolts on the inside of the case in order to prevent snagging clothes, bags, etc.)

Step 4: Once the nuts/bolts were snugged up, I took a Dremel cut off blade and eliminated any significant amount of thread protruding below the nut. (Just looks neater to me.)

Once this is done, you should be able to swap the regular lids for the City Lids in about 20 minutes or less (total).

There also are some "Klugler Klamps" or some such thing which allow for quicker swaps but I don't have a link for 'em. confused.gif

so you install identical new hardware on the old touring lids. to swap just detach and keep nuts/bolts with it's new lid partner. i can do that. been thinking of smaller lids for all riding except overnighters. thanks for the info.

also, are the city lids bmw oem or do we have some choices?

ShovelStrokeEd

If your not all anal about maintaing metric fasteners all through the bike, 8-32 works just fine. 8-32x1.25" ss button head screws, get some nylon flat washeres to help with the sealing, mylock nuts are a must. I put the nuts inside the bags, better securith and I use bag liners almost all the time anyway. If you are able to source them, acorn nuts solve all the snag problem but are not as secure as the nylocks. I mostly drag both bag liners into the hotel at night anyway. Rest of the time, there is only a rain suit in there.

so you install identical new hardware on the old touring lids. to swap just detach and keep nuts/bolts with it's new lid partner. i can do that.

Not quite. The "hardware" (hinges) stays on the bag side. To swap lids, undo the bolts you've installed on the lid, releasing the lid from the hinge (which is still affixed to the bag). Reattach the other lid, and you're off.

The Kugler Klamp is a piece of bar stock that's been drilled and tapped to match the hinge. Not having to mess with the nuts makes it a little easier to swap the lids over, and I suppose the bar stock adds some strength the hinge area of the lid.

Oh- and the lid strap is permanently affixed to the bag, and attached to the lid via a quick-release snap. Just unsnap before removing the lid, and snap it back on to the new lid.

I don't know why but of the dozens of RT-Ps w/ the city lids I've had experience with, none of the city lids seem to fit or close correctly. There always seems top be a gap either at the front or at the rear of the lid. I've never had a problem with either of the two regular RTs I've owned with the standard lids but all of the RT-Ps w/ the city lids I've seen seem to leak.

ditto....

Archived