IGNORED

index finger and thumb going numb

Boxer Boy

When riding my 1150 rt my index finger and thumb begin to go numb after 30 minutes or so. Does anyone else have this problem and/or found a fix. I've tried gloves, lightening my grip and have placed my finger on the brake handle and throttled with the rest.

Try different gloves? That works for some folks.

Read about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Pinched Nerves.

Maybe try a Crampbuster

I once asked my doctor why this or that and he replied, "Kathy, you are simply getting older. Welcome to the rest of your life and what that feels like".

The fact that you've tried gloves, your grip, etc....perhaps you need to talk to your doctor?

Kathy may be on to something. I hate to admit it, but as relaxed as I am on the bars, my hands constantly go to sleep. When commuting, I'm often taking advantage of red lights to shake my hands & encourage circulation.

Oh, gloves don't change my situation, & I've been tested for CTS. Nothing there.

Thanks for the tips. Thank goodness for the throttle meister. When on flat roads that helps a lot.

Qwi gloves claim to help.

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com./

I like the Grip Buddies to increase the circumference of the grips and give me enough traction to not need to clamp down on them.

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Best advise I got on this forum was to keep a finger extended onto the brake lever. That way you won't be able to keep a tight grip on the handlebar while riding.

Hope some of this helps.

-----

Oldironken

I have noticed the same thing from time to time. I realized i was gripping too tight, after addressing that i have to relax my forearms and shoulders too. My sitting posture plays into it as well.

hand_cts_open_anat02.jpg

You are either putting too much weight/pressure on the nerve, or something is restricting it.

Pressure/weight is grip & position, restriction most likely glove.

I've had a degloving amputation of R ring finger.

It was reconstructed, nerve moved there from middle finger (see pic).

Ouch, way too sensitive.

Nerve removed ( I had pulled the original nerve out of finger).

It has regenerated (we think) and sensitivity is there (2 pt discrimination, hot/cold) but due to the traume (stretching/pulling/cutting etc) my R hand can go numb pretty quickly.

I can also feel on one finger if you touch the other.

:P

This affects my entire R arm/shoulder.

I try to avoid weight/pressure, work on ergos, move fingers and hand frequently.

There really isn't anything to do, IMO, except change what you are doing to produce the outcome.

Good luck.

Well, cruise control is a blessing, at times.

As someone who had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists almost a decade ago, (And should have had it done a decade earlier), my advice would be to try sleeping with wrist braces on. Use whatever relieves the pressure on your palms while riding, (Gel gloves, grip puppies etc).

But the thing I wish I had known sooner........Don't be afraid to have the surgery. My hands were pretty far gone, but they were both back to 90+% in 6 months, and the last 10 years has been much, much better than the 20 before that.

As Kathy aptly notes its likely just your age as the cause and you've gotten all the std advice re parts that can help.

Word to the wise- be darn sure its not something more fundamental that only the type of things your doc can do would easily reveal. Get a periodic physical exam if you haven't had one lately.

FWIW, I use large Crampbusters on BOTH grips so my wrist area takes more of the load and I can relax my grip. (Also Barkbusters on all my touring bikes to keep finger tips warm at under 35 degrees).

Which hand? (Or both?) I mostly have had trouble with my throttle hand.

Suggestions:

• Talk to your Dr.
  • Do you have other occupational or health risk factors?
  • How hard is it to turn the throttle?
  • Make sure the throttle assembly isn't binding or worn. If you're not comfortable inspecting it, take it to a mechanic. I had a worn throttle/grip assembly on a K bike rebuilt. What a difference!
  • Board member Peter Parts has a document about using a throttle counter-force spring.
  • Grab-on grip covers (they're not neoprene). They have some give without being mushy. Also, increasing the diameter of the grip: 1. gives you better leverage and 2. reduces the strain needed to grip.
  • If the grip wrap is too soft, or slips on the throttle, it may cause you to increase your grip force.
  • Gloves with padding or gel inserts in the palms. BUT if your gloves are too tight fitting, they can impair circulation.
  • Cruise control (not so good if you ride in traffic a lot)
  • Make sure your jacket (if you wear one) isn't binding or tight anywhere between your shoulder (under arm) and wrist.

Just reinforcing some points made above. Had the same problem and upgraded one size in the same glove brand and got the Beemer Buddy Grips. Adios problem.

ElevenFifty

+1 on the Cramp Buster/Throttle Rocker approach. It takes a bit of getting used to but you can ride all day with a very relaxed right hand just rested on the plastic... They're a $10 solution so try one. I speak with some personal knowledge of carpal conditions as my right hand got so bad that I required a 4 hour reconstructive surgery involving multiple incisions, some tendon transfers and 6 months of weekly PT.

A little tip ... the stock wrist rest will slip a bit on well worn throttle grips. Line the Throttle Rocker with a piece of adhesive velcro ... the barb side ... and the rocker will stay where you put it.

Another little tip ... if you are in aggressive mode in the twisties, you can just spin the rocker out of the way.

Archived