IGNORED

How to change final drive on hexheads

tpanhuis

I suppose you know that you're not suppose to have to...

You have to tip the drive over and pour it out the fill hole. Or siphon / pump it out.

Remove the rear wheel. Pull the rear brake caliper. Remove the ABS sensor and wire from the drive. Loosen the plug.

Put a pan under it. Remove the paralever nut and bolt.

Work the drive down and pull the plug. Use synth. 75W90 gear oil. Put it in reverse and back up until your diff is full and wash your hands before dinner. eek.gif

Remove the rear wheel. Pull the rear brake caliper. Remove the ABS sensor and wire from the drive. Loosen the plug.

Put a pan under it. Remove the paralever nut and bolt.

Work the drive down and pull the plug. Use synth. 75W90 gear oil. Put it in reverse and back up until your diff is full and wash your hands before dinner. eek.gif

There is no full mark. The plug on the back is for draining and the hole for the ABS sensor is used to refill. Capacity is 0.23l . It is pretty simple and you may as well lube the rear spline while your in there. You do have to kind of guide the drive shaft back on to the spline. Also a little care is recommended during disassembly to make sure the drive shaft comes off of the final drive and not at the front or it's an SOB to get back on at that end (at least on the GS it is).

anyone have any thoughts on siphoning/pumping the gear oil out after a warm up. I realize this will not drain the system completely., but most of the material will still be in suspension. one could do this one or two times to get a complete flush at a fraction of the time of a disassy.

anyone have any thoughts on siphoning/pumping the gear oil out after a warm up. I realize this will not drain the system completely., but most of the material will still be in suspension. one could do this one or two times to get a complete flush at a fraction of the time of a disassy.

You don't get it, do you?

The drain plug was intentionally placed to force the mechanic to inspect the driveshaft and its splines. Otherwise, the drain would have been placed at the bottom of the FD housing.

oh I get it, but I developed a silly little habit,starting w/the r11, in changing and inspecting the FD and tranny oils every 3rd oil change. It just frustrates me to have to change an old habit.

Good information guys. A couple of questions though. Do you have to put the bike on a ramp or is downward clearance ok by just removing the rear wheel and what type of grease do you use to lube the rear splines?

Cheers.

Center stand is fine. Anti-seize on the splines. 75w90 synth. gear oil in the drive.

Make sure you unbolt the ABS sensor and wire before you remove the para-lever bolt.

Archived