IGNORED

My electric windshield died this morning

beemerman2k

At some point in my commute this morning, my windshield moved to the lowest position and stopped working. I remember raising it early in my 35 mile ride to work, then later I noticed it was no longer in the position I left it in, nor could I move it back. The motor seems to have died.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? It's like the switch is totally detatched from the rest of the unit in that when I press it, nothing happens -- no noise, no movement. Why would it retract like that and then stop working? (although, if it is going to die, I would prefer it be in the lowest position).

The screen is controlled by two relays, one for up one for down. They have been a bit problematic. I would start looking there. Unfortunately to troubleshoot you have to take the complete front faring / nose cone off to get to them.

Don't forget to check the fuses first.....

Stan

Nah, tear the bike all the way apart first, post six messages over the next two weeks on the things you've replaced that didn't fix it, in response to the 18 different suggestions posted about what might be wrong, then check the fuse! thumbsup.gifwink.gif

Like Ken said,

I had this problem last year. Usually happens after a bad rain fall or a good wash.

Mine would not come down, just go up (Yes, my windshield grin.gif) . As it was not all the way up it was easy to figure out. It dried out after a few days and started working again. I still removed them and sprayed contact cleaner, coated the connectors with dialectric grease. Have not had a problem since. Also, as a test, you can interchange the relays as they are identical... see if that reverses the problem.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know a relay from a hole in the wall.

I don't think my windshield is what I would call "problematic" as this bike is over 5 years old, and has been my daily means of transportation for the past 40K miles. I rode it through the record California rainfall of last winter without problems. When ever I wash my bike (which isn't often), I use one of those self service car washes and hose the thing down. Even after that I never had a problem with the windshield before. Having said all that, it could well be the relay.

Now, about the fuse theory, wouldn't other devices that rely on the same fuse be affected? My headlights, directionals, PIAA lights, horn, all work. Does the windshield have its own fuse?

Probably the relay. That makes sense.

I had the same exact problem. My problem stemmed from a failed micro switch at the handlebar. It was acting like it was pressing the 'down' switch constantly, which would prevent any movment upwards.

I disassembled the whole front of the bike to start my diagnosis with the relays, but knowing what I know now, I would check the handlebar switches first with a meter as these switches are much more accessable than the relays.

smile.gif

You may have stripped a key or gear in the gearbox of the lift motor. The windsheild is spring loaded to rest in the down position. Bite the bullet and start looking! thumbsup.gif

STRANGE...on my way home from work tonight, my windshield worked! I was riding home at around 8:30PM on the 101 and I was getting a bit cold. In desperation, I hit the windshield button not expecting anything to happen, and to my surprise the windshield came up! Later in the ride the movement was kind of spotty, so I think the problem is the switch and not the windshield mechanism.

...strange... confused.gif

I hit the windshield button not expecting anything to happen, and to my surprise the windshield came up! Later in the ride the movement was kind of spotty, so...

Same symptoms I had. Could be a relay but mine was a bad switch.

I'm heading over to Ken/OC's house tomorrow with a new switch and a couple of new relay's (they're only $10/a piece). So between the two of us genius's, my bike should be trashed by this time tomorrow! tongue.gif

C'mon Ken, somobody on the forum said it was my tires, so nevermind about the switch, I'm taking off the wheels grin.gif

, my bike should be trashed by this time tomorrow!

Isn't that the point of doing your own maintenance? If you get the concise answer from this board, you only fix the issue.

If you go at it with little direction, you can explore and learn about areas of your bike you have no business foolin' with. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

"Nah, tear the bike all the way apart first, post six messages over the next two weeks on the things you've replaced that didn't fix it, in response to the 18 different suggestions posted about what might be wrong, then check the fuse! "

Ken, I see you remember me well! I still haven't forgotten that I owe you dinner next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

... my bike should be trashed by this time tomorrow! tongue.gif

Beemerman, don't waste time replacing fuses, just replace the whole bike, get the K1200S or better yet the new GT grin.gif

I like your thinking! Too bad my wallet doesn't agree bncry.gif

Strangely enough, my electric windshield has been working perfectly send Ken and I worked on my bike! We didn't do anything to fix that windshield! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I'll take it though. Self healing RT? You decide!

We should all be so lucky, James.

It's the intermittent problems that are the worst. Good luck finding yours before it causes you more grief.

Archived