IGNORED

BMW Slow school at Daytona

Toolman

Terry and I signed up for the Slow School not knowing for sure what it was but figuring any training is good for your skills. We switched from Tuesday to Thursday so we could go to the GNCC off road race and boy was that the right choice. It rained all day Tuesday and was sunny and hot [87] wednesday and Thursday. There were 8 of us at the 11AM class. There was only one other RT in the class and it was none other than our founder Carey Littell! It was great to meet and enjoy a few short conversations with Carey!

The school was one hour of very good instruction by two police motorcycle instructors on how to control your motorcycle at slow speed. They demo'd on RT's and made it look much easier than it is. This was a sample of what the motor officers get during their 8 hours a day for 2 weeks riding school. Brad our CHP officer stated that of the 12 in his class only 5 passed! Flicking a RT lock to lock thru a cone weave for an hour will give you a workout! It was excellant training and I recommend you take it if it comes to a location near you. You will definitely pick up some new skills that will enhance your riding experience.It is a confidence builder! Terry on her lowered F650GS did very well altho originally she wanted to take it on her GasGas 250 with the trials motor! I convinced her to use the F650GS since it is her street bike.

All together we had 5 days of rain and 2 days of sun plus 2 travel days in the rain. We spent more time in the truck than on the 4 motorcycles we took. It was still fun!

Howard grin.gif

You'll probably see it offered at more events where BMW has a presence such as the National Rally in WV this summer. It has been very well received in the three locations they have had so far.

Toolman cool.gif

I have to admit that I watched Howard work the cone patterns with envy - he was very smooth. Unlike me, he did not get tossed off the bike and leave the poor RT on its side with the cylinder head buried in the hot asphalt! His bike came out of the class unscathed - good thing since he has such nice custom paint.

I can recommend this sort of training to anyone who wants to improve his or her riding skills - its very challenging and will make you a much better street rider. I was mentally and physically exhausted after our session.

They gave us some copies of the cone/course layout plans, and I am going to continue practicing the drills. I would like to invite anyone who is willing to join me and risk a mirror/Cylinder Cover to practice some weekend here in the bay area.

Anyone can ride an RT fast and in a straight line. Fewer can ride it really really well in the twisties, and fewer still can ride it really really well in tight traffic. I have something new to aspire to - I'll never make it to Sean Daly's level in the turns, but maybe I can get to officer XXXX's standard in the cones!

It was great meeting you Howard- Thanks for your encouragement through the class.

Cary

They gave us some copies of the cone/course layout plans, and I am going to continue practicing the drills. I would like to invite anyone who is willing to join me and risk a mirror/Cylinder Cover to practice some weekend here in the bay area.

Do you think you could post the layout info? Might be good for the rest of us to practice with as well.

Daryll,

Some of the motor course cone layouts can be found at the Alameda County Sheriff (N. Cal) website. Here is the link to the website.

The training center's website also has some video clips of students working some of the patterns.

.... I would like to invite anyone who is willing to join me and risk a mirror/Cylinder Cover to practice some weekend here in the bay area. .......

Cary

Find a time in your schedule, and I'll see how brave I feel then! It certainly could be useful.

Archived