IGNORED

New Boots = Smoother shifts!

George Brown

First, I want to thank all on this board who have recommended Oxtar Boots.

Friday, I visited Ekert BMW outside Detroit and learned that the Cycle World/International MC Show was opening at 4 PM at the Rock Center in Novi, MI. The Rock Center is about 6 or 7 miles from my daughter's home in Plymouth where I was spending the week.

Friday night, my son-in-law and grandson and I went to the show. This was a big break for me because I was planning to attend the show in NYC. This way I didn't have any turnpike, tunnel tolls and NYC parking to deal with. My main reason for attending the show this year was to get new boots.

So, I came home with a new pair of Oxtar Matrix GTX's. Walked around in them a little on Saturday, put them back into the box and returned home yesterday.

Today we were blessed with 55+F and an almost cloudless blue sky, so I managed to get a small ride in about 1 PM. I immediately noticed that my shifts were smoother and quieter. First - 'snick second -'snick third etc. etc.

Couldn't get my toe fully under the shifter easily. Figured out that as I started to slide my toe under, I was actually pre-loading the shifter thereby shifting much smoother. With my old boots I always had a little trouble getting the right preload. Sometimes as I would nudge the shift lever up a little, I would start to shift before engaging the clutch. Other times I would just have timing or coordination problems. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the new boots.

The new boots are a little thicker from top of sole to top of boot because of the shifting pad that Oxtar provides. Also, my old boots, Corbins, had a what I will refer to as a traditional step between the sole and heel where the Oxtars are more filled in at the region thereby causing my feet to be a little higher on the pegs. I may have to adjust my shift lever upward a little but I'm going to get a few more miles like it is before I do anything.

This brings me to a couple of questions and a suggestion. Questions first: How do you guys upshift? Do you put your toe completely under the shifter or do you sort of nudge it up with the top inside edge of your boot? Does anyone see a problem with the later technique?

Suggestion for anyone who is having some difficulty mastering pre-load as I was: perhaps adjusting your shifter might help (However, please remember that after only one 90 minute ride with 100% smooth quiet shifts, I am still not confident that I have mastered anything. The next ride could be back to noisy rough shifts.)

Back to the Oxtars. So far I am very happy. Wearing one set of smart wools under them I found them to be very warm compared to the Corbins. After my ride, I took a 2-1/2 mile walk in them without any discomfort. They take a little getting used to for walking as the soles are tapered toward the inside to compensate for your leg position when straddling a bike and touching ground. Thanks again for the reco's.

This brings me to a couple of questions and a suggestion. Questions first: How do you guys upshift? Do you put your toe completely under the shifter or do you sort of nudge it up with the top inside edge of your boot? Does anyone see a problem with the later technique?

George,

My Oxtars are a bit tight between peg and shifter. I've come to like it that way as it forces me to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, except to shift. Just nudge your foot forward, catch the edge of the shifter and into gear it goes. Before the Oxtars my foot was spending way too much time stuffed under the shifter, impeding my control of the MC.

Thursday is supposed to be 60 and sunny. I'll be playing hookey from work and going for a ride. PM me if you're interested in meeting up...I'm down by Kennett Square.

Regards,

Chris

Archived