IGNORED

Fuel consumption on the Kbike?

wedgeman

Recently picked up a 92KRS (k100).. lotsa fun. I love it...

But the mileage jjust seems to be a bit on the steep side.. I have only tanked it up 3x's, and am running in the low 30's in mileage/gallon.. Todays' clocked in at a scant 31.33mpg. gggeeeezz... I thought my R1100rt was bad--get around 38-42, depending on how hard I ride..

That said, I tned to really wind the KRS a LOT. Generally doubling the speed limit on the way home from work, pretty regularly.

But is this kind of mileage in line??? confused.gif

I have a 92 K75s. I get 45-48 MPG on the Hiway (50+ on non-oxygenated gas)but if I do a lot of stop & go traffic it can drop down to 38-40 MPG.

That said, 31-33 MPG for a K100 seems a little low. Although the 92s run analog fuel injection, I think it's called L-Jetronic, the K100 may have had a different version but basically they have no oxygen sensor so they run a single fuel mapping program based on engine load & rpm. There is a second fuel mapping program for High altitude (Above 4000') that is activated by installing a plug into the fuel injection harness.

With that said, you might start checking your tune up specs, check for vacum leaks, dirty spark plugs, air filter, things like that.

thumbsup.gif

You should be doing better. My 89K100RS would get 33 pulling a trailer, 38-42 playing in the mountains, and a high of 52 once when I was running at an even 65. Check the spark plugs. There is a crankcase breather hose to the airbox hidden behind the intake tubes that tends to develop a crack every 3-4 years. That can cause a mileage problem.

I have a '04 KRS w/ 11,500mi. in 6mos. of ownership. I never get less than 39 mpg. Most time avg. 44-47mpg. Roll off your right hand for a while before you think there is something wrong with the bike.

Bruce C

Dennis Andress

I have a 91 K100 RS which is no longer useable....

A good tank would bring around 40 mpg, 35 was not unheard of. The bike was chipped and had a Remus though....

A few things to check out:

• Check for vacuum leaks around the throttle bodies.
  • Look for gas stains where the intake stubs join the head. The little O'Rings under there do go bad.
  • Find the crankcase vent hose and make sure it's not torn.
  • My thermostat wouldn't stay completely closed causing the enginge to never reach operating tempature on cold days.
  • Check the TPS. Measure with an Ohm meter while working it through it full travel looking for bad spots in the resistor. With the ignition on measure from pin #3 - the inboard one - of the TPS to ground for .380 VDC.
  • There's an CO2 adjustment screw on the front of the electrical box. Make everything else right then have a shop adjust this.
  • Changing the water temp sensor, the one forward on top of the engine - you have to remove the radiator to get to it - made a big difference.

That said, I tned to really wind the KRS a LOT. Generally doubling the speed limit on the way home from work, pretty regularly.

Well there's your problem. For comparison sake, pull it into the highest gear and run 5 over the limit for a whole tank of gas. If I'm just cruising on the highway at 65-70 MPH my '04 K1200RS gets 49 MPG.

Archived