IGNORED

How many also ride other Marques.. Harley , Kawasaki etc..

R80RTKen

Hey folks,

I recently surprised the heck out of myself and bought a brand new 2013 Road King Classic. Ive been riding the RT's and the Kawasaki for 13 years + now, and a lot of older Hondas for the 10 years before that... and I just had the overwhelming urge to get something new and different. I seriously considered a WetHead GS, A Moto Guzzi V7 and a Ducati 848 EVO Corse. All very different bikes..

On a complete whim I was at the HD dealer by my work just looking at the shiny things.. the salesperson commented I always come in and sit on the same black Road King, and when was I going to just admit I liked it and trade my BMW for it..

I told him I am a dyed-in-the wool BMW guy, but sure, I'll take a test ride, but don't get your hopes up, I'm not gonna buy it.. I came back with an ear-to-ear grin, signed the papers and rode it home. I surprised even myself. Its a totally different machine, but its fun to ride. Anyone else here also appreciate the Milwaukee Farm Tractors?

I have no urge to get a beanie helmet, pierce something or get a tattoo on my face, but with ABS, Drive By Wire, Fuel Injection, Air suspension Digital Cruise control, its a modern antique I could very well ride to California and back. I almost feel like I bought a brand new Airhead ha ha..

So I've taken a lot of ribbing and WTF ! HOW COULD YOU!!?! on the various forums, but let me tell you... its fun to ride, quiet like a Toyota Prius, and much more comfortable than a lot of other bikes Ive ridden.. I love it..

Anyone else here got one?

640x480xmain.php,qg2_view=core.DownloadItem,ag2_itemId=554,ag2_serialNumber=2.pagespeed.ic.YjXzLDLvju.jpg

Welcome Ken,

You've selected a topic that some folks consider to be religion so buckle up. :lurk: I had a Road King and liked it a lot. It's a different animal but well made and fun to ride. I've owned lots of bikes over the years and had fun with just about all of them (the damn Ossa would tax my patience some times though :grin:). I find it funny how some riders compare motorcycles as if there's one, flat, consistent measure of what makes a good bike. I've owned a number of pickup trucks over the years and never expected any of them to do what my Austin Healy Sprite would do. :rofl: I say, vive la différence!!

I get it, different is good. :thumbsup: Probably would not be my only bike but I've owned a Harley or two since 86. Enjoy sitting back and chugging down the road every now and again. Good luck with yours.

IMG_1857.jpg

Pat

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I've owned a number of pickup trucks over the years and never expected any of them to do what my Austin Healy Sprite would do.

You mean the driving feel or the oil leak rate?

Said the owner of a TR6 that is leak free......the plug wires are not leaking any oil

In addition to my R1200RT, I have a CVO Road Glide Ultra. There's something very visceral about the big twins. The Road Glide is an excellant touring machine. Not so much in the twistys because of the limited lean angles and heavy weight. But it's a very comfortable pleasent ride. Mine's not modified so not noisy and I don't do the beanie, do-rag stuff but the modern Harleys are pretty decent machines. With all that said, I'd trade my Road Glide for a new K1600 in the blink of an eye. I still enjoy that extra power and superior handling.

I get it, different is good. :thumbsup: Probably would not be my only bike but I've owned a Harley or two since 86. Enjoy sitting back and chugging down the road every now and again. Good luck with yours.

Pat

Hey Pat, I'm over here in Chelmsford.. Should go for a ride one of these days...

Perhaps you MA riders are going through PTSD from recent events and self-medicating yourselves with feel good motorcycles?

Who said HD's are no good in the twisties due to weight and limited lean angles? No problem with lean angles on my '09 FLHP.

DSCN0133.jpg

Hey Pat, I'm over here in Chelmsford.. Should go for a ride one of these days...

We could do that! :thumbsup: Maybe Sunday?

When did ya move up this way?

Pat

Friday Saturday and Sunday I'll be hosting the Frosty Nuts Campout in Vermont with the YB's, Feel free to join! Its at Wilgus State Park. If you don't camp, there is a hotel nearby. Its a great time! I'l be cooking dinner for everone at 5 so of you wanna eat get there early!

I moved up to Chelms about a year ago from RI. Are you a YB?

I moved up to Chelms about a year ago from RI. Are you a YB?

Never joined the Yankee Beemers, not sure why. I've seen your posts on that camp out, looks like a fun time but I'll be riding my dirt bike on Sat. We'll find time to ride I'm sure! :thumbsup:

Pat

Hey folks,

Anyone else here also appreciate the Milwaukee Farm Tractors?

See below: They are great bikes, you will enjoy that beautiful HD a lot. I've been riding mine for 25 years, been the least troublesome bike I have ever had.

No HD's but when I want to ride something fast AND comfy I take the Wing, but don't tell anybody. :)

Can I borrow somebody's fingers, i'm out.. :wave:

Pat

Yeah, I guess you could say I ride other bikes:)

And I thought I had a problem..

dood.. you're my hero!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Yeah, I guess you could say I ride other bikes:)

I love the smell of bean oil in the morning. Afternoon, evening, etc.

Guest Kakugo

My RT shares the stable with a Honda:

DSCF0995.jpg

DSCF1009.jpg

Truth to be told there's one bike that's been on my mind ever since it came out: the Aprilia RSV4, especially the Factory version.

When you consider how much the equivalent Ducati costs and how the RSV4F is equipped it's great bang for the buck.

However... I am a known penny pincher. I got the Honda last year on a zero cost operation after selling my track bike (put back in 100% original condition) plus 99% of the special parts and spares I had laying around. Since I am already saving for the R1200RT LC the Ape can and will wait! Just don't tell my RT. :dopeslap:

Beanie helmet? Last week I was driving along and got passed by a K1600GT whose rider wore one of those things, so it's not strictly an H-D thing.

No HD's, but in the past years I've owned two RT's, a 650 V-strom and an FJR. I'd own the V-strom again. Kick a$s little bike. Smooth. Plenty fast enough. And you can buy a used 2008+ with 5K miles and ABS for around $4500. Another $1800 turns it into a great sport tourer (RDL, hard luggage and trunk, and a decent screen). Put about 9000 on mine in a year, and if I hadn't come across another low-mileage Boston Green RT, I'd still be riding the Suzuki today.

I just bought a Dyna ,,My first HD,,,Fun bike,,,Been kicking around getting a Street Glide,,,Poor RT just sitting there waiting ,,,, IMG_0680.jpg

Bill_Walker

I put 10,000 miles on a Road King before I traded it for my RT. It was a great bike for a "slow down and enjoy the scenery" ride, and that's what I bought it for. But the more I rode it, the more I realized I wasn't that kind of rider. Toward the end of my ownership, if you saw a guy on a red '02 RK going fast around a corner, quasi-hanging off, with the occasional sparks flying from the floorboards, that was probably me. And the RK was undoubtedly H-Ds best Big Twin for that: highest lean angle without grounding, and triple-disk brakes for stopping. But it still wasn't all that good at it (although I gather they've improved the handling via frame upgrades since then).

Plus, I never could buy into the religion.

As to other bikes, I still have my '02 V-Strom 1000, and I had a Ducati ST4 before that. It took me a few tries to "find myself" as a rider.

Every now and then I think about renting a bike from the local Harley dealer and doing a three day weekend down the Blue Ridge Parkway. But I'm only allowed to own one motorcycle so I'll just stick with my sport touring one.

------

Currently own

'99 R1100RT {mid build into a GS style+}

'86 R80G/S {not sure what to do with it...Dakar replica?}

'65 Yamaha YM1 305 twin {I also love the smell of 2T in the morning}

Sold in the last few years

'08 KTM 530 EXCR {Maybe my favorite bike ever}

'07 Yamaha WR250F {Daughters bike, but I loved it, fun}

'08 Yamaha YZ 450 {Favorite pure MX bike, would still own if not for a shattered and now fused wrist}

'02 HD Dyna Superglide {good riddence..NO more HDs in my future after 3}

Missouri Bob
Hey folks,

I recently surprised the heck out of myself and bought a brand new 2013 Road King Classic. Ive been riding the RT's and the Kawasaki for 13 years + now, and a lot of older Hondas for the 10 years before that... and I just had the overwhelming urge to get something new and different. I seriously considered a WetHead GS, A Moto Guzzi V7 and a Ducati 848 EVO Corse. All very different bikes..

On a complete whim I was at the HD dealer by my work just looking at the shiny things.. the salesperson commented I always come in and sit on the same black Road King, and when was I going to just admit I liked it and trade my BMW for it..

I told him I am a dyed-in-the wool BMW guy, but sure, I'll take a test ride, but don't get your hopes up, I'm not gonna buy it.. I came back with an ear-to-ear grin, signed the papers and rode it home. I surprised even myself. Its a totally different machine, but its fun to ride. Anyone else here also appreciate the Milwaukee Farm Tractors?

I have no urge to get a beanie helmet, pierce something or get a tattoo on my face, but with ABS, Drive By Wire, Fuel Injection, Air suspension Digital Cruise control, its a modern antique I could very well ride to California and back. I almost feel like I bought a brand new Airhead ha ha..

So I've taken a lot of ribbing and WTF ! HOW COULD YOU!!?! on the various forums, but let me tell you... its fun to ride, quiet like a Toyota Prius, and much more comfortable than a lot of other bikes Ive ridden.. I love it..

I like the RK Classic. Unfortunately, HD (according to motorcycle.com) is going to discontinue it for the U.S. market. http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/04/15/manufacturers/harley-davidson/harley-davidson-discontinuing-road-glide-and-other-models-for-2014/?utm_source=mo04182013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Maybe it will return after a year or two.

Bob

A week and a half ago, I picked up a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive with less than 3000 miles on it.

Now I just need to decide whether to keep or sell the 05 RT.

Tough decision, but I REALLY like the Automatic tranny here in the SoCal traffic cesspool.

A week and a half ago, I picked up a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive with less than 3000 miles on it.

Now I just need to decide whether to keep or sell the 05 RT.

Tough decision, but I REALLY like the Automatic tranny here in the SoCal traffic cesspool.

Hey Pat, I had an '82 FXR, nice chassis for an HD, much better trans than the older ones, still a bit rough around the edges with the Shovelhead motor though. My Dyna TC was a more powerful and smoother motor with a good trans {better than my R1100RT} but the frame was a bit flexy compared to the FXR.

lawnchairboy

Had a 1200 sporty in Japan.

Had a road king, did a SS 1000 on it.

XR 80 a looooong time ago.

Now: RT, GS, & DR 650

Have had 2 Suzukies, 2 Kawaskies, 1 Honda, 2 Triumphs, and 1 BMW...

Had every type of bike from standards (Suzuki GS650 and GS850), to Cruisers (Vulcan 1500a and Honda Valkyre Tourer), to Retro (Triumph Thunderbird Sport), to Sport Tourer (BMW R1100RT-P and a Concours 1000) to a Adventure Bike (Triumph Tiger)...

ended up almost to where I started with a HD Road King.

Its been a crazy ride :dopeslap:

They ALL have their good and bad points.

Just remember when you are on the Harley don't wave at the BMW guys. When you are on the BMW don't wave at the Harley guys.

Beautiful bike. Different bikes for different rides. We have BMWs as well as a Yamaha. We've had a few Hondas as well. Cruiser around town, the BMW around the towns.

Rich06FJR1300

no bmw's...just a honda (vfr) and a yamaha (FJR)...harley? well, maybe? i dunno...its too much money for that image LOL

Newest: BMW 1150 RTP

First: '03 Kawasaki KLR 650

Second: '03 Triumph Tiger 955i

Third: Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Love my KLR. Won't ever sell her...too many adventures already :)

Sold the Triumph, and I kick myself often.

Will be selling the Vulcan sometime this next year, but no rush, still riding it each week.

Right now there are three bikes in the garage. I ride my '06 RT 95% of the time, the wifes '10 Shadow RS 3% and my neighbor's '06 Suzuki C50 the remaining 2%. My neighbors is at my house because he doesn't ride it at all and since he is paying for maintenance, insurance, etc, why not, although, I don't much like to ride it alot as it sits too low and I scrape the floorboards way too much.

I'm working toward the addition of a S1000RR or HP4,.....hopefully.

JonathanE

Never owned a HD. I've ridden a few when bike swapping with friends while out on trips, and I've never enjoyed any of the Harley Davidsons that I've ridden. OTOH, I have very much enjoyed every bike I've owned, some more than others. Currently, I have a VFR800A (VTech), an R1150GS, and a DR-Z400S. They are all excellent bikes. In fact, my wife's Vespa is even truly excellent (but kinda pricey) at what it is designed to do.

Then again, if I had more discretionary income, I'd consider selling them all and replacing them with a pair of KTMs, lets say a 950SE and a 690 Enduro. Those two would adequately cover all types of riding that I currently like to do, especially since my least ridden bike nowadays is the VFR.

I do like the idea of the new BMW GS as well as the new KTM Adventure, but they are both a bit too much (heavy, expensive, sophisticated, complicated, etc . . . ) for my idea of adventure riding, and I don't have any plans for slab touring any time soon. If I did have one in the garage, I'd probably find reasons to go ride some more mega-rides.

baggerchris

1997 HD FLSTC (sixth Harley) (Smokey)

1972 Honda 90

2011 F650 GS twin (third Beemer) (Blue)

I can't imagine being without at least one Harley.

Besides my RT, my other bike is a 2012 FLTRU. Two different animals with different missions. Like them both.

bayoubengal

06 CRF250X

06 Polaris Sportsman400

04 Kawi Mule

72 CB-175

70 Z-50 Mini-Trail

Adding mid-size dual sport or adv bike soon, prolly a KLR...

I have ridden several Harleys and not yet found one that I would ride even if it were given to me. I buy motorcycles that I can actually ride and go places on, not archaic shiny ones to impress the neighbors. If I can't lean into corners withut grinding metal motorcycle parts on the pavement I have no use for it.

Buell XB12 Ulysess that I owned was impressive in a lot of ways. After Eric worked his magic on the engine it was a blast to ride and bore little resemblence to the Sportster engine that it started out life as. And it handled like a sport bike too. Not really a Harley though is it?

My 'other rride' is a Ducati and I am very happy with it and my 1200GS Camhead, thank you.

I buy motorcycles that I can actually ride and go places on, not archaic shiny ones to impress the neighbors.

Some of us do go places on our Harleys.

After a full year with the Road Glide, here's how I would compare it to the RT:

Winter riding: I ride all winter long, excepting days with snow and ice. The Road Glide offers superior protection. The RT spent the winter on a battery tender.

Summer riding: Between the full fairing and the engine heat, the Harley can be brutal in hot weather. Prefer the RT, especially for city riding.

Touring: Depends upon the daily distances and the amount of interstate riding. For longer tours with a lot of highway miles the Harley does it better for me. Last year I took it on a 3000 mile shake-down tour through Pennsylvania and New England and will be taking it down to Key West in a couple of weeks. It's made for that kind of touring. For shorter tours with less interstate riding I prefer the RT.

Two-up: Road Glide all the way. In fact, that was my main reason for buying it.

I like the way the HD look, but they are cramped for how big and heavy they are. Victory's do have a lot more room, if that matters.

I like the way the HD look, but they are cramped for how big and heavy they are. Victory's do have a lot more room, if that matters.

I like Vicotry but I worry it will end up like Indian and Excelsior.

Bill_Walker

I like Vicotry but I worry it will end up like Indian and Excelsior.

Victory's parent company, Polaris, now owns Indian and just developed an all-new engine for Indian. I don't think Victory is going away any time soon, unless, just maybe, Indian really takes off for them and they decide to scrap the Victory brand.

I rather think that the acquisition of Indian might allow one brand or the other to branch out into non-cruiser bikes. Back before most of us were born, Indian had a successful racing reputation. But then again, so did H-D.

Archived